PDA

View Full Version : Jack Russell Pups

lorr_mun14
19-Dec-05, 12:35
Does anybody know of anywhere I could get a jack russell pup from. I know there were some in Wick back in September. Any help greatly appreciated.

unicorn
19-Dec-05, 13:21
If you are willing to wait for 1 I know someone who breeds beautiful jack russells and their 2 dogs were together about 2 weeks ago. Let me know if you are interested and I will ask them for you.

lorr_mun14
19-Dec-05, 13:58
Yes, would be interested definately. Can you find out if their tails would be docked, if they would be white & brown, are they short flat haired ones and what price would they be going for. Roughly when would they be ready as I have no clue how long a dog is expecting for (I am doing this for my sister!).

Thanks for your help.

lorr_mun14
19-Dec-05, 13:59
Thinking about it, I may want one for myself too as my two boys are desperate for a pup.

unicorn
19-Dec-05, 14:08
I have seen the last 2 litters so I can tell you they are smooth coated. dad is white and a lovely chestnut colour and mum is white black and chestnut. they are not tiny but not large either if that makes any sense lol.They charge £150 per pup and these are pedigreed.I do know that the puppies tails are not docked. The pregnancy for dogs is 9 weeks and they probably wont know for sure for a few weeks. Then you will have to wait about 10 weeks for pups to be ready but it will give you lots of time to be prepared

lorr_mun14
19-Dec-05, 14:27
Cheers Unicorn, that is very useful information. I rang my sister and she is keen to have a dog with a docked tail for some reason, so is not too sure if it's what she wants although she will keep in mind. I will check with my husband to what his preference is and keep in touch with you. As you say, we have plenty of time to think about it.

unicorn
19-Dec-05, 14:29
no problem at all, getting a docked dog these days is not easy though as it has to be done by a vet and there are very few who will actually do it.

lorr_mun14
19-Dec-05, 14:49
Yeh, I had heard that too. I think it's a shame to dock their tails anyway, leave them with what nature intended! I will keep in touch about the pups, I would want a girl.

Chillie
21-Dec-05, 04:46
No joke i lived next door to a guy who was called Mr Jack Russell and he had 3 pups i fancied one for years so one day i asked him if i could take the youngest one to the school dance he said no as i was to old for her so since then i never liked that breed.

Now i have a wick terrier never looked back:rolleyes:

buggyracer
21-Dec-05, 10:48
They charge £150 per pup and these are pedigreed.

When you say pedigreed, do you mean KC registered?? i thought jack russells werent allowed in the kennel club so how can they be pedigreed??

saffy100
21-Dec-05, 11:07
Hi

Just to let you know that the Kennel Club call them "Parsons Russell Terrier" but they are actually jack Russell and is now recognised by the Kennel Club, in fact i watched them on Krufts.

Pleasssse try and persuade the person to take one with a tail, as has been said it is now frowned upon and very difficult to get tails docked, this is how they express themselves, I'm glad to hear you like tails......

I have seen pups where the docking process left nerves open and they could'nt sit properly without yelping...such a shame.

buggyracer
21-Dec-05, 13:25
Hi

Just to let you know that the Kennel Club call them "Parsons Russell Terrier" but they are actually jack Russell and is now recognised by the Kennel Club, in fact i watched them on Krufts.

Pleasssse try and persuade the person to take one with a tail, as has been said it is now frowned upon and very difficult to get tails docked, this is how they express themselves, I'm glad to hear you like tails......

I have seen pups where the docking process left nerves open and they could'nt sit properly without yelping...such a shame.

A parsson russell terrier is a variant of the jack russell terrier, they are longer legged and often have a broken coat, the two types have different clubs and organisations, tails should be docked if they are for working purposes as a long tail will get in the way when the dog is down a hole but for pet purposes it will make little difference.

lorr_mun14
22-Dec-05, 10:44
Well that's very interesting. My hubby said a Jack Russell is not a pedigree but a mongrel, and termed as a Jack Russell Terrier. I disagreed with him as I have seen adverts for pedigree Jack Russells, but he is not convinced. Once upon a time, people used to give Jack Russells away for nothing, now they are charging anything from £150 upwards, infact down in England, they are getting between £200-£300 for a pup - surely that suggests they are pedigree? I understand the docking of the tail is entirely a breeders choice, some Jack Russells look "better" with a docked tail, other's don't. Personally, I still think it's a shame and the tail should be left, especially if it is going to be a pet.

Dumbo, I'm sure your terrier has served you well over the years, a faithful and loving companion!

buggyracer
22-Dec-05, 10:59
I beleive the parson russell is accepted to the kennel club but the jack russell as we all know isnt, but moves are affot to change this, a mongrel it certainly isnt, there are very strict breed standards that a dog must meet to attain jack russeell terrier club uk acceptance, have a look on there web site to find out more, if a breeder has long lines of russell breeding i have known them to charge upwards of £500.

Do a search for jack russell terrier club uk to find out what you should look for in a terrier, to help you pick the right dog

Sianymo
22-Dec-05, 11:43
The Jack Russell Terrier first came about in the 18th Century when Parson John Russell bought his milkman's fox terrier. He wanted a dog for hunting which was small enough to go to ground and flush out foxes, but also able to keep up with the horses (hence the longer legs). He bred what we know as the Jack Russell or what the Kennel Club now recognise as the Parson Russell Terrier.

The short legged efforts everyone thinks of as the Jack Russell is the Irish "shortie" who were used for rabbiting and ratting.

I think there is an American version too but can't remember what it's spec is.

Russell Terrier's can be rough or smooth coated or mixed.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/discoverdogs/terrier/t1060.htm (http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/discoverdogs/terrier/t1060.htm)

Read all about it here:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/breeds/Parson_Jack_Russell_Terrier.htm
(http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/discoverdogs/terrier/t1060.htm)

buggyracer
22-Dec-05, 13:01
Try here for jack russel info http://jackrussellgb.co.uk/

and here for parson terrier info http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/gm72/clubindx.htm

bigjjuk
22-Dec-05, 17:02
my 1st jack russell had his tail docked and he had problems with his tail his enitire life, the nerves were left and he constantly chewed his stump and caused continual inffections. I now have another jack russel with tail and as you can guess, is doing extremely well and has no problems. So why dock???
If nature had intended them to have short tails the that would be the case. How a tail could get in the way when they are down a hole is beyone me as it is the last thing to go into the hole. But maybe someone could enlighten me.

carasmam
22-Dec-05, 17:55
We have had J R's since I was a bairn, with docked tails, without docked tails, rough and smooth and they were all brilliant and lived til they were well in their teens. Personally i prefer the longer tail, something to wag when you come home !! I cant see either how a long tail would be in the way down a hole. A jack russell is a big commitment. They need loads of time if you want a dog that will answer your commands, or maybe its just me that got a strong willed little terror sorry terrier :D The love and devotion that you will get in return is worth it all though.

lab
22-Dec-05, 19:56
Dont know much about jack russels but I do know Vets will only dock the tails if it is keeper bred and then only a few will do it. If she does get a pup with a docked tail she would have to have proof when taking it to the vet for its injections who docked the tail as if it was done at home by the breeder the breeder and new owner can be done for animal cruelty.