PDA

View Full Version : Leaving home

sweetpea
14-Aug-08, 22:42
I was thinking about people growing up and setting out on their own and my experiences and wondered what are the circumstances and ages that young folk leave the nest these days?
Is it to get married or go to Uni or what? Or is it because they're forced out?

mums angels
14-Aug-08, 23:33
I left home when i was 16 to move in with my now hubby as i was pregnant , My sister left for uni as did my eldest brother , then my other brother left to join marines , returned again then left for college .

so from most other people i know its college , uni , apprenticeships that usually make them fly the nest occasionally a pregnancy but glad to say i personally don't know anyone who has been forced out of there home but also don't know anyone who left when they got married ,most are living with there to be hubbys before that :lol:

Bobinovich
15-Aug-08, 01:04
Got on really well with my mum, so when we had a big fall out, when I was 17, I felt that was the right time to move out.

Best thing I ever did - quickly taught me budgeting, basic cooking, independence & self-dependence, but also helped me discover a network of friends.

Oddquine
15-Aug-08, 01:15
I moved out when I married (pregnant).(40 years ago)

My daughter moved out to do an RGN in Aberdeen.(after Highers in 1985)

My son moved out, eventually.........around age 18 to live with his partner (later wife........now ex-wife and best friend)

So by the time my marriage died a death............there was nobody but me at home!

NLP
15-Aug-08, 10:42
I moved out just before I got married at 21

BRIE
15-Aug-08, 10:57
I moved out after I left college, not by choice! my father told me I wasnt staying at home without a job & within a week he had me moved into a shared house where i knew no-one.Lucky for me I found a job straight away & never looked back.

justine
15-Aug-08, 11:01
left when i was 14-15, joined the army 1 1/2 yrs later, have never looked back. Am now 38 married with kids.Great life..

arana negra
15-Aug-08, 11:18
I left when I got married, moved in with my sister till we got a house sorted out. One of my sons moved out and in amd out in till he was about 20 the other moved out a few months before his wedding. Most folk I knew stayed home till got married.

Here some still stay at home till mid 20's or later as they cannot afford to get married or have their own place. Wedding presents can include loads or bricks, tiles, various building materials etc it can take years to build their own house.

changilass
15-Aug-08, 11:56
I love the idea of getting someone a pallet load of bricks for a wedding present, much better than them ending up with a lifes supply of toasters.

Thumper
15-Aug-08, 12:28
I left home when I was 19 when I got married,returned home 5 years later when it fell apart and stayed with Mum and Dad until I got my own home a few months later,it was hard going being "back at home" as my parents reverted to treating me like a child...including the old "where are you going and when will you be home" routine!But that was a small price to pay for some security when I needed it x

Sapphire2803
15-Aug-08, 13:59
Left home when I was 17 and then moved back because Mum needed help nursing Dad. Moved out again at 21. There's only so much "Where are you going, what time will you be back?" that I can take and by then my Dad had passed away. Now my Mum lives with me because she's not well, so I guess I'm back where I started! :lol:

joxville
15-Aug-08, 16:22
My seven siblings had all left home, with the eldest living in England. My mum was visiting them after the birth of their first child and because my sister-in-law was suffering from post-natal depression my mum decided to stay on in England and look after them, eventually getting her own place. My dad had died a few years earlier so there wasn't anything to hold mum back. So I didn't leave home-my mum did!

cuddlepop
15-Aug-08, 16:32
I left home at 20 when i finished college to go and live on skye with my future husband.

My son was also 20 when he moved into digs with friends and my daughter got a flat for rental when she turned 18.

One of my brothers though was 40 and still living with my mum,very much like the sitcome with Ronnie Corbet.:lol:

karia
15-Aug-08, 17:14
In my days as a features journalist I was asked to write an article on men returning home to live with parents long term.

My research showed me it was surprisingly prevalent.... but not so for women.

It seems the guys wanted an easy life with minimum responsibilities and the girls wanted their independence at all costs.

armanisgirl
15-Aug-08, 18:33
Got on really well with my mum, so when we had a big fall out, when I was 17, I felt that was the right time to move out.

Best thing I ever did - quickly taught me budgeting, basic cooking, independence & self-dependence, but also helped me discover a network of friends.

I was 16 when I had my big fallout with my mum, and was asked to leave! yep, it helped with the above, but may not have been the best way of learning these skills! I am now too independent, something family often tell me! It might not be a bad thing considering my ex didn't financially support us, but in my current relationship it does cause a few minor waves when I refuse to allow him to pay for things! It's a habit I just cannot get out of now!

