PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Auctions

funkypumpkin
09-Aug-08, 21:03
Does anyone know if Caithness Auctions have decided on a date and venue for their next auction? It has said on their website for weeks that the next auction will be during the 2nd week of August. In my book that's about now.

funkypumpkin
10-Aug-08, 19:27
Does anyone know yet?

Bobinovich
10-Aug-08, 21:08
I'm sure that when they've arranged a definite date it will appear on their website...

Frey
11-Aug-08, 20:34
Venue is still being confirmed. We have had a few places, postponed and then cancelled but we should have an answer by this week. Thank you for your interest.

sadam
27-Sep-08, 09:48
has anyont got any word on when the next action sale will be, I enjoyed the last one and was hoping there would have been another be now???

Bad Manners
27-Sep-08, 12:31
Just checked their website and it hasnt been updated as it still says the next auction is to be held in August and that is long gone. Their website states the run a proffesional auction. does not seem to proffessional to me if they cant update the website or is this just another one hit wonder that has tried and failed.
Their first auction was poorly attendend and was a complete shambles they have no experience or ability to run an auction it is little surprise we have heard no more about it.

Mr P Cannop
27-Sep-08, 13:13
i spoke to the man who runs it and he said there will be no more auctions due to lack of interest

Bad Manners
27-Sep-08, 16:18
i spoke to the man who runs it and he said there will be no more auctions due to lack of interest
As per my previous post I do not think it is lack of interest it was sown to poor marketing and running of the auction. there is quite a lot of interest as testified by how many people attend other auctions.
In my opinion they failed to understand how an auction works,how to market their event, the chap who actually took the auction was not an auctioneer and from his preformance has never undertaken anything of this nature before.
Before anyone shoots me down in flames I have been attending auctions since a very early and have even taken the rostrum on several occasions so I speak from a position of some experience.
It is my opinion that Caithness still needs another auction house but one that is run on proffesional lines hopefully someone will take on this challenge and bring another outlet to the area

Frey
28-Sep-08, 13:45
I cannot believe that last post! "Bad Manners", you typify why we are not doing another auction.

How could we have marketed it more? we had adverts in the newpaper, on the radio, a feature here on caithness.org, a website, posters around the county and through market calling.

We had never done an auction before and have no experience running one. We are a young couple who gave everything to it. We were up until 3am the night before with our five month old baby in the pram in the hall at the weigh inn! we spent so long organising and setting it all up and to the people who actually bothered to speak to us after said that they enjoyed it. you seem to think you know how it all goes so on you go yourself and run an auction. We had alot of response from everyone here to go for the idea and we did it all and only ha dabout thirty so people attend. It was all for charity and it is just so sad to hear what you say.

As far as we are concerned the auction idea for us is over. We spoke to alot of people and you jst cant please everyone. There were even some complaints of having to pay a £1 charge at the door, with it all going to charity. I couldnt believe it.

We tried it and we made good money for the British Red Cross but it is a thankless task and maybe why there isnt one in the county.

I am so angry with your words "bad manners" and I am more than willing to meet and discuss it with you, face to face rather than behind a screen where everyone is a critic.

Kevin Milkins
28-Sep-08, 14:08
I attended the first auction that was held at the Weigh Inn and enjoyed the experience.

The young couple that set it up had worked extremely hard to make it happen and I for one was disappointed that it was not better attended.

It was well advertised and the marketing, I thought was done in a very professional manner.

There were a few unforeseen errors of judgment regarding the staging of it on that particular day, IE (I think it was fathers day and one or two other things going on) but the format seemed right and with experience gained on the day I was sure this couple could succeed in time giving the right sort of support and encouragement.

I am disappointed that they will not be doing another one, but wish them well for their efforts.

Torvaig
28-Sep-08, 15:09
I endorse everything Kevin has said. The amount of work they put in was tremendous and on the day were so welcoming and friendly. They were also very helpful in uplifting and delivering goods bought and sold and nothing was too much trouble.

I too am sorry that the format did not work for whatever reason (I for one made a lot of money that day!) and I'm also sorry that they did not get enough support to make it viable. I applaud them for trying.......and am sorry that I won't taste the home baking again; it was worth going just for that!

Good luck for the future....:)

Bad Manners
28-Sep-08, 16:18
here is no doubt that the orginisers spent a lot of time regarding this venture however it is my personal opnion that they had completly the wrong location. the wrong time, and a lack of knowledge as to how to auction. If this was a charity auction their website fails to make this clear. We attended this auction and it was clear from the onset they had no clue as to how to hold a auction. at the midway stage they had a break and half of the poor turn out went home. They were donated items to auction for charity which because they could not get the full price for they would not auction and the so called auctioneer commited the cardinal sin he choose to make a below value bid himself for an item and sold it to himself when he would not sell others.
At the check out if you could call it that it was up to the buyer to tell them what they bid for the item as they had no clue as to what it sold for.
I do not have a prolem with someone having a go at doing a charity auction it is when they create a website and claim to do a proffesional job
when they have NO idea what is involved.
Those who think I am being hard its my opinion would you feel the same if they sais they were lawyers but had no clue about the law.
Auctioneering is a profession as is a lawyer doctor etc and as regards to a private face to face meeting Fine however it will not change my mind regarding this matter.

funkypumpkin
28-Sep-08, 17:12
I too went to this auction and to be honest could have fallen asleep half way through, it was begining to get painfully embarassing. I would guess at least a third to a half of the lots did not sell at all. A lot of these items you would have found in a job lot a Quoybrae but here they were being sold seperately.
I have no doubt that the couple put in a lot of time and effort but wonder if they had done research by going to the other auctions around here to see what elements were needed to be included. I know Quoybrae is not every month but there is also an extremely proffesional auction at Dingwall every Friday. There are occasionally charity auctions run in various village halls to raise money for local clubs etc or the Junior Pipe Bands. These are always fun to go to and community spirit shines through.
I too was under the impression that Caithness Auctions was running as a business with just the entry fee going to charity but apparently it is a complete charity auction. I just don't know what happened to the community spirit!

joxville
28-Sep-08, 18:27
Reading this thread makes me think it's the typical British attitude coming out-quick to criticise but slow to praise. If those that are experienced in the auctions marketplace wish to go ahead and show how it should be done then I'm sure they would be congratulated by Frey and partner.

I'm also guilty of being quick to criticise but on this occassion I think the couple should be applauded for their efforts, considering it was all for charity.

buggyracer
28-Sep-08, 18:39
bad manners, you live up to your name :eek:

if your so clued up on the whole selling process, crack on and do it yourself, its easy to criticise, put it into place yourself or shut up!!??

Bad Manners
28-Sep-08, 19:35
bad manners, you live up to your name :eek:

if your so clued up on the whole selling process, crack on and do it yourself, its easy to criticise, put it into place yourself or shut up!!??
I have Put up my opinion and just like everyone else we are all entitled to our own opinion as
regards to the selling I have run several companies and all quite profitable
Frey and company certainly worked hard but were lacking in ability however had they succeded I would have been the first to praise them because I give praise where it i due.

sadam
28-Sep-08, 21:15
well said Kevin and Torvaig I think the couple did a excellent job with what they had, and they went to collected stuff for the sale. True the typical British attitude coming out-quick to criticise but slow to praise. I think the couple would welcome real input of suggestions not down right criticise what they did. I hope they continue and if they need help I would hope they could find it here.

sweetpea
28-Sep-08, 23:18
It's like Joxville says - down to attitude.