PDA

View Full Version : taxi's near miss!!!

JammyDodger69
10-Aug-08, 21:06
i'm sick of thurso's taxis thinking they own the road!

earlier on today a 'pentland cab' taxi almost drove staright into the side of my mothers £7000 freelander which we are supposed to be ''looking after'' while they are on holiday.
the car was parked outside our house and the taxi came flying round a corner onto our street so fast that they then had to take it wide, barely missing the side of the car, close enough that it set the alarm off.
thankfully there was a buystander who seen the whole thing. when my partner spoke to the person who did it, they said ''oh i didnt realise, i did here an alarm go of right enough''.....they dont even know how dangerous they are, good job i wasn't putting one of my children into the car at the time!!!!!

rfr10
10-Aug-08, 21:26
I think everyone knows my views on taxi drivers so I wont mention anymore :lol:

DeHaviLand
10-Aug-08, 21:27

earlier on today a 'pentland cab' taxi almost drove staright into the side of my mothers £7000 freelander which we are supposed to be ''looking after'' while they are on holiday.
the car was parked outside our house and the taxi came flying round a corner onto our street so fast that they then had to take it wide, barely missing the side of the car, close enough that it set the alarm off.
thankfully there was a buystander who seen the whole thing. when my partner spoke to the person who did it, they said ''oh i didnt realise, i did here an alarm go of right enough''.....they dont even know how dangerous they are, good job i wasn't putting one of my children into the car at the time!!!!!

Well, you're hardly looking after it if you're just gonna leave it sitting on the road, are you?:roll::lol:

JammyDodger69
10-Aug-08, 21:35
well i can hardly take it in the house...it is better that stayin at an empty house in the middle of nowhere.... well i though it was..

domino
10-Aug-08, 21:55
Is it really fair to tar all taxi drivers with the same brush?

JammyDodger69
10-Aug-08, 22:04
most of them are as bad as each other,
the ammount of times i've had to swerve out of the way for flippin taxi's taking up the whole road like they are driving a bus!
barging through when i'm the one with right of way and they dont even wave to thankyou for waiting (not that you'd have any choice)!
not stopping at junctions, they've usually got the whole nose of the car over the white lines on to a main road before they stop to look if another vehicle is coming, by that time you've had to break hard for them!
or they just pull out off the taxi ranks, usually no indicators, not even a glance to their mirrors or blind spot!

i think most of them need to go and re-sit their driving test.

JAWS
11-Aug-08, 07:33
Moving the car to a safer place further away from the corner might be a good idea.

Mr P Cannop
11-Aug-08, 08:57

did you report them to the police and or 01847 895474 ??

rfr10
11-Aug-08, 10:09
Moving the car to a safer place further away from the corner might be a good idea.

But even that, they should never be turning into a street so quick that they are unable to stop safely. I mean, what if there was a person crossing the road? They would have no chance.

Amy-Winehouse
11-Aug-08, 10:51
But even that, they should never be turning into a street so quick that they are unable to stop safely. I mean, what if there was a person crossing the road? They would have no chance.

Youve just contradicted yourself again, you told us you werent going to comment any further as Taxi drivers appear to be the anti-christ in your opinion.:roll:

rfr10
11-Aug-08, 11:05
Youve just contradicted yourself again, you told us you werent going to comment any further as Taxi drivers appear to be the anti-christ in your opinion.:roll:

No no no.. you've changed my words about ;) I said I wouldn't mention my views on taxi drivers anymore and I didn't... :)

What I referred to in my last post applies to everyone.

Tighsonas4
11-Aug-08, 12:43
well my views remain as they always were
have just come through town and one pulled out of back bridge st in front of me and was trying to take the lights on red tony

sms
11-Aug-08, 13:49
Dont tar all taxi drivers as the same, there are some decent ones out there, i think some of the public that drive are just as bad as the one u mentioned

Fesman
11-Aug-08, 14:06
One of the things I notice about taxi drivers is that they all drive cars with a big "TAXI" sign, in lights, on the roof and the word "TAXI" written on the sides of the car.

