PDA

View Full Version : Terry setting up a carpet cleaning business

Hazelbug
13-Aug-08, 20:49
based in/near Watten.

Has anybody else had one of these cold calls from a company in Dunfermline offering Terry's services to clean one carpet in your house with no sales pitch (allegedly).

The phone number used is 0800 5874121 and is a company called Kirby.

I agreed to let them come round to my house tomorrow but have just checked them out online and am now worried I will be bombarded with salesman spiel.

Does anyone know of Terry and/or his new business?

DeHaviLand
13-Aug-08, 20:56
just make sure you're not at home, then dont take their phone calls:(.

Aaldtimer
13-Aug-08, 21:04
Terry is not setting up a new business. He is a demonstrater of the Kirby cleaners. But be warned, you will be very impressed (well, maybe not) just how dirty your carpet is! We were, and OH succumbed to the temptation, and bought one! He's a nice guy who won't be pressurizing you.:)

Hazelbug
13-Aug-08, 21:13
Terry is not setting up a new business. He is a demonstrater of the Kirby cleaners. But be warned, you will be very impressed (well, maybe not) just how dirty your carpet is! We were, and OH succumbed to the temptation, and bought one! He's a nice guy who won't be pressurizing you.:)

Thanks.

Not sure we could afford a new appliance right now no matter how impressive it is. But I do have a very dirty carpet that could do with a clean :)

I hope he's not reading this - he won't bother turning up now :lol:

Kevin Milkins
13-Aug-08, 21:26
Thanks.

Not sure we could afford a new appliance right now no matter how impressive it is. But I do have a very dirty carpet that could do with a clean :)

I hope he's not reading this - he won't bother turning up now :lol:

I think the sales trick is that he cleans a part of your carpet to show you how dirty it is then if you want the other bit cleaned you buy the cleaner.:D

karia
13-Aug-08, 21:28
I think the sales trick is that he cleans a part of your carpet to show you how dirty it is then if you want the other bit cleaned you buy the cleaner.:D

You'd best move the furniture around before his visit then.;)

Aaldtimer
13-Aug-08, 21:29
Now now KM, less of your mischief. That is definitely not on his agenda!:lol:

joxville
13-Aug-08, 21:32
My sister got one of these free 'demonstrations'-3 hours the guy was in her house. She was impressed with the machine but not the price- it went from £900 down to £550! He left without a sale.

golach
13-Aug-08, 21:36
My sister got one of these free 'demonstrations'-3 hours the guy was in her house. She was impressed with the machine but not the price- it went from £900 down to £550! He left without a sale.

We had a similar incedent, took nearly 4 hours, kept phoning his boss for better deals, I had virtually to throw him out, he left without a sale also.
My advice dont let him through your front door. Kirby salemen are harder to get rid of than Nits. Just Google Kirby Salesmen and read the reviews, they are shocking

Hazelbug
13-Aug-08, 22:44
Now now KM, less of your mischief. That is definitely not on his agenda!:lol:

Your name isn't Terry, is it?

:lol:

Aaldtimer
13-Aug-08, 23:01
Your name isn't Terry, is it?

:lol:

Nope.:eek:

Phoebus_Apollo
13-Aug-08, 23:16
based in/near Watten.

Has anybody else had one of these cold calls from a company in Dunfermline offering Terry's services to clean one carpet in your house with no sales pitch (allegedly).

The phone number used is 0800 5874121 and is a company called Kirby.

I agreed to let them come round to my house tomorrow but have just checked them out online and am now worried I will be bombarded with salesman spiel.

Does anyone know of Terry and/or his new business?

Yeah I had a call from this chap around 20:00 tonight - he kept going on about "you`re getting a free carpet clean" - I didn`t ask for a free carpet clean - so I kept him blabbering for about 5 minutes till he got himself in knots and then revealed I had laminate flooring:roll:

purplelady
13-Aug-08, 23:19
they are awful has a pal down south end up buying one and she could not afford it guy was there for 4 hours just call and cancel or do not answer door .

EDDIE
13-Aug-08, 23:21
Some how just cant see him comming to u and cleaning your carpet and leave without giving u a sales pitch its going to be either going to be a whole morning or afternoon that u are going to have to put up with him.
golach is right if u let him in your home you will have awful job getting rid of him i wouldnt let him in if it was me i would lock the doors and hide behind the sofa just what u would do when u get a relative comming to visit you which dont like

toodiemac
13-Aug-08, 23:32
We had our carpet cleaned by Kirby and there was no pressure to buy (not sure if the salesman was Terry though). There were a couple of stains which we were told that no carpet cleaner could possibly remove, and we just thought "fair enough". However, months later we cleaned the carpet ourselves using the Rug Doctor machine (hire from Homebase) and it removed those "impossible" stains first time!

