PDA

View Full Version : Thurso high school

veekay
13-Aug-08, 17:58
Rumour seems to be that the school isn't opening on Tuesday. Anyone any the wiser

rfr10
13-Aug-08, 18:00
Was it your son/ daughter that told you this by any chance? Or are you a hopeful pupil? :Razz

Bobinovich
13-Aug-08, 21:04
Or are you a hopeful pupil?

[lol][lol] OMG Thanks rfr10 - that's just made my day (and probably veekays too!)

veekay
14-Aug-08, 09:14
OMG OMG Thanks rfr10 - that's just made my day (and probably veekays too!)

Too right it did. No it was none of those suggestions - personally I hate the end of school holidays I love having my son home some say I have lost the plot but who cares.

I take it no-one know so I will do a bit of delving around. Hope it is true though.

AfternoonDelight
14-Aug-08, 10:17
The teachers are still going back on Monday...

chaz
14-Aug-08, 11:59
I also heard it wasnt opening from another parent, still trying to find out!

mccaugm
14-Aug-08, 12:04
Does anyone know a teacher that can confirm or deny this rumour.

AfternoonDelight
14-Aug-08, 13:09
Eh - I just did!!

I live with one and nothing has been said about this rumour to the teachers anyway...

suki
14-Aug-08, 15:23
Me too - and they have heard nothing of this:~(.

Doesn't mean it's not true though;).

Big G
14-Aug-08, 18:40
heard from brother it's closed as there's something wrong with the roof...!?

not officially heard it though!

over-the-ord
14-Aug-08, 19:11
the other week i read in one of the national newspapers that the unison may be striking on the tuesdy which may delay schools reopening in some parts of scotland!

but heard no more since! apart from my daughter, told me that the canteen has problems and wont be opening! :roll:

but praying my 4 kids will be in school on tuesday! [lol]

rainbow
14-Aug-08, 19:15
The UNISON strike is proposed for Wed and will affect the cleaners and auxiliaries, canteen staff (?) . It will also affect other council services such as the service points, refuse collection etc

Big G
14-Aug-08, 22:19
As far as i am aware there are 3 trade unions striking (unison, GMB and not sure of the 3rd) and this is happening on Wed 20th which may close schools.

linnepinne
18-Aug-08, 11:03
just to let parents of thurso high school pupils know that the school is open on tuesday and the rest of the week as there seems to be a rumour going about that part of the roof has fallen in, i checked with the school and the roof is ok
no dought the rumour was started by somebody who did not want the school holidays to finish :confused

AfternoonDelight
18-Aug-08, 12:13
Yes - seems my posts are invisible... :roll:

danc1ngwitch
18-Aug-08, 18:12
i thought i saw on the school website that the school is closed on tuesday the 19th, ... http://www.thurso.highland.sch.uk/

unicorn
18-Aug-08, 18:33
no that means open I think, the dates are a bit behind though:roll:

Torvaig
18-Aug-08, 18:36

AD, they are only visible to the intelligent!:lol:

chaz
18-Aug-08, 18:50
i thought i saw on the school website that the school is closed on tuesday the 19th, ... http://www.thurso.highland.sch.uk/
Yes web site definatly says closed 19th august 2008.

unicorn
18-Aug-08, 18:54
Well it looked to me to be on the open side of the list.

chaz
18-Aug-08, 19:14
Well it looked to me to be on the open side of the list.

Yes sorry folks it is on the other side so seems they are open.Although when i contacted the school this morning i was told they hadnt made a decision yet whether to open or not!!

Angel
18-Aug-08, 22:14
Latest I heard is... there is a strike on Weds only and is open to 4th year and upwards only...

Angel

wifie
18-Aug-08, 22:19

Who said that! :eek: [lol]

Big G
18-Aug-08, 22:30
Website does not say school is closed.

the headline is "Schools closed on 19 August 2008" then in red it says "no closures to report."

Also heard High School is open to 4th year and up on Wed not entirely sure about primary schools.

gollach
18-Aug-08, 22:31
Latest I heard is... there is a strike on Weds only and is open to 4th year and upwards only...

Angel

Believe this is the case.

grumpy1
18-Aug-08, 23:20
i heard from one of the teachers thatits open tomorrow..but on wednesday it is only open to yrs 4 - 6 yrs 1,2,an 3 are all off.

