PDA

View Full Version : Bartering....

ciderally
13-Aug-08, 20:23
Barter, is defined as "a trade or exchange of goods or services without using money." Its origins are traced back to the dawn of mankind. Early bartering was done on a one-on-one basis and is still used today between some individuals and businesses on an informal basis......
do you think we should go back to bartering for goods ect....dont know what i could barter with...have to have a think on that ..any ideas..:roll:

Dog-eared
13-Aug-08, 20:36
Bartering worked for countless years and is still a good way to do things today.

dan67
13-Aug-08, 20:43
remember their used to be a shop in inverness up past the castle restaurant called buy or barter it was good

helenwyler
13-Aug-08, 21:07
There's a pub in Cambridge where you can bring in your homegrown veg and fruit, fish, game etc and barter them for drinks. The pub then uses the produce in their kitchen, and everyone knows they're eating good fresh produce. I'd still be paying though.... bit lax on the slug patrol this year :roll:.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20080811/959/tod-pub-that-barters-drinks-in-exchange.html

Angela
13-Aug-08, 21:13
I'd still be paying though.... bit lax on the slug patrol this year :roll:.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20080811/959/tod-pub-that-barters-drinks-in-exchange.html

There's always the Slug and Lettuce pubs, Helen! Maybe you could persuade them to accept your garden produce! ;)

karia
13-Aug-08, 21:15
I wonder what the petrol station would accept?:(

joxville
13-Aug-08, 21:26
You can still legally barter for anything in this country. The price you see for an item doesn't have to be the price you pay-it's only a recommendation. So fill your trolley at Tesco and offer a token amount-they can refuse if they think it's to low but can't refuse too sell you the goods at less than the asking price, so increase your offer until it's accepted.

Think of the time it'll take them if all customer's started doing that, especially in this electronic age where every item would need to be zapped again, and they had to be returned to the shelf.[evil]

Errogie
13-Aug-08, 21:43
The beauty about bartering services and products between friends and acquaintances is that the infernal revenue and the VAT man can be kept out of the arrangement. If you start to advertise and create a notional currency in order to arrive at easier valuations then you may end up with the tax man taking an interest.

I've found that the easiest system is when you have a product like eggs, honey, or vegetables which can be exchanged on a regular basis, but it could be baby sitting for decorating a room or car maintenance.
Perhaps its been done already but the ORG could be as good a contact point as any.

joxville
13-Aug-08, 21:51
The beauty about bartering services and products between friends and acquaintances is that the infernal revenue and the VAT man can be kept out of the arrangement. If you start to advertise and create a notional currency in order to arrive at easier valuations then you may end up with the tax man taking an interest.

I've found that the easiest system is when you have a product like eggs, honey, or vegetables which can be exchanged on a regular basis, but it could be baby sitting for decorating a room or car maintenance.
Perhaps its been done already but the ORG could be as good a contact point as any.

I'm available for stud if any ladies interested. [lol]

Kevin Milkins
13-Aug-08, 22:12

I'll give you half a dozen eggs if you can put a smile on my mother in laws face.:lol:

joxville
13-Aug-08, 22:15
I'll give you half a dozen eggs if you can put a smile on my mother in laws face.:lol:

Climbing Everest with a bungalow strapped to my back would probably be easier.[lol]

Bobinovich
13-Aug-08, 23:05
I occasionally barter my services if the deal is worthwhile, and it's very handy having numerous 'skills'

Tilter
13-Aug-08, 23:24
I used to barter a lot, mostly meat for fish, but I've nothing to barter any more.

Down in Moray they have a scheme you sign up to and you barter your labour into a sort of holding pot of credit. So, e.g., I could do x hours gardening for someone and x hours goes to my credit, that person may do something else for someone else and so on. I might then need an electrician and if one is in the scheme, I use my credits for his services.

I always thought this would be a good idea for Caithness. Does anyone else?

