PDA

View Full Version : A report from Surgery this morning.

Roughshooter
15-Aug-08, 10:56
The 9.40am appointment was a man with 4 Labrador puppies 16weeks old all dogs, the 5 bitches have all been sold. The reason for his visit? to have all 4 dogs Put To Sleep why? because he couldnt sell them and they were no longer "cost effective to keep" his words not mine.

5 Bitches sold? 4 dogs unsellable?..... Why?
If this not good reason to make people situp and take notice that
Puppies ARE NOT selling, people DO NOT have the money for them just now, the end result is a one way trip to the vets or give them to rescue, it is just a nightmare one I am sorry to say breeders just DON'T seem to understand.

justine
15-Aug-08, 11:05
seems to me that the easiest option is to do what i did, castrate them, stop breeding them and let the poor mites have a chance in life.
Maybe they should bring in a system where dogs must be castrated, unless they are studded.We have to microchip them by law so why not castrate.
Seems an awful waste of a life to me, and the vets should never be able to take a puppies life without there being medical reasons,. Sad Sad story..

porshiepoo
15-Aug-08, 11:20
What a sad story.
The bitches have probably sold quicker for potential breeding in the future.
Did the vet actually go ahead and put them down??

teenybash
15-Aug-08, 12:19
Shame on the 'breeder?????' [disgust] who is obviously irresponsible, who had the puppies put down......and shame on the 'vet' who carried out this dreadful and cruel action.[mad]

cat
15-Aug-08, 12:44
so sad.i hate to ask but did they get put to sleep?
i would have all 4,but you are right,everything is getting so expensive that having pets is becoming a luxury.:(
surely it never hapened,vet here wouldnt put my neighbours dog down for attacking mine so surely 4 puppies would be given a chance?

brandy
15-Aug-08, 13:45
i want to know as well.. will happily take one to keep it from being detroyed!

ciderally
15-Aug-08, 13:57
this is awfull...owner should be banned from breeding his dogs in the future...and the vet should have him reported to rspca....

Sandra_B
15-Aug-08, 14:06
Very sad. I hope the vet refused. In some countries it's illegal to put a healthy animal down.

Torvaig
15-Aug-08, 14:11
But what is the alternative for the pups; in a bag with some stones and thrown into a river or the sea or maybe just in a bucket one by one? :confused

I know which I would prefer; a gentle going to sleep in a safe environment....

Sandra_B
15-Aug-08, 14:18
But what is the alternative for the pups; in a bag with some stones and thrown into a river or the sea or maybe just in a bucket one by one? :confused

I know which I would prefer; a gentle going to sleep in a safe environment....

You've got a good point there.

brandy
15-Aug-08, 14:25
yes but then on the other side o the coin.. they could have been given away or taken to balmore.

golden
15-Aug-08, 14:59
aww that's a shame ! Torvaig and brandy you've both got good points there, there's also LabRescue...

However, do you know if the vet did carry out the ops ? If not then I may be able to adopt one of the pups.. I love black lab digs ;o)

cuddlepop
15-Aug-08, 16:44
This like the poster saisd is not an isolated case and like you all I'm disgusted with this attitude of some breeders.

Those poor wee pups didnt ask to be born and on another note its kinder in "crofting" circles to get rid of the pups before their eyes are even open,these pups have "seen" what life is like.:(

Roughshooter
15-Aug-08, 16:51
Report the breeder to SSPCA/ yes! good idea but.... what has he done wrong? Nothing, infact as far as the latter is concerned he is doing the best thing, as posted elsewhere it beats a bag of bricks and some water etc.

The point is to many people are now breeding and for all the wrong reasons, you know Rover is great with the kids so a litter would be just like Him/Her and rubbish like that. Until someone, somewhere, somehow can get it into the heads of these people that they should only breed when all the puppies have been pre-sold the problem can and will in the coming months only get worse, this at the moment happens about once a month we are expecting a increase as and when the credit crunch bites, it is for now at least a sad fact of life.

The answer to the question you all want to know Did they get put to sleep? No and now all for are safe and sound to live out their life just as it should be. A dog in circumstances such as this will never be put to sleep here.

binbob
15-Aug-08, 16:52
i can hardly believe what i am reading...surely there was another option via a rescue service???

i have a neighbour who was given her black lab last year as breeder[local in caithness] could not sell the puppies either.

it is about time breeders for lack of better description] saw the light.it is no way to make an easy buck ...research the market and i really think no more labs bred in caithness for sometime????
surely the welfare and life of the animal is of the utmost importance..
very very sad.

brandy
15-Aug-08, 17:11
what a relief to know they were not killed!

teenybash
15-Aug-08, 18:43
What a blessing the pups willl now have their gift of life...........Each one will be a blessing. :)

It should be compulsory that dogs and cats should be spayed or neutered....too many puppies and kittens, cats and dogs populate animal shelters, most waiting in the vain hope of finding a caring home....................To all you 'wanna be breeders'....get your head on round the right way and stop thinking about you pocket and over inflated ego!!!!!

