PDA

View Full Version : Radio1

Henrik7
11-Aug-08, 10:10
Who was the guy on Radio 1? Come on own up!!

Gogglebox
11-Aug-08, 12:51
Did hear that on Car Park Catchphrase

Ewan from Thurso who works in Eygpt!

He was quite funny and is back on tomorrow at about ten to ten

And for those who listen = = = He's Waving!!!

SNOWDOG
11-Aug-08, 12:51
Fill us in then? Although i dont think you'll find many people owning up to being on Radio 1 (Listener) :lol:

cd1977
11-Aug-08, 14:39
Unless you are under 15, Radio 1 is like psychological warfare.

hotrod4
11-Aug-08, 16:37
Unless you are under 15, Radio 1 is like psychological warfare.

Radio 1 rocks!!!! Its shows your getting old when you dont "dig the groove" ;)

cd1977
11-Aug-08, 16:51
It's the same ten or so songs repeated ad nauseum.

Already today I have heard one or two songs at least four times.

When you are forced to listen to this circus day in, day out believe me it is far from "groovy".

As for Chris Moyles bawling his head off first thing in the morning, repeating the same jokes over and over, and his sycophantic team guffawing away repeatedly - dinna get me started [evil]

trix
11-Aug-08, 16:57
Radio 1 rocks!!!! Its shows your getting old when you dont "dig the groove" ;)

im only nearly 30 an i cana go radio 1 at all...infact i wid go as far as sayin i detest'ed!! i guess i choost dina ''deeg 'e groove'' :lol:

i seen a quote on a previoius thread - ''life is too short til keep up wi new music...its far better til rediscover 'e auld''

never a truer word spoken....

hotrod4
11-Aug-08, 17:35
well pardon me for being a 38 year old cat whos groovin with the times.
You just gotta get down with the dudes and chics and throw some shapes on the floor, like I said Radio 1 is groovy man, turn on tune in and drop out ;)

tommy1979
11-Aug-08, 18:18
im only nearly 30 an i cana go radio 1 at all...infact i wid go as far as sayin i detest'ed!! i guess i choost dina ''deeg 'e groove'' :lol:

deary me trix :roll:

:lol:

Kevin Milkins
11-Aug-08, 18:32
I remember my late dad telling me that I listen to a load of rubbish on radio 1 , and me calling him an old fart.... / Jimmy Saville was the front man then with Tony Blackburn.
I later took to Steve Wright and have stuck with him when he moved to radio 2. If I tune into radio 1 now I begin to realise that I have become my dad.lol
I have no problem with the younger generation listening to radio 1 as long as they do not want to do it in my car.:D

Welcomefamily
11-Aug-08, 18:35
I feel the same Radio 2 today was yesterdays Radio 1.

percy toboggan
11-Aug-08, 18:37
Is Dave Lee Travis still on then?
I hope not.

Kevin Milkins
11-Aug-08, 18:39
Is Dave Lee Travis still on then?
I hope not.
The hairy cornflake... he was alright.:confused

joxville
11-Aug-08, 18:47
Even though I worked as a DJ for a few years I never listened to Radio 1 because it was heavily biased towards the English. I've always preferred local radio or Radio 2, the latter before it became what it is today-the UK's most popular station. As for the Radio 1 roadshow, it would pay a couple of token visits to Scotland, Wales and Ireland,the rest would be around England.
Unfortunately my son is now at an age where he is getting into music and his choice of station is......Radio 1.:( (Poor boy, I blame his mother)

percy toboggan
11-Aug-08, 18:51
The Radio One roadshow used to work its way around the coast of Britain...there may be many reasons for complaining about Anglo-centric policies within the BBC but I do not think this is one of them...if you consider the population of England and the length of it's coastline...then factor in the lack of much of a population around Scotlands coast then I rest my case. Incidentally I'd have paid good money to have the Radio One road show stay away from my town.

mccaugm
11-Aug-08, 20:02
Radio 1 is pants, but at least the music is recognisable. My eldest listens to heavy rock which for the most part is just a terrible noise. Incidentally he leaves home tomorrow so luckily for me my middle son likes more contemporary music which is bearable.

I quite like radio 2, same D J's I grew up with, playing good music both old and new.