So, we were not really impressed, especially not for the amount of money a Kirby machine would cost, but it was quite good to get a free clean anyway.

Westsider3
13-Aug-08, 23:53
I'm not behind these salepeople but I think we should remember that they are only doing a job which is probably commission-based. I know they do not need to take on such a job but they probably also have a family to feed and a house to keep clean and warm!! At least they are working!!!

Personally I wouldn't have said yes to them but I had a cousin who did phone sales a good few years ago. She said it was as soul-destroying job and she encountered several earfuls of abuse. She was at the time a poor student working to make ends meet. Ever since I heard that, I thought about the human side of these sales pitches. Surely we can't blame the poor man for trying especially if he believes in his product!

Good Luck Hazelbug!

dirdyweeker
14-Aug-08, 01:49
Well Hazelbug, why not go the full hog. I saw a van in Wick today with "you cook, we clean" This company advertise they will clean your oven! At a cost no doubt.
You could have your carpets and your oven done in one day!
Good luck with Terry, I would hide too.:D

Aaldtimer
14-Aug-08, 02:18
Precisely so Westsider, the fellow's only doing his job.
There's no pressure to buy, and you get a clean carpet out of it.
Win-win situation, what's the problem?
If he takes 3 hours it shows that he's doing a thorough job and not just a sample as KM was suggesting.
And by Jingo , he does believe in his product...he's been doing it for 17 years!
Give the guy a break!

placman
14-Aug-08, 10:55
How often do we clean a carpet? I went and did my own and found it a very rewarding experience to get a job well done. Sad or what.:)There is a man in Thurso who will do the carpet for you and there are a few places where you can hire a machine and do it yourself. I dont see the point in having a carpet cleaner for a job thats only needing done once or twice a year.

Phoebus_Apollo
14-Aug-08, 11:14
How often do we clean a carpet? I went and did my own and found it a very rewarding experience to get a job well done. Sad or what.:)There is a man in Thurso who will do the carpet for you and there are a few places where you can hire a machine and do it yourself. I dont see the point in having a carpet cleaner for a job thats only needing done once or twice a year.

Correct - That`s Eric Drummond and a very good job he does too.

These Snake-Oil Salesmen make me sick trying to worm their way into peoples homes.:mad:

rs 2k
14-Aug-08, 11:32
We had this guy in cleaning our carpet yesterday, what a brilliant job he made, no pressure into buying a kirby either, he did say to me would u like 1 of these machine and i said i would love 1, but don't have that kind of money, it was just a little over £1,800 but that was for everything

I couldn't believe all the dog hair and grit he got out of my carpet and i had just hoovered half an hour b4 he came, it was so embarrasing :lol:

Good job, free carpet clean, i'm happy :D

Thorfin
14-Aug-08, 12:43
I must agree with a lot whats been said like Aaldtimer with the everyone doing a days work etc well good luck to them at least their not sitting on their buts doing nothing, however why pay hundreds of pounds for something you dont want and will only use once or twice as was said earlier, I saw an advert for a carpet cleaner to hire which I did and it turned out brilliant and only cost the price of the hire. so fair play to all involved and each to their own.

northener
14-Aug-08, 16:45
There's a simple solution to this problem:

If you are not interested in buying a cleaning machine - don't make an appointment with the salesman.

thejudd
14-Aug-08, 22:19
I am soo wanting this guy to fone me lol I have a Kirby I bought over 18 years ago. Yes it was expensive but it has not given me a days problem the whole time i have had it. I have asthma and find it a very good machine for cleaning my carpets as you can see the machine picking up the carpet as i hoover so i know it is cleaning well down and it picks up the pile on my carpet so they look as good as when i bought them.

Kevin Milkins
14-Aug-08, 23:12
I am soo wanting this guy to fone me lol I have a Kirby I bought over 18 years ago. Yes it was expensive but it has not given me a days problem the whole time i have had it. I have asthma and find it a very good machine for cleaning my carpets as you can see the machine picking up the carpet as i hoover so i know it is cleaning well down and it picks up the pile on my carpet so they look as good as when i bought them.

The count,s name is not Terry by chance.lol:lol: