PDA

View Full Version : Whats Really In Your Christmas Dinner

fed-ex
19-Dec-05, 23:14
Has any-one just watched this programme on channel four?
Those poor turkeys and pigs..... Im gonna stick to nut roast and brussel sprouts I think.......

ice box
19-Dec-05, 23:19
Sorry did'nt see it to iam to engrost in bad girls.I know were my turkeys coming from this year iam getting it from my friend who owns is own farm .

fed-ex
19-Dec-05, 23:23
Sorry did'nt see it to iam to engrost in bad girls.I know were my turkeys coming from this year iam getting it from my friend who owns is own farm .I suppose if you know some-one who can get you one or the local butchers then it will be ok. What about your pigs in blankets though?

ice box
19-Dec-05, 23:31
I suppose if you know some-one who can get you one or the local butchers then it will be ok. What about your pigs in blankets though?
What........ ?

Zambo
19-Dec-05, 23:54
I didn't watch the programme, but I think it would be a better Christmas if everyone avoided meat this year, and just tried a veggie Christmas - you'd feel better for it!!

Drutt
19-Dec-05, 23:55
A programme I could watch in reasonable comfort, seeing as I really will be eating nut roast, and eating my organic veggies delivered by a local farmer.

If you thought that programme was bad, you should find out how those cheap frozen prawns at the supermarket are produced. :eek:

fed-ex
20-Dec-05, 00:11
A programme I could watch in reasonable comfort, seeing as I really will be eating nut roast, and eating my organic veggies delivered by a local farmer.

If you thought that programme was bad, you should find out how those cheap frozen prawns at the supermarket are produced. :eek:I really will be eating nut roast too. i love it. A couple of years ago I used to think vegetarians were just being fussy but now i've come to realise that the veggie options are far more tasty and I hardly ever eat meat anymore

Whitewater
20-Dec-05, 00:15
I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm interested in eating less meat. The nut roast that you are all raving about sounds good. Do you have a recipe??? I would like to try it.

lassieinfife
20-Dec-05, 00:21
I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm interested in eating less meat. The nut roast that you are all raving about sounds good. Do you have a recipe??? I would like to try it.

Vegetarian Nut Roast
Yield: 6 - 8 Servings VG, WF, GF, DF, SoF

1 tb Extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/3 c Toasted hazelnuts, ground
2/3 c Walnuts, ground
2/3 c Brazil nuts, ground
12 oz Tomatoes, blanched, peeled,
-- and chopped
1 lg onion, finely chopped 1 cl Garlic, minced
¼ lb Fresh mushrooms, chopped
½ ts Dried basil
½ ts Dried oregano
1 ts Vegetable salt
1 ea Egg, well beaten

Preheat oven to 425 F. Lightly oil a 2 lb. loaf tin or round mold. Line with waxed paper and set aside. Place the nuts, tomatoes, onion, garlic, mushrooms, basil, oregano, sea salt, and egg in a medium-sized bowl. Mix until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Turn the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, smoothing the surface with the back of a spoon. Place the tin in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until roast has shrunk slightly from the sides of the tin. Let cool slightly and with a knife around the edges, turn out to a wooden board or plate. Cut into thick slices and serve with mushroom or onion gravy.

EDDIE
20-Dec-05, 00:24
Its not just the turkey its the chickens as well because the chickens are fed with all sorts of strange substances to make them grow quicker and fat and the poor chickens and turkeys are living on top of there ony leavings just so the supermarkets can sell loads i think its terrible and most importantly not good for the consumers in long term.When u hear of all the stuff they put in the food nowadays to make it taste better its sometimes worth thinking about turning a vegitarian.And probably explains why the nations is getting fat

lizzie
20-Dec-05, 00:26
I would'nt touch meat with a barge pole, how can anyone tuck into a roast chicken? ugh!

fed-ex
20-Dec-05, 00:27
Its not just the turkey its the chickens as well because the chickens are fed with all sorts of strange substances to make them grow quicker and fat and the poor chickens and turkeys are living on top of there ony leavings just so the supermarkets can sell loads i think its terrible and most importantly not good for the consumers in long term.When u hear of all the stuff they put in the food nowadays to make it taste better its sometimes worth thinking about turning a vegitarian.And probably explains why the nations is getting fatI have never eaten chicken after watching the last programme about it.. going veggie is definately worth thinking about..

Whitewater
20-Dec-05, 00:28
Hi lassieinfife, that was a quick reply, thank you. I look forward to trying it out over the next week or 10 days. I will let you know what I think of it, I must admit it sounds good as I like nuts anyway.

lassieinfife
20-Dec-05, 00:39
4 onions, medium
5 tomatoes
2 carrots, medium, grated
3 slices wholemeal bread, crumbed
Half a cup vegetable juice
100g hazelnuts, ground
100g cashews, ground
Fry onions in saucepan for 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, grated carrot, breadcrumbs, vegetable juice and cook for 15 minutes.
Add nuts and turn out into a loaf tin.
Bake 200 degrees C for 30 minutes.

