PDA

View Full Version : Distracted drivers...

Bobinovich
15-Aug-08, 11:28
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080815/tuk-distracted-drivers-face-jail-dba1618.html

About bloomin' time IMO. There's really no excuse for any of it.

pat
15-Aug-08, 14:00
totally agree Bobinovich - a vehicle is a lethal weapon.

If not in total control they should face the consequences - too many are getting off with what I consider to be murder (texting, phoning, reading etc whilst being in charge of a lethal weapon, other folk have been killed due to the person not being in total control).

Many escape with a puny fine - how would you feel if it was your family member or friend who died or massive injuries and their lives were only worth a £100 fine.

Sapphire2803
15-Aug-08, 14:05
Yep, I agree and it's not just mobile phones, I wish I had £1 for every time I've been following a car - usually a small hatchback and usually a young man - and I've watched the car wandering around the road as the driver leans over and fiddles about with the stereo, digs cd's out of the glovebox etc...

Sandra_B
15-Aug-08, 14:05
About time! It's frightening to see how many HGV drivers are not paying attention to the road. On a recent trip we passed lorries where the drivers were reading, eating (bowl and spoon), texting, or watching TV/DVD!!

joxville
15-Aug-08, 16:11
Worst drivers I've seen have been the elderly. I recall one trying to park a new Mini outside Johnstons bakery in Thurso. A parking space that was about 40' long took 5 minutes to get into, including 2 attempts at reversing into the space-one of which resulted in half the car being on the pavement. I'd hate to see him on the open road.

northener
15-Aug-08, 18:51
Well, I saw something I've never seen before in Wick today:

Disabled bay outside Somerfields, two cars parked perfectly in the bays. Along comes Old Wifey and attempts to park in the yellow painted wide access area between the two parked cars................

She'd have done it too, - if she hadn't been told to off by one of the people in the disabled bays.

I kid you not!

Tilter
15-Aug-08, 19:01
Strongly agree Bobinovich, having recently spent time on the M4 trying to get away from a van weaving dangerously all over the lanes. I thought he was drunk as a skunk, but no - an extra close weave revealed he'd merely been trying to programme his Satnav.

However, laws are fine but they're never going to get policed much I shouldn't think.

Anne x
15-Aug-08, 19:12
On Dual carriageway driving along side me was a 4x4 type thing full of young kids mother smoking !! and speaking into a mobile phone wavering all over the road
I eventually swopped lanes and came in behind her to "Read Baby on Board Sign" in back window Pity she didnt think about the babies health that day and put her Mobile away and her cigarette

northener
15-Aug-08, 19:19
............I eventually swopped lanes and came in behind her to "Read Baby on Board Sign" in back window........

S'funny how a lot of prats on the road have some sign telling people they have kids on board.

The shield of invincibility!

joxville
15-Aug-08, 19:24
Strongly agree Bobinovich, having recently spent time on the M4 trying to get away from a van weaving dangerously all over the lanes. I thought he was drunk as a skunk, but no - an extra close weave revealed he'd merely been trying to programme his Satnav.

However, laws are fine but they're never going to get policed much I shouldn't think.

Who is going to police the police? They say that drivers of police cars are highly trained but I would have to argue the point. Is a police driver of say 3 or 4 years experience a better driver than me with 25 years of experience? I've seen police drivers using one hand to drive and the other holding a two way radio so how can they justify that?
Any car, regardless of experience, is only properly controlled with both hands on the steering wheel.

Incidentally, occassionally there would be a police car parked at the roundabout junction outside my work. One time a colleague left work and on reaching the roundabout he turned left. He got 1 mile from work before being stopped by the police car. They were going to give him a ticket for failing to signal when he turned left. After he pointed out that they had been illegally parked at the junction for 30 mins and he could prove it with our CCTV system they let him go with a warning!

percy toboggan
15-Aug-08, 20:09
About time! It's frightening to see how many HGV drivers are not paying attention to the road. On a recent trip we passed lorries where the drivers were reading, eating (bowl and spoon), texting, or watching TV/DVD!!

Were you in a vehicle of equal height? Presumably you were on a coach which gave you a good view of the drivers and their cabs.

How many of these people eating and watching telly were in foreign registered trucks. How many were actually sitting in the passenger seat of a foreign truck and you didn'rt realise it was a left hooker?

SAt-Nav screens should be banned in cars or trucks...those drivers who eat corn-flakes, text message or watch telly whilst driving a lorry should be hung,drawn and quartered.

Sandra_B
16-Aug-08, 11:28
Were you in a vehicle of equal height? Presumably you were on a coach which gave you a good view of the drivers and their cabs.

How many of these people eating and watching telly were in foreign registered trucks. How many were actually sitting in the passenger seat of a foreign truck and you didn'rt realise it was a left hooker?

SAt-Nav screens should be banned in cars or trucks...those drivers who eat corn-flakes, text message or watch telly whilst driving a lorry should be hung,drawn and quartered.

We were driving through France and the lorries were from all over Europe. Our van is left-hand drive so when we passed them I was right beside the drivers and could see clearly. I was paying particular notice because I had watched a programme on TV which talked about dangerous driving and foreign drivers. It didn't seem possible that people would be reading/watching DVD's behine the wheel, but I saw it for myself.

I think the programme was on the BBC a couple of months ago.