Torvaig
18-Aug-08, 23:34
As per org. front page:

Schools: Teaching unions are not on strike on Wednesday. All primary and secondary schools are expected to be open. However, the industrial action taken by ancillary staff, such as janitors, catering and cleaning staff, and classroom assistants and drivers will impact on the level of service provided at schools.
School Meals The school meals service will also be disrupted in many schools. Pupils are advised to take packed lunches. Also affected are libraries, community centres and swimming pools.

gollach
18-Aug-08, 23:50
As per org. front page:

Schools: Teaching unions are not on strike on Wednesday. All primary and secondary schools are expected to be open. However, the industrial action taken by ancillary staff, such as janitors, catering and cleaning staff, and classroom assistants and drivers will impact on the level of service provided at schools.
School Meals The school meals service will also be disrupted in many schools. Pupils are advised to take packed lunches. Also affected are libraries, community centres and swimming pools.

Isn't that just a cut and paste on to front page from the council's web site, though? Why don't we all wait until tomorrow. I am sure kids will all come home from first day of school with a bit of paper that tells everyone what is happening on Wednesday.

MR J
19-Aug-08, 01:09
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2008/August/2008-08-15-09.htm

Ash
19-Aug-08, 09:41
just dropped wee one off at mount pleasant nursery... sign up saying the closed 2moro

over-the-ord
19-Aug-08, 12:08
halkirk primary will be closed on wednesday! heard from head teacher this morning!

topotheuk
19-Aug-08, 12:55
Have just phoned THS and been told that definately only open to 4th year upwards on Wednesday. 1st - 3rd years not to attend.

Ash
19-Aug-08, 13:29
Have just phoned THS and been told that definately only open to 4th year upwards on Wednesday. 1st - 3rd years not to attend.

why are only 1st til 3rd years off :confused

unicorn
19-Aug-08, 14:24
and why should parents have to ask, ridiculous state of affairs.

Thumper
19-Aug-08, 14:30
Why didnt they just stay closed until Thursday?It would have made more sense in the long run than having first years start today and then have tomorrow off :rolleyes:x

AfternoonDelight
19-Aug-08, 15:13
Who said that! [lol]

WIFIE!!!! :lol:

It strikes me (pun intended) that people need to stop listening to rumours - "it's shut", "it's open", "it has no roof", "all the food is mouldy", "there's crocodiles in the toilets", "the asbestos in the walls has infiltrated the pencils and from now on they will only write in Swahili" etc, etc.

Why don't you just wait for a note from the bloomin school like we used to do? :roll: No word from school = school open, word from school = you get the picture...

Margaret M.
19-Aug-08, 15:41
and why should parents have to ask, ridiculous state of affairs.

In this day and age when it is so easy to disseminate information it is totally ridiculous that there was so much confusion.

rainbow
19-Aug-08, 18:52
In my previous workplace if you went on strike you didn't need to give prior notice - you can just not turn up to work. The idea of a strike is to cause disruption (to make a point), and have pleasure in picturing the management panicking!!!! If UNISON had been like my previous union, parents would not get info about closures until the morning of the strike when workers fail to turn up, so people are very fortunate to find out the schools are closed or have no school dinners in advance (even if some of the parents are moaning about poor communication)- at least the union has been considerate in that respect. And I am sure many pupils are fair delighted there is a strike!!!!

gollach
19-Aug-08, 19:00
In my previous workplace if you went on strike you didn't need to give prior notice - you can just not turn up to work. The idea of a strike is to cause disruption (to make a point), and have pleasure in picturing the management panicking!!!! If UNISON had been like my previous union, parents would not get info about closures until the morning of the strike when workers fail to turn up, so people are very fortunate to find out the schools are closed or have no school dinners in advance (even if some of the parents are moaning about poor communication)- at least the union has been considerate in that respect. And I am sure many pupils are fair delighted there is a strike!!!!

Nowadays that would be called a wildcat strike. Legislation was tightened significantly under the tories and now the unions have to give quite a bit of notice to employers before holding a strike, not about being considerate it's about staying within the law.

rainbow
19-Aug-08, 19:36
I know the unions have to give notice of a strike, but the workers do not have to let their employers know if they intend to strike or not!