PDA

View Full Version : Job applications

cuddlepop
10-Aug-08, 16:18
Has anyone else noticed just how much information is attached to a job description these days?
Oh currently trying to do the story and having great difficulty mentioning all relevent experience without it turning into "War and Peace":eek:

Just what are some employers looking for :confused

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and as to references do you put your current employer down even if you've only worked there a few months.?

golach
10-Aug-08, 16:24
can I suggest that you google How to write a CV, there are many web sites to choose from

cuddlepop
10-Aug-08, 16:25
can I suggest that you google How to write a CV, there are many web sites to choose from

Its one of the application forms that dont want you to submit your CV,this seems to be the way things are going aswell.:roll:

EDDIE
10-Aug-08, 16:26
What a lot of young people dont relise when i applying for jobs its 2 easy for people to do a google search on bebo to find more out about them thats why there bebo account should always be set at private.You can put down your present work for a reference if there going to offer you a job most companys will ask your present work place for a refference anyway.
If they ask u to fill in application form they can see how good your handwriting is.
I dont no about anyone here but i have had heap of jobs over the years and my cv is like a phone book its a total nightmare filling out a job application form the boxes are not big enough for me and because when i was younger i was not interested in school so when i have to fill out the education part in the application form i have big blank space your not alone cuddlepop when it comes to filling out job applications

YummyMummy
10-Aug-08, 18:08
A lot of employers ask for a completed application form these days rather than a CV. Some hints and tips you might find useful:

Keep it relevant - resist the urge to write too much! A good tip is to go down the job description & person spec and highlight (with a highlighter pen) all the skills, experience and knowledge they are asking for. Write yourself a list relating to these (one liners) and ensure you include these in the application form, ticking each point as you go [that way you'll cover the things they're asking for].
Be honest - resist the urge to exaggerate or stretch the truth - it'll only lead to problems at interview! Use short examples to evidence/demonstrate your skills - this goes down really well in application forms!
Either do a WORD document or save the completed application form on your PC - you can amend/update this later, without going through the whole tedious process again!
Re references. Your current employer is the one that will be asked for. If you've not been there that long and there's someone else that can support your skills and abilitites, then add them to the form (stating the reasons). This will show initiative and there's every chance, if appointed, the new employer will seek the 2 references.
Finally - good luck. Hope you're successful.

cuddlepop
10-Aug-08, 18:54
A lot of employers ask for a completed application form these days rather than a CV. Some hints and tips you might find useful:

Keep it relevant - resist the urge to write too much! A good tip is to go down the job description & person spec and highlight (with a highlighter pen) all the skills, experience and knowledge they are asking for. Write yourself a list relating to these (one liners) and ensure you include these in the application form, ticking each point as you go [that way you'll cover the things they're asking for].
Be honest - resist the urge to exaggerate or stretch the truth - it'll only lead to problems at interview! Use short examples to evidence/demonstrate your skills - this goes down really well in application forms!
Either do a WORD document or save the completed application form on your PC - you can amend/update this later, without going through the whole tedious process again!
Re references. Your current employer is the one that will be asked for. If you've not been there that long and there's someone else that can support your skills and abilitites, then add them to the form (stating the reasons). This will show initiative and there's every chance, if appointed, the new employer will seek the 2 references.
Finally - good luck. Hope you're successful.

Whats really difficult with this job application is that its technically three jobs rolled into one so your kinda having to mention a heck of a lot as they are different types of jobs.
I hate writting these "why do you want this job" storys.:(

Hospipality
29-Sep-08, 00:23
That's true that far too much information is in a job description but I would rather be able to read a lengthy description about a job than a brief statement that is unclear

Gizmo
29-Sep-08, 00:28
My father has interviewed many people over the years and he always told me to keep things short and sweet in your C.V, an interviewer usually has many people to see and does not want to be reading anything lengthy.

brokencross
29-Sep-08, 07:30
In addition to a well thought out and written application/CV; I was told always try to have a "hook" in your application or CV.

This "hook" being a piece of interesting information which stands out, is snappy or quirky, which will catch the readers eye and want them to know more, and hence get you the interview where you can sell yourself. This "hook" could be job related or in the "Other interests/pastimes" section.

As YummyMummy says be honest especially about this "hook" or else you could get caught out. Gizmo is right as well, don't waffle..keep it to the point.

Good Luck.

Angela
29-Sep-08, 09:53
The best advice I ever got was to keep it short and sweet. Just say enough to get the prospective employer interested and leave them wanting to find out more at an interview.

Decide from the job description what the key areas of experience they are looking for are, and as far as possible stick to mentioning these.

I've been on the other side many times subsequently and I do think that's the wisest course. If you have a lot of applications to sort through, the ones that stand out tend to be those that leave you feeling "Hmmmm, I'd like to find out more about that one'.:)