From a previous thread I made it clear that I could not stand Radio Scotland...so will kill that thought right now.:confused

joxville
11-Aug-08, 20:11
From a previous thread I made it clear that I could not stand Radio Scotland...so will kill that thought right now.:confused

While you're at it could you kill Radio Dreich Scotland.

Corsastu
11-Aug-08, 20:53
as i recall this was a thread on asking who the guy on radio 1 was,not a thread on who likes it and who doesnt(oldies)

trix
11-Aug-08, 21:01
yer point bein?? :Razz

Kevin Milkins
11-Aug-08, 21:05
as i recall this was a thread on asking who the guy on radio 1 was,not a thread on who likes it and who doesnt(oldies)
Do we need a licence now for a trip down memory lane.?lol:D

unicorn
11-Aug-08, 21:11
nothing ever really stays on track :lol: I was not listening today so no idea who it was.

Metalattakk
11-Aug-08, 22:36
I wouldn't be caught dead listening to Radio 1 - it's just radio for bairns, full of idiots shouting louder than the other idiot.

Add to that the complete lack of rock music (you know, proper music) on it's playlists and it's a big thumbs-down from me.

Radio 1 is the reason decent young rock and metal bands don't get a fair go in the modern media - it's their playlist system that has driven all the good music underground, and has helped leave the modern music industry floundering.

It's no more than they deserve.

hotrod4
12-Aug-08, 08:37
I wouldn't be caught dead listening to Radio 1 - it's just radio for bairns, full of idiots shouting louder than the other idiot.

Add to that the complete lack of rock music (you know, proper music) on it's playlists and it's a big thumbs-down from me.

Radio 1 is the reason decent young rock and metal bands don't get a fair go in the modern media - it's their playlist system that has driven all the good music underground, and has helped leave the modern music industry floundering.

Jo whiley is normally pretty good with her finger on the pulse. She plays alot of good rock(though not metal but good hard stuff!) as does Zane lowe at night.

Gogglebox
12-Aug-08, 10:17

When you are forced to listen to this circus day in, day out believe me it is far from "groovy".

As for Chris Moyles bawling his head off first thing in the morning, repeating the same jokes over and over, and his sycophantic team guffawing away repeatedly - dinna get me started [evil]

So you listen then! If its so bad and you dont like it why listen - -masochist!! lol

Metalattakk
12-Aug-08, 10:22
Jo whiley is normally pretty good with her finger on the pulse. She plays alot of good rock(though not metal but good hard stuff!) as does Zane lowe at night.

No they don't, they play exactly what their record company masters tell them to play.

floyed
12-Aug-08, 10:34
I think radio 1 is fab, great tunes and a laugh a minute! It's great first thing in the morning to cheer me up:D

cd1977
12-Aug-08, 10:34
Gogglebox, please read my reply again.

Clue - it's in the third sentence.

I have no choice in the matter.

And to add a further comment re Radio 1 - the newsbeat programme - the newsreaders speak to the listener as if they are in Primary 4 and have no prior knowledge of world affairs.

It's utter bilge and I grudge my licence fee paying for this kids entertainment.

skinnydog
12-Aug-08, 13:01
Who was the guy on Radio 1? Come on own up!!

So we are no further on as to who this lad Ewan is?
Was he back on the radio this morning?

Henrik7
12-Aug-08, 13:11
So guess no-one knows him then? Wow can't believe the way this thread went. You people really do like complaining.

To be honest I only listen to chris moyles on Radio 1 and once thats finished it's over to MFR for the rest of the morning then Radio 2 (I am in my early 20's too believe it or not lol)for the rest of the afternoon. You could say I have a very versatile like of music lol. At the end of the day everyone has different tastes.

hotrod4
12-Aug-08, 17:44
So guess no-one knows him then? Wow can't believe the way this thread went. You people really do like complaining.

To be honest I only listen to chris moyles on Radio 1 and once thats finished it's over to MFR for the rest of the morning then Radio 2 (I am in my early 20's too believe it or not lol)for the rest of the afternoon. You could say I have a very versatile like of music lol. At the end of the day everyone has different tastes.