THIS IS ANOTHER VERSION

fed-ex
20-Dec-05, 00:40
Hi lassieinfife, that was a quick reply, thank you. I look forward to trying it out over the next week or 10 days. I will let you know what I think of it, I must admit it sounds good as I like nuts anyway.the co-op in thurso(the one in wick dosnt stock it) does a brilliant nut roast. you just add water and its already in a tray you can put straight in the oven(so no washing up either). Its in the part with all the health foods..

Chillie
20-Dec-05, 02:48
Well i am not giving up meat i luv it all kinds, anyway i might have a Fray Bentos s/k pie if i can get it opened this time.

Moira
20-Dec-05, 03:10
Well Chillie - I remember reading the sorry saga of your Fray Bentos pie before - hope you remembered to ask Santa for a new tin opener ! :)

MagicalTrevor
20-Dec-05, 03:11
Look it may not be great for you but it sure does taste good!

I think many of you should start worrying about either: Smoking, Alcohol consumption, you're calorie intake, the amount of exercise you do or how much fruit or veg you eat.

Now I may remove my tongue from cheek

Moira
20-Dec-05, 03:21
What........ ?

Ice box - don't freak - Chipolata sausages wrapped in bacon is what they are. Well, of course, if you are a veggie - you're gonna freak anyway !

Donnie
20-Dec-05, 13:26
What a bunch of Hippies. This new scare tv craze should be binned. If you don't like it then don't eat it. If you want to know what goes in to it then buy local.

jjc
20-Dec-05, 14:04
If you don't like it then don't eat it.
Isn't that pretty much what everybody here has been saying? :confused:

angela5
20-Dec-05, 14:25
Nut Roast for my christmas dinner yum yum!

Donnie
20-Dec-05, 14:32
Isn't that pretty much what everybody here has been saying? :confused:

No they've been throwing in comments about how awful it is but with out any other information included.

angela5
20-Dec-05, 14:46
I've heard of this nut roast i have'nt tried it though i think i'll give it a bash sounds good.

angela5
20-Dec-05, 15:26
No they've been throwing in comments about how awful it is but with out any other information included.

Animals on Todays factory farms have no legal protection
from cruelty that would be illegal if it were inflicted on dogs or cats: neglect,mutilation,genetic manipulation and drug regimens that cause chronic pain and crippling.
Transported through all weather extremes and gruesome
and violent slaughter.
The factory farming system of modern agriculture strives to maximize output while minimizing costs, cows,calves,pigs,chickens,turkeys,ducks,geese and other animals are kept in small cages, in jam-packed sheds, or on feedlots. Often with so little space they can't even turn around or lie down, they are deprived of exercise so that their bodies'energy goes towards producing flesh,eggs or milk for human consumption.
They are fed drugs to fatten them up faster and to keep them alive in conditions that would otherwise kill them, many animals become crippled under their own weight and die within inches of water and feed.
These animals will never raise their families,root the soil,build nests, or do anything that is natural to them, they wont even feel the sun on their backs or breath fresh air until the day they are loaded onto trucks bound for slaughter.
I wont be tucking into any meat, now thats my information and comment.

jjc
20-Dec-05, 16:05
No they've been throwing in comments about how awful it is but with out any other information included. I guess you didn’t catch the programme then? That being the case, why did you call the posters on this forum ‘a bunch of hippies’ and how do you know that the episode of Dispatches that they are talking about is part of the ‘new scare tv craze’?

Either you saw it and don’t need them to explain why they are opting for nut roast this year, or you didn’t and you were making petty and baseless accusations. Care to tell us which? :rolleyes:

For those of you who will be enjoying a good, vegetarian Christmas I can recommend stuffed courgettes – they go wonderfully with nut roast. There are quite a few versions on the web that have all sorts of herbs in, but all I ever do is:

1)Parboil four courgettes
2)Cut them lengthways and scoop out the flesh to make ‘boats’
3)Lightly fry a small, finely-chopped onion in lashings of butter
4)Stir in the flesh from the courgettes
5)Stir in a good bit of cheese
6)Put the mixture back into the fleshed-out courgettes
7)Grate some cheese over the top
8)Bake in the oven (alongside the nut roast) until it all looks cooked.

Sorry for the lack of specifics, but everything I cook I mostly make it up as I go along. I love cheese so I use loads and I don’t especially like onion so I only use a small one. I guess the trick is to give it a bash before Christmas and see what it turns out like.