Tilter
15-Aug-08, 19:40
This thread actually made me cry.

Julia
15-Aug-08, 19:51
I'd like to think that any reputable Vet would not put a healthy dog or pup to sleep just because the breeder cannot sell them, that's disgusting.

Labs are one of the more common breeds and I'm sure I've read somewhere in Kennel Club literature that about 40,000+ pups are registered every year, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

cat
15-Aug-08, 20:51
iv no idea who the breeder is,but i can see both sides,almost.they may be a breeder that bred for the money.but having had labs all my life and knowing how good mine have always been,then yes i have been tempted to have a litter from one or two of my dogs,but what has happened here has been why i havent,i was always scared that they wouldnt all get good homes,and i knew id be very choosey what homes they went to,so iv never bred them,incase i ended up with 15!!
hope they all get happy homes and the breeder and many more breeders stop for a while,as many people cannot afford pets now and you only have to look in scot ads every week to see they arent selling

purplelady
15-Aug-08, 23:15
put the breeder to sleep is my answer people like him do not deserve to have animals poor wee mnites they never asked to be born to me that is as cruel as throwing them in a river .

binbob
16-Aug-08, 10:28
put the breeder to sleep is my answer people like him do not deserve to have animals poor wee mnites they never asked to be born to me that is as cruel as throwing them in a river .

my sentiments too...

purplelady
16-Aug-08, 22:34
my sentiments too...sorry but that sort of thing just makes my blood boil they poor inocent animals who never asked to be born and poeple like that breeder to me are scrum .

teenybash
16-Aug-08, 23:40

A great big ditto........................[mad]

dousslesh
17-Aug-08, 09:32
This post reinforces my confidence and faith in our Vet Practices in this area. I have always believed that our local practice operates as a business ( which inevitably it is) but with compassion and commonsense. We use the Wick practice which In believe is part of the Wick/ Thurso Partnership ? Wish I had shares in the business though seem to spend a fortune there !!!!!!!!:D
Agree with the postings re Irresponsible breeders ( Guess that is what they are ....!) and sorry; I for one agree with refusing to carry adverts for pups on this Forum . I don't often see adverts for kittens DELIBERATLY breed for sale. Often bitches are breed to provide pups -Why otherwise would 4 dogs be considered 'surplus to requirements ' and not the bitches ? Making money from the sale of pups is abhorrent and cruel and owners should think once, twice and forever before breeding . If you love your dog PLEASE make sure they do not contribute to the sadly ever growing number of unwanted pets . Sorry - rant over !

binbob
17-Aug-08, 10:16
This post reinforces my confidence and faith in our Vet Practices in this area. I have always believed that our local practice operates as a business ( which inevitably it is) but with compassion and commonsense. We use the Wick practice which In believe is part of the Wick/ Thurso Partnership ? Wish I had shares in the business though seem to spend a fortune there !!!!!!!!:D
Agree with the postings re Irresponsible breeders ( Guess that is what they are ....!) and sorry; I for one agree with refusing to carry adverts for pups on this Forum . I don't often see adverts for kittens DELIBERATLY breed for sale. Often bitches are breed to provide pups -Why otherwise would 4 dogs be considered 'surplus to requirements ' and not the bitches ? Making money from the sale of pups is abhorrent and cruel and owners should think once, twice and forever before breeding . If you love your dog PLEASE make sure they do not contribute to the sadly ever growing number of unwanted pets . Sorry - rant over !
very well said...and ditto too.

wrightrasta
17-Aug-08, 10:29
Alot of people see puppies as easy money and breed from dogs that should not be bred from. Maybe the guy was asking to much for the dogs and wouldnt drop his price. In the scot-ads this weekend there was someone advertising labradoodle pups for £500 who in there right mind would pay that for a cross? Maybe if it was full pedigree.

I have bred dogs in the past but I have had all the pups sold before they are born and Ive never asked for more than they cost to rear and jab.

Regards wrightrasta

Roughshooter
17-Aug-08, 20:00
Thank you for your input.

I hope and pray that in some way this might make even one person planning on breeding just now any puppies to think again as things will only get worse in the coming months.

In answer to a earlier post your are almost correct, 47,697 Labradors wer registered with the KC and SKC in 2007, and so far in 2008 29,389.

I will leave you with this FACT....

Take One Labrador bitch that has the average number of puppies from ONE litter 6 for 5yrs, then each of those 6 Labs has one litter of 6 for 5yrs and repeat over a 5 yr period thats a hell of a lot of puppies try around 9000 now maybe you can see just what a problem there is. (I used Labs as they were mentioned) but it could apply to any breed.