PDA

View Full Version : Captain's Galley makes good food guide editors choice awards

changilass
15-Aug-08, 15:27
taken from September Which Magazine:-

"Best Fish Restaraunt

The Captain's Galley, Scrabster, Caithness

It's a treat to find a small friendly space offering such a wealth of locally sourced seafood (its harbour location gives views of the local boats bringing in the day's catch). The fact that it's all fully sustainable is a bonus. Jim Cowie, working on his own in the kitchen, takes you on a whistle-stop world tour, from vichyssoise with a smoked local oyster via miso-cured fish with Thai jasmine rice to 'tapas' of monkfish liver and salt fish brandade. In lesser hands, you'd be nervous, but in the stone-walled former ice house, with his charming wife Mary pouring you a glass of reisling, it feels just right."

This wasn't best in the highlands, it is best overall as far as the editor is concerned.

Well done Jim and Mary.

Skerries
15-Aug-08, 15:52
I'd be interested to know what the reviewer means by "fully sustainable". Is it the fish? Or the other ingredients? Or both, and the way the premises is run?

Which seafood are regarded as "sustainable" nowadays, because the stock levels change every year? Some stocks are healthy one year and not another. The fishermen don't get paid much either, that's not "sustainable" if you're a crewman with a family. The price of fish in the supermarket or a restaurant doesn't filter back to Joe Bloggs's wages from gutting fish on a boat.

It's easy to bandy about these terms but when you scratch the surface it often doesn't mean anything.

Rant over :roll:

armanisgirl
15-Aug-08, 18:39
Awww surely the owners and staff should be complimented on having some public recommendations made? Well done I say! The catering business is such a hard place to get any recognition, let alone something as public! Also, it's giving Caithness some positive publicity, which may in turn attract a few more visitors, thus improving the local economy; dining in a local eatery often brings some stories on other local places of interest, generating income for each area. Hey, you may even get some celebrities coming up for a spot of lunch!! [lol]

Cinderella's Shoe
15-Aug-08, 19:14
Brilliant news - long may it continue.

Well done to Jim, Mary and staff.

Anne x
15-Aug-08, 19:19
Have had lovely meals there the Mine Hosts are great Jim & Mary always go that bit extra my compliment to them was Smoked Haddock and Creamy Mash just like my Mam made
On the down side OH thought portions were small although superb