We certainly do! look at your signature pic for example ;)
Can we please have a picture of Kenny Miller in his new strip please not his old Primark one!!!!!

I agree with you I also like Radio 2 at times as it plays a bit of eveything and isnt as old hat as it once was. Like Steve wright and Chris Evans but I dwaw the line at wossy!!

grumpyhippo
12-Aug-08, 18:11
Did hear that on Car Park Catchphrase

Ewan from Thurso who works in Eygpt!

He was quite funny and is back on tomorrow at about ten to ten

And for those who listen = = = He's Waving!!!

It was EUAN from Thurso...... no more clues but you can buy him a pint in town in a couple of weeks time. ( its hot and dry in the desert):lol::lol:

balto
12-Aug-08, 18:11
radio 1 used to be good, a few years ago, now i cant stand listening to it, give me radio 2 or moray firth.

Amy-Winehouse
12-Aug-08, 20:00
No they don't, they play exactly what their record company masters tell them to play.

I beg to differ & agree with Hotrod4. They do play other alternative & rock music & Jo Whiley does try & bring in new bands.

I do find her a bit patronising though but Id rather listen to her than Tich Mccooey on MFR anytime day month or century!!!

He is dire.

sprint95m
12-Aug-08, 21:57

You do not need to listen to Radio One to know that cd1977 is correct. The Radio One playlist for each week is published on the BBC website. Radio One, by its own admission, makes no attempt to be representative of the general public's taste.

The late John Peel is badly missed I feel. He played what he wanted and pretty much said what he thought too. On its release in 1975 (during the time his slot had been reduced to one hour) he played all of Bob Dylan's "Desire" LP on one show (while he was turning this record over he played a reggae song), just because he thought it was such a good record. None of the bosses at Radio One even noticed.
Often he was given credit for "breaking" bands, but he himself felt this was untrue, he merely speeded up what was inevitable.

joxville
12-Aug-08, 23:31
I beg to differ & agree with Hotrod4. They do play other alternative & rock music & Jo Whiley does try & bring in new bands.

I do find her a bit patronising though but Id rather listen to her than Tich Mccooey on MFR anytime day month or century!!!

He is dire.

Oh God, I'd forgotten about him, how I'm glad I live in Hampshire. It wound me up how he thought it grrrrreat to rrrrrroll hi rrrrrrr's.

JamesMcVean
13-Aug-08, 00:41
Radio 1 is a lot better in some respects...it actually plays rock music these days...I remember the late 80's early 90's - Iron Maiden would get ZERO airplay on Radio 1 because it wasnt cool...yet their fans still gave them the 1991 Newyear No 1 !! Only Sir Cliff's Mistletoe and wine keeping them from getting the Crimbo No 1 too...lol

But saying that 90% of the stuff in the charts - in my opinion - is utter drivel!! My 6yr old got NOW70 and I think there is 2 good songs on a double CD!!!!!!

Nuff Said

rambo1978
13-Aug-08, 00:47

Lol! think it's time you came out of the 'rock' genre, there's plenty different alternative genres available, come out of the 'rock' closet for gods sake! :eek:

Metalattakk
13-Aug-08, 00:59
Lol! think it's time you came out of the 'rock' genre, there's plenty different alternative genres available, come out of the 'rock' closet for gods sake! :eek:

Eh, who the hell are you to tell me what music to listen to?

You are trying to dictate to others in exactly the same fashion as those corrupt music publishers who dominate the Radio 1 playlists.

joxville
13-Aug-08, 01:42
Radio 1 is a lot better in some respects...it actually plays rock music these days...I remember the late 80's early 90's - Iron Maiden would get ZERO airplay on Radio 1 because it wasnt cool...yet their fans still gave them the 1991 Newyear No 1 !! Only Sir Cliff's Mistletoe and wine keeping them from getting the Crimbo No 1 too...lol

But saying that 90% of the stuff in the charts - in my opinion - is utter drivel!! My 6yr old got NOW70 and I think there is 2 good songs on a double CD!!!!!!

Nuff Said

NOW 70!!! I can remember the very first Now album-that was drivel too.

cd1977
13-Aug-08, 11:41
All chart music is drivel, and relies on exploitation of both the "artists" and the sheep who buy it.

