PDA

View Full Version : Best summer

Kevin Milkins
13-Aug-08, 18:59
This is only my third summer in Wick and is the best one to date.
With all the bad weather and flooding down south it seems the north is the place to be.
Is it a one off or were my first two summers a bad benchmark for the north?

scotsboy
13-Aug-08, 19:12
With all the bad weather and flooding down south it seems the north is the place to be.

How long do you have to go;)

ciderally
13-Aug-08, 20:03
i seem to recall long hot summers in wick...spending day after day at the trinkie...but thats many moons ago...maybe you just dont notice the weather when your little??....

sweetpea
13-Aug-08, 23:46
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but for the last 6 years I've taken a week annual leave in May and it's been fantastic weather.

Tilter
14-Aug-08, 00:18
I might be muddled, but wasn't summer 2006 a fantastic one? I thought it was the best one I could remember in 19 years here. We had runner beans that actually ran to the top of the poles and grapes we could eat!!!

Anyway, it's a sorry fact of life that the best weather in Caithness occurs when you go off on holiday. (Top Tip: go on holiday in February.)

trix
14-Aug-08, 08:51
i mind 'e days when 'e summers were really guid but it could be lek someone says, bairns choost da take heed o' 'e weather...

i widna be so keen til jump in 'e trinkie now, i did many times when i wis a lascie.

when im off on ma bike i see bairns sweemin in 'e north baths (brrrr)

also 'e winters were prity course too - twa days an all 'e snow is gone...

aye, back in 'e days when chicken tasted lek chicken :lol:

binbob
14-Aug-08, 09:34

the best place to live is of course ..caithness...but u now know that.u made a very wise move.

northener
14-Aug-08, 16:03
I remember one summer in Caithness.

Ah, Summer in Caithness - The First Time......

It was a hot afternoon, the last day in June - I think -
And blimey, the sun was a demon.

I told Angus Mackay, on his T20 Ferguson Grey,
that I needed time for some thinking.....

;)

Thumper
14-Aug-08, 16:27
I remember one summer in caithness too Northener ;) [lol] x

trix
14-Aug-08, 16:44
I remember one summer in caithness too Northener [lol] x

choost one thumper??

ye must be getin auld, i can mind two or three :lol::Razz

Thumper
14-Aug-08, 16:49
Och Trix,I must hev been away at days then ;) [lol] x

karia
14-Aug-08, 16:51
Come on guys!:roll:

I haven't had sunburn in 20 years...until this July in Caithness.:)

joxville
14-Aug-08, 16:54
I remember one summer in Caithness.

Ah, Summer in Caithness - The First Time......

It was a hot afternoon, the last day in June - I think -
And blimey, the sun was a demon.

I told Angus Mackay, on his T20 Ferguson Grey,
that I needed time for some thinking.....

;)

She was 61 and you were 47
You knew nothing 'bout love, she knew everything[lol]

Welcomefamily
14-Aug-08, 17:04
1975, the first time I visited caithness, it was lovely and hot,

katarina
14-Aug-08, 17:11
the weather was better years ago. We went swimming in the north baths after school round about easter time. We went every night until the end of september - i honestly don't think we were hardy enough to face some of the so called summers we have now also i remeber lying in the sun until our swim suits and towels dried. Also every kid had a sledge in winter - and used it a lot! My kids have never had sledges - the snow never lasts long enough to warrant one. We don't seem to have seasons any more - soon they will just be running into one long rainy stretch where only daylight hours are different!

over-the-ord
14-Aug-08, 22:07
2003 was a good one, heatwave! remember it well as i was pregnant! legs and feet swollen, prickly heat, murder!
1995 was another good one remember well as pregs that time too! my sons dark hair turned light in the sun!

2008 great so far, only downside is I'm a night shift worker its too hot to sleep during the day,;)

making the most as it will soon be winter the summer is going in so fast! :lol:

northener
14-Aug-08, 22:14
Ohhh, the heat, the flies - and will those damned native drums never stop?

Kevin Milkins
14-Aug-08, 23:18
Its the end of just another glorious day . My mother in law that is visiting us for a few weeks from her home in South Wales is starting to talk about relocating.
Can we revert back to normal Caithness weather now please,/SOON.[lol]

Kirdon
15-Aug-08, 00:20
Ahh straight to the trinkie (the swimming pool not the orger) after school in summer an sledging on the hill at bexley terrace in the winter. The good old days!!!!!!!!!!

Fran
15-Aug-08, 02:54
I think today was one of the warmest days for a long time. I travelled from Fraserburgh yesterday morning where it was quite cool. When I arrived at Inverness it was hot and such a lovely day. I had a nice drive back to wick and the scenery, especially the heather on the hills was beautiful. I think the mileage is shorter with the new road at Helmsdale.

canuck
15-Aug-08, 20:55
From my perspective as an incomer and the groans of the locals, the summer of 2004 was horrible. Apparently, it was in stark contrast to what I heard about the wonderful weather of 2003.