Bobinovich
13-Aug-08, 23:32
Definately up for that!

joxville
13-Aug-08, 23:54
Reading this thread reminded me I'd heard of schemes set up elsewhere.
Finally found a link to it: http://www.letslinkuk.net/

northener
14-Aug-08, 15:56
We could barter opinions online - my opinion is worth at least three of anyone else's.

But I will trade two opinions for a lettuce (no slugs, Helen).

Sapphire2803
14-Aug-08, 15:59
We could barter opinions online - my opinion is worth at least three of anyone else's.

But I will trade two opinions for a lettuce (no slugs, Helen).

Two of anyone else's

I love to haggle :lol:

Sandra_B
14-Aug-08, 16:03

Are you willing to travel though? :lol:

Sapphire2803
14-Aug-08, 16:06
Or maybe you could accommodate?

northener
14-Aug-08, 16:27
Two of anyone else's

I love to haggle :lol:

Two and a half, nothing less.

Sapphire2803
14-Aug-08, 16:37
Two... and a penny chew?

joxville
14-Aug-08, 17:08
Are you willing to travel though? :lol:

Absolutely.

Or maybe you could accommodate?

I'm very accommodating.[lol]

ciderally
14-Aug-08, 17:54
well sounds like everyone is up for a bit of this...that credits scheam is a good one ....and by the sounds of it a good few communities use it...

joxville
14-Aug-08, 18:21
well sounds like everyone is up for a bit of this...that credits scheam is a good one ....and by the sounds of it a good few communities use it...

Oh, I'm up for a bit of anything. [lol]

ciderally
14-Aug-08, 18:29
ok joxvilla...what you listing?....maybe i shouldent ask...tee hee

Sapphire2803
14-Aug-08, 18:56
Oh, I'm up for a bit of anything. [lol]

You're nowt but a filthy strumpet are ya?! ;)

joxville
14-Aug-08, 19:10
If the cap fits I'm happy to wear it.:D

justine
14-Aug-08, 22:03
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080814/tuk-britain-economy-pub-offbeat-a7ad41d.html

looks like an epademic has set in.

northener
14-Aug-08, 22:12
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080814/tuk-britain-economy-pub-offbeat-a7ad41d.html

looks like an epademic has set in.

OK, so one of my opinions is worth three of yours.....or five potatoes. I'll haggle for a gallon of beer for two opinions,one of Sapphs penny chews (:eek:) and a potato.

justine
14-Aug-08, 22:17
[quote=northener;419384]OK, so one of my opinions is worth three of yours.....or five potatoes. I'll haggle for a gallon of beer for two opinions,one of Sapphs penny chews (:eek:) and a potato.[/quote
]

Sorry best i can do is 2 opinions and three potatoes.:lol:

joxville
14-Aug-08, 22:24
I'll give one of Saph's opinions, two of Northener's opinions, half of a bounty bar, a penny chew & a Mail on Sunday dvd for two tickets to Madame Butterfly in Covent Garden.:D

Sapphire2803
14-Aug-08, 22:51
OK, so one of my opinions is worth three of yours.....or five potatoes. I'll haggle for a gallon of beer for two opinions,one of Sapphs penny chews (:eek:) and a potato.

What's that face for young man? If you're thinking of a different sort chew, then I'd be wanting a darn sight more than a penny, I can tell ya! :lol:

northener
15-Aug-08, 08:23
What's that face for young man? If you're thinking of a different sort chew, then I'd be wanting a darn sight more than a penny, I can tell ya! :lol:

Must...resist..urge...to respond....

northener
15-Aug-08, 08:39
In a hurried attempt to get us back on track (and foil Sapphs attempt to be the cheapest hooker North of Keiss) - what could we realistically barter in the county?

OK, let's say I wanted my car cleaning inside and out - what would you realistically expect to pay in goods (food) for that service?

