PDA

View Full Version : Britain from Above

Rheghead
10-Aug-08, 23:22
Anyone see it on the telly tonight? I thought it was a bit boring and it fell well short of what I was wanting out of it. Very little in the the way of Scotland as well.

tommy1979
10-Aug-08, 23:26
watched the first 5 mins, looked very poor and turned it over

golach
10-Aug-08, 23:39
Watched Passage much more enlightening

DeHaviLand
11-Aug-08, 00:17
watched the first 5 mins, looked very poor and turned it over

Aye, I've seen you look like that lots of times Tommy:lol::lol:

2little2late
11-Aug-08, 00:32
Not what I expected. Was expecting to see aerial views of the whole of the U.K. Was centred mainly on London and Birmingham.

plasticjock
11-Aug-08, 01:03
Yeah...I felt it was a bit like 'London From Above' with other places just being used to emphase the 'importance' of the Capital, as if we didn't know.
I like Andrew Marr but it appears that the cutbacks at the Beeb, to pay for Jonathan Ross's bloated contract, are limiting the number of camera crews that were available to the camera makers. Must admit, though, I enjoyed the aerial pictures of the Coastguard checking up on all those tankers coming up the coast. Would like to have seen more of that.
The programme, as a whole, reminded me of Simon Schama's ' A History of Britain' which relegated the kings of Wales, Scotland and Ireland to the periphery, presumably 'cos it was easier to research the english monarchy documentation in the Oxbridge libraries.
After the second episode I stopped watching.

joxville
11-Aug-08, 22:10
For anyone interested here is a link to the website for the programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/britainfromabove/

Errogie
11-Aug-08, 22:32
Likewise disappointed, Dr. Rae and the Franklin disaster was much more interesting with its insight into Victorian attitudes to the suggestion that British naval officers might have resorted to cannibalism.

Welcomefamily
11-Aug-08, 22:35
It was different.

golach
11-Aug-08, 22:36
Likewise disappointed, Dr. Rae and the Franklin disaster was much more interesting with its insight into Victorian attitudes to the suggestion that British naval officers might have resorted to cannibalism.
Totally agree, and well presented