One thing I notice about drivers, in general, is that some of them seem to drive erratically and, oft-times, dangerously.

I notice a huge number of Taxis on the road, but a greater number of private motorists.

I do tend to recall well marked vehicles behaving erratically, but I also recall a greater number of unmarked vehicles doing the same.

I'd be more inclined to bemoan the driving skills (or lack of them) of the general public, than I would bemoan the same lack of concern by taxi drivers.

rfr10
11-Aug-08, 17:16
Sorry I have to mention this which has nothing to do with taxis but what I found quite amusing. Was with a few friends today. We were in Tesco car park and I was at one side of the road and they were just crossing the road as they saw a car far away and which was travelling very slow (about 5-10 mph). When they were about half way across the road, this car approached and gave an angry panic face as he swerved away onto the other side of the road as though there was a car travelling towards him at high speed! I have to say, I just gave a look as though to say "calm down" It's as though he didn't know how to use a brake. Ridiculous drviving I must say.

tommy1979
11-Aug-08, 18:15
i'm sick of taxis thinking they own the road!

I could say the same about they delivery drivers, especially they wans in big yellow vans :lol:

JammyDodger69
11-Aug-08, 18:58
the car is sitting on a straight road with lots of other roads turning on to it...it isnt parked directly round a corner!!
we have two cars and the only place to park them is infront of our house......
these are 'quiet' narrow roads which are full off crossroads, nobody should be driving at those speeds, the junction that the taxi came from which leads onto our road was one which you should creep your car out off as there are houses blocking your views from both sides.
exactly, i'm glad that i wasn't crossing with my children or dogs.

and yes i do agree that there are a lot of other bad drivers out there...not just taxis!!

unicorn
11-Aug-08, 19:37
The worst I have seen far too often recently is everyday motorists who feel it is ok to just pull out in front of you when they are waiting at junctions, we have had a few near misses with this recently, why can't people just wait their turn?

rfr10
11-Aug-08, 20:23
Other things that annoy me (well.. not all because I'd be here for a long time!)-

Cars which over take you when you are driving at 30mph on the road going out to Tesco.

Cars which wait until the last minute at a roundabout or junction and pull out in front of you.

Cars which cut in front of you at crossroads instead of going round nearside to nearside and then give you funny looks as they cut in front.

Cars which drive right up at your back and pull half way out onto the other side of the road to see if there are any cars coming when it would make more sense to sit further back so you can see the road ahead.

Cars which go round and round the roundabout in Wick and back and forth through the town centre- especially ones who haven't even passed their test.

Drivers who look into your car as they over take as if to say "why are you only travelling at 60mph.

Drivers that overtake in a hug line of traffic and get past a couple of cars and are forced to pull in again- getting no further than they already did.

Drivers who over take and immediately after, turn off the road into a junction or somthing instead of waiting.

Drivers who forget to turn their indicators off, especially when they are signalling right and you need to overtake. Usually happens with buses!

Erm.... weell that's a few ;)

DeHaviLand
11-Aug-08, 20:45
Cars which wait until the last minute at a roundabout or junction and pull out in front of you.

Cars which cut in front of you at crossroads instead of going round nearside to nearside and then give you funny looks as they cut in front.

If they didnt wait till the last minute, then they wouldn't be pulling out in front of you, and it wouldn't be nearly so much fun.

Back to driving school for you my lad, when they go round in front of you, this is nearside to nearside.

DeHaviLand
11-Aug-08, 20:47
I could say the same about they delivery drivers, especially they wans in big yellow vans :lol:

Luckily for you, council drivers are not reading this thread.:Razz

rfr10
11-Aug-08, 21:17
If they didnt wait till the last minute, then they wouldn't be pulling out in front of you, and it wouldn't be nearly so much fun.

Back to driving school for you my lad, when they go round in front of you, this is nearside to nearside.