One potato? Two potato? Three potato? Four?:D

Or what would an oil change on a car be worth?

golach
15-Aug-08, 10:04
Two and a half, nothing less.
Northerner, the best bit of "Rabbitting" I have ever seen was between one of my mates a Killick in FMG at Rosyth with a Crab counterpart Corporal at RAF Turnhouse. the RN had an excess of boxes of Blue Wipes, the RAF had an excess of WD40, simple answer do a trade, which was done successfully. Thats how the forces worked in those days, and as a result the two ratings, were given Red Recommends by their DO's [lol]

Bobinovich
15-Aug-08, 11:41
In a hurried attempt to get us back on track (and foil Sapphs attempt to be the cheapest hooker North of Keiss) - what could we realistically barter in the county?

OK, let's say I wanted my car cleaning inside and out - what would you realistically expect to pay in goods (food) for that service?

One potato? Two potato? Three potato? Four?:D

Or what would an oil change on a car be worth?

Well it really would depend on the normal cost for these services. Say a professional car valet was valued at £50, then you'd justifiably have to pay £50 in goods to match it.

The aforementioned site gives multiple choices - the involved parties can either come to an mutual agreement of the relative values of their services or goods; or all labour can be treated as one value per hour; or services can be individually rated depending on the skill/knowledge level required, etc.

I've bartered an hour of my time for a 2 course meal for 2, and similarly for a good BBQ meat pack - come to think of it (and this really should come as no surprise) most of my barters are for food :lol:

Kevin Milkins
15-Aug-08, 12:39
I hate to barter or haggle for price.
Its one of my pet hates when I have gone abroad on holidays.
I like to have a brouse around the local markets and I may see somthing I need.
On one such trip I saw a nice leather belt and as my favorite one is now on its last hole I thought it might be a good time to buy a new one.
The price started off at about £50-00:eek: and an hour later the guy was following me down the street to secure the deal at £2-50.:~( I prefere to see a price and decide if it represents value for money.:D

karia
15-Aug-08, 12:45
Then there is 'urgency' to be taken into account!

Would you expect more in return for your services as 'man with bucket' to someone who was knee deep in water than someone who wanted strawberries picked?:)

Sapphire2803
15-Aug-08, 13:20
@ Northerner, I would be the most expensive.....

Then there is 'urgency' to be taken into account!

Would you expect more in return for your services as 'man with bucket' to someone who was knee deep in water than someone who wanted strawberries picked?:)

Absolutely agree, you would start by basing the trade on the monetary value of the service/item, but then there would be other things to factor in.

northener
15-Aug-08, 18:42
Northerner, the best bit of "Rabbitting" I have ever seen was between one of my mates a Killick in FMG at Rosyth with a Crab counterpart Corporal at RAF Turnhouse. the RN had an excess of boxes of Blue Wipes, the RAF had an excess of WD40, simple answer do a trade, which was done successfully. Thats how the forces worked in those days, and as a result the two ratings, were given Red Recommends by their DO's [lol]

Best ones we ever did were in Reykjavic in the early 80's. At that time you couldn't buy alcoholic beer in Iceland, for some reason it was illegal apart from something about 1% proof. Bizarrely, you could buy spirits and wine in the nightclubs - but not beer.........

Sooo, we'd berth alongside with the German Navy or say, the Dutch. Plus always an American warship. As you know Golach, the Yanks have 'dry' ships.

So, we have the Icelanders who can't get beer but have some very nice Icelandic wool jumpers and scarves, Yanks who can't get beer but have 24 hr chefs and an unlimited supply of burgers and steaks and a load of idiot European sailors who are awash with booze but need goods for gifts and loads of free food.

Beer for Icelandic goods helped strengthen international relationships between the Icelanders and their former Cod War enemies.
Whilst supplying the Yanks with beer gave us, the Squareheads and the long-haired hippy Dutch sailors copious amounts of free food at all hours of the night whilst the Yanks got hammered and ended up incapable of beating anyone in the inter-ship sports do's!

Luvverly jubberly ( to quote the master barterer DelBoy).