PDA

View Full Version : Polytunnel advice

janemac
12-Aug-08, 20:44
Hi, we are thinking about getting a big polytunnel to grow all our veg in.

Just wondering if we would have problems with a polytunnel with the Caithness winds... don't want to see it blowing out to sea!

Would a greenhouse be better?

any advice greatly received thanks!

gollach
13-Aug-08, 10:01
Polytunnels are remarkably strong. We have one and a greenhouse and it is usually the greenhouse that gets damaged by wind up here.

Try speaking to Miles at Highland Polytunnels near Inverness Airport, very helpful guy when we were getting started.

Allsorts
13-Aug-08, 15:57
Hi,
We too have one and a greenhouse and have had no prbs with the pollytunnel up here and its fab for growing loads of stuff in. We do still use the greenhouse but more to start seeds off in before puting them in the tunnel. Our greenhouse has got damaged in the past too but the tunnel has been fine.
We to talked to Miles down near Inverness Airport before we got ours and also went over and spoke the guy at spittal.

janemac
13-Aug-08, 17:04
thanks for the advice! will let you know how i get on!:)

Dog-eared
13-Aug-08, 18:51
The sutherlands who grow soft fruit on the Westerdale road have big polytunnels with windbreaks around them.

janemac
13-Aug-08, 22:09
have sent off for a brochure from Highland Polytunnels!
veggies here we come (well, next year probably!)

Racoon
14-Aug-08, 15:08
Hi
I`ve been wanting a quote to re-cover my tunnel for months. I have been in touch with Miles and he will come to give me a quote only if he is up this way. I would be very interested if you could let me know if and when he is coming and then I will contact him again.Hopefully he will then call in here when he is passing. If you would be kind enough to send me a pm I would be very grateful.
Cheers
Racoon

janemac
14-Aug-08, 19:06
Racoon,

Will deffo let you know. Not sure when we will be getting ours, but will remember to PM you!
:D

Racoon
15-Aug-08, 14:16
will be very grateful for that. thanks:Razz