I can sense a dangerous driver :Razz

Is it? Oh well, I'm not licenced yet. I just thought that would make more sense as its the side nearest to the driver which meets the same side in the other vehicle when you're passing behind each other. Then you would think offside to offside would mean that the passenger side passes each other.. Well.. I'm wrong then but I've just forgotten. I've done practice tests about this and got it right so I have no problem and one wrong point doens't really mean much. Everyone learns by mistakes.

rfr10
11-Aug-08, 21:18
Luckily for you, council drivers are not reading this thread.:Razz

Oh you never do know ;)

DeHaviLand
11-Aug-08, 21:36
I can sense a dangerous driver :Razz

Is it? Oh well, I'm not licenced yet. I just thought that would make more sense as its the side nearest to the driver which meets the same side in the other vehicle when you're passing behind each other. Then you would think offside to offside would mean that the passenger side passes each other.. Well.. I'm wrong then but I've just forgotten. I've done practice tests about this and got it right so I have no problem and one wrong point doens't really mean much. Everyone learns by mistakes.

Nearside is the side nearest the kerb.

rfr10
11-Aug-08, 22:01
Nearside is the side nearest the kerb.

I just realised that while thinking about it :) I would have though though that it would refer to the two cars and their position to each other.

Whitewater
11-Aug-08, 22:30
I have always thought driving in Caithness was generally bad, but I had to revise my opinion after my most recent visit to the Isle of Man, a beautiful place but you have to be very careful when negotiating junctions, you take your life in your hands, nobody seems to know when it's their turn to move off, they all sit looking at each other and then they all take off at once. Great fun to watch but not to be involved in. Also some of the mountain roads have no speed limit but that is another storey, sends chills up my spine.

northener
11-Aug-08, 23:04
most of them are as bad as each other,

i think most of them need to go and re-sit their driving test.

And I think that most people who spout tripe like this are mindless cretins who speak through the crack in their backside.

AfternoonDelight
14-Aug-08, 10:54
A red taxi that I have never seen before jumped right out in front of me at a junction in Wick yesterday, he then proceeded to give me a hand signal telling me there was ONE of something...

How nice...

Amy-Winehouse
18-Aug-08, 03:44
And I think that most people who spout tripe like this are mindless cretins who speak through the crack in their backside.

Well said matey, especially the extremely critical ones that havent yet passed their tests

Melancholy Man
19-Aug-08, 09:32
Is it really fair to tar all taxi drivers with the same brush?

The whole fun of prejudice, I would have thought.

TBH
19-Aug-08, 10:09
Other things that annoy me (well.. not all because I'd be here for a long time!)-

Cars which over take you when you are driving at 30mph on the road going out to Tesco.

Cars which drive right up at your back and pull half way out onto the other side of the road to see if there are any cars coming when it would make more sense to sit further back so you can see the road ahead.

Cars which go round and round the roundabout in Wick and back and forth through the town centre- especially ones who haven't even passed their test.

Drivers who look into your car as they over take as if to say "why are you only travelling at 60mph.

Drivers that overtake in a hug line of traffic and get past a couple of cars and are forced to pull in again- getting no further than they already did.

Drivers who over take and immediately after, turn off the road into a junction or somthing instead of waiting.

Drivers who forget to turn their indicators off, especially when they are signalling right and you need to overtake. Usually happens with buses!

Erm.... weell that's a few ;)Have you got some sort of irrational phobia of cars and their drivers?

Melancholy Man
19-Aug-08, 10:18
I have an irrational fear of being pursued down Princes Street by Japanese demons, their foul black hair covering their faces whist they emit an appalling death rattle. Pursued, pursued in fear of my very soul before being dragged into the dark waters of Thurso River.

Venture
19-Aug-08, 10:25
I have an irrational fear of being pursued down Princes Street by Japanese demons, their foul black hair covering their faces whist they emit an appalling death rattle. Pursued, pursued in fear of my very soul before being dragged into the dark waters of Thurso River.

