PDA

View Full Version : Sultana cake recipe

Westsider3
12-Aug-08, 20:08
I'm looking for a good, easy, fool-proof sultana cake recipe!! I tried one last week but most of the sultanas seemed to sink to the bottom. It still tasted lovely but didn't look good enough to give to the parents-in-law!!

Thanks in advance!

poppett
12-Aug-08, 20:54
If the recipe you tried was tasty and the only problem was the fruit sinking, try dusting the sultanas in flour before gently adding then to the mixture. For some (scientific) reason they distribute themselves better and hold their place.

Westsider3
12-Aug-08, 23:00
Hi

Thanks Poppett! I had heard about doing that to the sultanas but I had to let them soak in simmering water until most of the water had been absorbed. I thought then that it would be fairly impossible to dust them in the flour but I'll maybe give it a go next time as it did taste good! I have tried another recipe tonight - just letting it cool a bit before I cut it in half to see what like!!

Cheers for the advice!

Allsorts
18-Aug-08, 09:51
Hi,
When I do a sultana cake I boil the sultanas in a mug of tea (yes I did say tea) for 5 mins and then as I turn the heat of I add a tsp of bicarb of soda and it all fizzes up then let it cool down a bit before adding it to the cake mix. It gives a lovely moist cake and the sultanas are all over the cake too.