Unfortunately for the rest of us, it is heavily backed by ruthless corporations who use broadcasters such as Jo Whiley and Edith Bowman to sell it for them.

I've lost count of the number of times I have been told that, for instance, Coldplay are "wonderful" and "brilliant" and "fantastic" and loads of other OTT hyperbole, by the above named.

I will make up my own mind on that one, thanks.

Welcomefamily
13-Aug-08, 18:08
Perhap it should be put on the other thread, Now 1, thats a fair time ago.

pulteney person
13-Aug-08, 21:17
Radio 1 is the only station I listen to and I am 45. Chris Moyles gets people's backs up but they don't have to listen to him. I set my alarm so I catch his show from 6.30 every morning although I must say that it has gone downhill a little lately. I like Edith Bowman, Scott Mills, Vernon Kay, Dick and Dom and Jo Whiley.
I listened to radio 2 when I was in the dentists and it was ok but not quite my thing.
I like the 'golden oldies' but can't quite pull myself away from Radio 1, perhaps by the time I reach 50!

I don't know who the Thurso guy is but I heard him on the radio.

euanmur
15-Aug-08, 07:47
I'll hold my hand up it was me and i was truely robbed of a glorious victory.

scorrie
15-Aug-08, 15:26

Here is the line-up from that CLASSIC

* You Can't Hurry Love - Phil Collins
* Is There Something I Should Know - Duran Duran
* Red Red Wine - UB40
* Only For Love - Limahl
* Temptation - Heaven 17
* Give It Up - KC & The Sunshine Band
* Double Dutch - Malcolm McLaren
* Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
* Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
* Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
* Too Shy - Kajagoogoo
* Down Under - Men At Work
* Moonlight Shadow - Mike Oldfield
* (Hey You) The Rock Steady Crew - Rock Steady Crew
* Baby Jane - Rod Stewart
* Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home) - Paul Young
* Candy Girl - New Edition
* Big Apple (Metro Mix) - Kajagoogoo
* Let's Stay Together - Tina Turner
* (Keep Feeling) Fascination - The Human League
* New Song - Howard Jones
* Please Don't Make Me Cry - UB40
* Tonight I Celebrate My Love -Roberta Flack & Peabo Bryson
* They Don't Know - Tracey Ullman
* Kissing With Confidence - Will Powers
* That's All - Genesis
* Love Cats - The Cure
* Waterfront (Union Jack Remix) - Simple Minds
* The Sun And The Rain - Madness
* Victims - Culture Club

TWO Kajagoogoo songs AND one from Limahl. Torture is not adequate a word to describe it!!

joxville
15-Aug-08, 15:48
Yep, just as I said earlier-the album is drivel. 20 something years later still doesn't make it better with only 4 on it that I liked. Unfortunately I had to play most of them when I was DJ-ing back then. :(

Three years later I quit the disco scene 'cos of having to play the same old dross.

loneranger
15-Aug-08, 23:40
i think radio 1 is the best.

espeacially chris moyles,scott mills and vernon kay

do listen to radio 2 now and again to jermey vine, but cant stand wogan!

mfr is just rubbbish with lots of adverts and amatuer sounding dj's.

just my 2pence worth

joxville
15-Aug-08, 23:49

just my 2pence worth

Sorry to inform you but due to the money markets lately your 2p worth is now only worth 0.0075p

ocd
16-Aug-08, 18:27
I'll hold my hand up it was me and i was truely robbed of a glorious victory.

You certainly were robbed... what was that all about???? Were they paying to phone you or what?

kgunn
16-Aug-08, 21:41
Clearly it is Matt Fincham's fault all these stupid people dont like radio1 :D

kgunn
16-Aug-08, 21:42

just my 2pence worth

Exactly. And MFR is Matt Fincham's fault :D;)

hotrod4
17-Aug-08, 08:25
Anything is better than MFR, its just pants its the same old songs over and over again. Play older songs but at least change them from time to time. And tich mcspewie is a rubbish Dj that should have been put out to pasture along time ago.
I fluctuate from Radio 1 to Radio 2 depending on my mood. My tastes are so varied I like Rock,metal,dance,chart,r & B, hip hop. I hate to be pigeon holed so am open to listen to anything!