Judging by the content of some of your posts on the org first thing in the morning, I'm beginning to wonder what you have for breakfast Melancholy Man.

Melancholy Man
19-Aug-08, 11:01
It's all part of the joy of living.

hotrod4
19-Aug-08, 12:40
It's all part of the joy of living.

I'll have a pint of it too please!! ;)
What shop do you get it out of?

I think some more on this thread need it as they obviously have phobias about taxi drivers, they cant all be bad as I have been taking taxis for 30 years and have never been in an accident with them so what does that tell you? luck or there not all that bad?
Me I thinks the latter :)

northener
19-Aug-08, 14:35
I used to hear the same cobblers when I was a motorcycle courier in London.

"All them despatch riders and black cab drivers-they all think they own the road...etc...etc"

When you're doing 60k+ miles per annum around busy town centres/roads - the odd mistake will creep in, but not enough to warrant the tearful cries of fear and anguish from some people...

If they get frightened and stressed by cabbies (and motorbikes) - then maybe their hazard perception skills and general awareness levels aren't as good as they would like to think.........

If I've got cars trucks or bikes around me, I expect them to stop/turn/change their mind at the last second. Maybe that's why I've never crashed into anyone.
But I've been hit on my bike 3 times by myopic car drivers pulling out without looking:
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" - BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T LOOK, YOU ARSE!.

All in all, there will always be rogue drivers in Taxis....but....if the cab firms pay decent wages, they'll be able to pick better drivers. To get better drivers they'd have to pay more. To pay more - they'd have to charge more to the customers.

But wait a minute, aren't some of the people complaining about low standards amongst taxi drivers the same ones who whinge about the price of taxis?
Well, well, well......nothing like a bit of narrow minded penny pinching hipocrisy, is there?[disgust]

spurtle
19-Aug-08, 16:27
I got a taxi into Wick one Saturday night and he drove over 80 miles an hour and there was thick fog.What is it that makes me think I'm being rude if I complain?

northener
19-Aug-08, 20:19
I got a taxi into Wick one Saturday night and he drove over 80 miles an hour and there was thick fog.What is it that makes me think I'm being rude if I complain?

Spurtle, I'd have no hesitation in telling the driver to back off.
If he got lippy I'd get the licence plate/badge number and go straight to the Licensing dept at the Council.
Unfortunately, most of us won't say anything because we are too polite and feel it is ourselves that will be seen as the villain for daring to complain.

This goes back to what I just said about there always being rogue drivers....if you speak to most of the drivers, they'll tell you that they're not prepared to risk their own and their passengers lives just to turn a quick fare.

Also, I wouldn't use the Taxi firm again.......

joxville
19-Aug-08, 22:36
Don't know if there is any truth in this but I heard it back in the 90's when I was a taxi driver in Thurso.

A taxi was taking a customer to Inverness and lost control of the car on the Casseymire, ending up on it's roof. The emergency services had to be called out and before leaving the scene the driver asked the passenger for the fare!

TBH
19-Aug-08, 22:38
Don't know if there is any truth in this but I heard it back in the 90's when I was a taxi driver in Thurso.

A taxi was taking a customer to Inverness and lost control of the car on the Casseymire, ending up on it's roof. The emergency services had to be called out and before leaving the scene the driver asked the passenger for the fare!And the Passenger said?'

Amy-Winehouse
19-Aug-08, 22:57
And the Passenger said?'

Roll over , Roll over or was it pull over??

TBH
19-Aug-08, 23:04
Roll over , Roll over or was it pull over??
No, the passenger shouted, 'Pull over' and the driver thought they said roll over.[lol]

Valerie Campbell
20-Aug-08, 11:38
Technically, if you park on a public road, you're causing an obstruction and you can be done for it. BUT when there's nowhere else to park, what are people supposed to do, for example, if they live in a house with no garage or driveway? We're lucky in that we have a driveway, but people park opposite it all the time and it's a real pain trying to get in and out at times.