PDA

View Full Version : A levels and the strive for excellence

Rheghead
14-Aug-08, 23:46
What is the point if every A level candidate gets a grade A in an A level or if very few fail an A-Level? Surely by definition, excellence defines an elite but if everyone is over-achieving then there is no meaning to the grading system?:confused

Oddquine
15-Aug-08, 00:40
What is the point if every A level candidate gets a grade A in an A level or if very few fail an A-Level? Surely by definition, excellence defines an elite but if everyone is over-achieving then there is no meaning to the grading system?:confused

Frankly, I think it is the application of targets and the fact that there is the ability to influence results within the marking of course work that makes the difference.

Scottish schools have targets........but don't seem to think they are the be all and end all of life.

So I guess it depends on what you are allowed to call a fail.

In Scotland anything below grade C is a fail...if only just.....but in England it seems that anything above an E is a "pass"....though universities have more sense than to accept them.

So I guess that if Scotland were to adopt the English criteria then our passes would approach the 97.2% of candidates taking A-levels this summer achieved A to E passes, up from 96.9% last year.

But I hope we never do!

Westsider3
16-Aug-08, 09:37
There is a tremendous pressure on teachers to constantly improve standards within the education system. Perhaps the fact that so many children are achieving good grades could be credited to teachers doing a good job in motivating these children to learn and to do well?! But I'm sure they won't and next year they will be damned if achievement targets fall!

I do agree though that they maybe need to raise the pass criteria to allow a new, higher level in light of the fabulous results that are being achieved. But how about a little praise in the time being for the children and staff (teachers, auxillaries, parents) who helped them get there?!