PDA

View Full Version : The seven deadly sins of motoring

bettedaviseyes
10-Aug-08, 20:51
Under fire from all corners it's not hard to feel sinful every time you turn the key these days.
Politicians and campaigners seem keen to paint the motorist as evil, when all we really want to do is get around.
We can be our own worst enemies though. Obsessed with using our cars as mobile status symbols, falsely believing that driving fast equates to virility, lavishing precious time and money on pointlessly extravagant - the world of motoring is full of potentially sinful behaviour. So where should we look for guidance?

1.Lust – the love of extravagant sportscars
2.Envy-using your car to flaunt wealth and status
3.Wrath – aggressive driving and road rage
4.Gluttony – using up the world’s resources
5.Greed – driving needlessly thirsty cars
6.Sloth – driving when you should be walking
7.Pride – wasting time and money on pointless status symbols.

joxville
10-Aug-08, 22:25
I'm guilty of 1,4 & 5.

Welcomefamily
10-Aug-08, 22:46
1. I dont like sports cars, perfer 4 x 4s, 2. car was for size to take family, 3. my wife says I can be aggressive when Im driving however I would disagree, 4. I would use alternative if one could be found at reasonable price 5. and paying for it, 6. Guilty, 7. practical use.

Kevin Milkins
10-Aug-08, 23:09
Its 4,5,and 6 for me I am ashamed to say:(

Rheghead
10-Aug-08, 23:16
I'll pander o'er whats left, Hope. Hope that we can all change our ways even though we may not like to.

teenybash
11-Aug-08, 00:06
I don't drive but oh does and I think he would be guilty on 3,4,5 and 7.
If I were a driver I would want something small that wouldn't go beyond 40mph and preferable would run on water....but I will never drive.............

TRUCKER
11-Aug-08, 05:43
I am guilty of 1 4 5 6.

JAWS
11-Aug-08, 06:59
3,4,5,6, and 7 for me, although number 3 has worn off significantly since I left the city behind. As for No. 1, that would only happen if I thought I could afford to get a 7 litre Ford GT40, now there is a car I really would like.
The only one left out is No. 2, and that's probably only because I'm to self-centred to worry about other people's opinion of me.

And do I feel worried or ashamed about my extremely selfish attitude and lack of care about the destruction of the planet?
Not in the least, the planet will still be here for millions of years, with or without the actions of humans.

If my memory serves me correctly, the first time a human found that by rubbing two sticks together he could create his own fire a voice cried out, "Stop him, somebody, or everybody will be at it and they'll burn the whole planet down. It will be the end of all of us, I tell you"
Yes, the doom and gloom merchants were at it that long ago, and, in one form or another, with every generation since.
"Behold, the end of the World is at hand. Repent from your evil ways or you will all be cast into the pit of destruction!"

hotrod4
11-Aug-08, 07:29
1,4,6,7 for me.
If I had the cash the gas guzzler would be at my door,possibly a Vauxhall manaro but if I had that amount of cash I wouldnt care!
Road rage I dont do,BUT i do curse and swear at some drivers who's new cars dont come with Indicators from the privacy of my own car :(

Fesman
11-Aug-08, 13:42
I drive a truck.

It is registered, has a current Certificate of Fitness, Road User Charges are paid up for the next 9000Km and it is fully insured. I drive according to the Road Rules.

Apart from the above, no-one is going to tell me how and when I use my truck.

The only sin I may commit, is when I use the size of my vehicle to force a right of way :)

rfr10
11-Aug-08, 17:38
Well let's see. I haven't passed my test yet but when I do, I should think..

1. Although some sports cars look very cool, I want a Ford Mondeo. Any chunky, heavy duty car will do me fine. I tend to listen to the sound of car engines haha.

2. Not really.. but I wouldn't buy a Rover like we have right now or any other bangers :lol: I would feel embarassed.

3. Well I get annoyed with my mum and dad when they drive at 50mph but I myself wouldn't exceed the speed limit.

4. I think it's the people who drive big huge 4x4's that are like this.

5. Same as above..

6. Well usually anywhere outwith 1 mile, I tend to get lifts to. Unless walking with a friend or something.

7. That's what makes a car a car. I especially like the ones which tell you if someone is not wearing a seatbelt and which seat that person is sitting in or a message which comes up on a screen which says "Rear left door open" I would also like a Satnav aswell.

See.. I have everything planned out already for when I'm able to drive.

Whitewater
11-Aug-08, 22:42
Guess I'm guilty of them all except No.1, only reason I'm not guilty of that now is because of my age I'm just too stiff to get in and out of the low seats easily. I like noisy exhausts and acceleration, not so fussed about top speed, but acceleration really makes driving much safer when you can blast past slower traffic and get back onto the correct side of the road ASAP.

Tilter
13-Aug-08, 00:20
Wow, as I suspected, I'm perfect. Almost. Can't help no. 4 though - have to drive sometimes, but am really thinking about necessity for trips now and cutting down/combining errands.

joxville
13-Aug-08, 00:29
If I won the lottery I'd be guilty of all except number 3.

Hmmm...now if I can just pick those six numbers.