I know of a few men either not leaving home until later in life or returning following a relationship breakdown. I couldn't bear to live at my mum's again though, a few hours visiting can be enough! [lol][lol]

moncur
15-Aug-08, 18:55
I left at 18 to go to uni, soon returned home because i didnt like uni at the time. was a bit of a shock to the system living back with the rents but they pretty much let me do my own thing. After 3 or 4 years of waiting on housing lists (apparantly i wasnt deserving of a house because I have a job and no family to support) I moved in with a couple of friends, then progressing onto renting my own flat. Its definetly a good idea to move out when you're younger. It teaches you a lot about cooking, cleaning, managing money etc. Luckily I was well trained in doing ma own washing and ironing long before I moved out lol.

Im only 24 and would definetly suggest to any young folk reading this to save their money and put a deposit down on a house. It makes me ill when i realise how much I earned over the last 5 years and still haven't saved up for a house of my own yet lol.

bobandag16
15-Aug-08, 20:41
I was thinking about people growing up and setting out on their own and my experiences and wondered what are the circumstances and ages that young folk leave the nest these days?
Is it to get married or go to Uni or what? Or is it because they're forced out?
i was the elder of a family of six 1934 no hope of work at 14 1 /2 iwas luckly to get a place at the army apprentices school at chepstow. where boys became men. i am now 88 years old . and feel sad for the young of to day they . never had to fight to survie life has been made easy for them by the parents mostly the granny the nest today is too cosy:(

percy toboggan
15-Aug-08, 20:48
I moved out at 19 with a somewhat heavy heart in 1970. I loved my Mum & Dad but I loved my new wife more. She's still here and they're long gone.
Bought a small two bedroomed terraced house (outside lav no bath) for eight hundred quid and the rest is mystery.

(same house now £80 grand)

Dazarch
15-Aug-08, 20:55
My boyfriend moved into my parents house when I was 17 and then we bought our first house together when I was 18. We were lucky to get a house as we bought it just before the housing price boom back in the late 90's. I think the sooner the better if you can afford it. It teaches you many things.:lol:

Fantoosh
15-Aug-08, 21:13
I cant believe how young some people get married and buy houses. Im only 22 and i was thinking i have at least ten years to go before i start thinking about things like that. :lol: When you are in your twenties you are meant to spend your money on fun things. When i was a teenager i couldnt afford to do anything fun or expensive, now I am 22 I am using most of my money to do all the things I couldnt afford to do. Ill wait a few years before i start struggling to buy a house etc, I need to save to travel just now (its not going very well to be honest haha)

p.s I moved out at 17 because i felt i needed my own space and independance really. I then went to college for 4 years which just finished this year. Now trying to get another job at nights to save for my travels before I use my qualifications to get a secure job, and buy a house. lol :lol:

ok there you have my life story hahaha

Whitewater
15-Aug-08, 23:39
I moved out when I was 22, not to get married or anything like that, just to travel and see a bit of the world. I was on the best of terms with my parents and I returned home to stay with them again for a year or so until I got married.

funkypumpkin
16-Aug-08, 09:15
I split with my husband when my son was 10 years old. I had met someone else so I was the bad person in my son's eyes at the time. I rented a house with my new OH for a few years and my son spent one week with me and one with his father. Initially Dad and son were new best friends and Dad could do no wrong. However that soon wore off and problems started. My relationship with my son started to repair itself and after a couple of years of renting in London my OH wanted to return to his native Scotland so we moved up. I asked my son if he wanted to stay with his father or come with us. He was 14 by this time and he was at a crucial stage at school and also needed his friends so understandably he stayed in London.
However, Dad soon found a new love interest and married rather quickly and then his wife was his new best friend and our son was, well just in the way. My son confided in me more and more and our relationship grew stronger than ever and then when his father went through my son's emails and MSN messages and realised how well we were getting on even though we were so far apart, he threw him out! At the age of 16 just about to do his o levels, ovenight he was gone and dumped at my parents house. Within a week he flew up to me and has now just finished at Thurso college, works part time, looking for full time and has a rented flat in Thurso. He is only 18 next week. I think after all he has been through he has done marvelously well. Happy birthday Son!!!!

twiglet
16-Aug-08, 12:35
I left at 20. Mum was a bit overbearing (to say the least) and I had to escape before I really lost the will to live. I left her a letter on the table and left in a taxi with my worldy good. I rented a room in an all girls house, stayed there for a few years and was eventually given a council flat. It was a huge relief to be out of that house.

Everything turned out ok but I still wish I had been able to have a life as a teen and then would maybe not have left home the way that I did.