PDA

View Full Version : What nationality are you ?

accossie
09-Aug-08, 11:12
The Olympic Games have started and the BBC has turned British again as opposed to being a branch of the London Broadcasting Company

I feel a complete lack of nationalistic fervour especially when they go on about the games in London in 4 years time. I can't but help wonder what benefit Caithness will get out of it. It will be as much use to us as the Millenium Dome and will cost us even more

Scotland is a nation and we should be able to send our own team to the Olympics. I might then feel some urge to watch the games on TV.

Does anybody else feel so unpatriotic at being British ??

justine
09-Aug-08, 11:49
Nope>>>.....

hotrod4
09-Aug-08, 11:54
I am very patriotic and class myself as Brit/scot on all forms.
I know alot of people just put Scottish nut I have always been Brit/Scot as my grandparent came from England and Ulster so I feel more "British".
But saying that on the last census for religion I put down Jedi!! :)

teenybash
09-Aug-08, 11:59
During the Olympics I am British.................the rest of the time I am Scots but, in my heart I am Irish.....................:Razz

arana negra
09-Aug-08, 12:00
nope I am Scottish then British ( if I have to be) then european.

helenwyler
09-Aug-08, 12:06
Scottish nut :)

LOL Hotrod! :lol:

Invader
09-Aug-08, 12:17
100% Scottish born & bred.....

On official forms I put UK for nationality, as most Visa applications, security checks etc. do not accept Scottish.

When abroad, and asked where I come from, my reply is always Scotland, as I am proud of the fact, and it breaks more ice, and is respected in many more countries than "British"

I don't bang on about how a well performing sportsman, or football fans are British, but bad ones are Scottish, because I don't really care if the rest of the country wants to associate with our successes, and distance themselves from the failures. That's human nature.

You only have to watch the Tartan Army in any country in the world, to see how much everyone else loves them compared to our neighbours.
Tell someone in the US that you are Scottish, and immediately the person you're talking to has Scottish ancestry, or Irish which "Is the same thing really" <Rising inflection>

British people in the US are perceived as upper class bumbling halfwits (Thanks Hugh Grant) with bad teeth, in the same way, that Brits regard all Americans as fat and stupid....

A saying I heard last time I was in the US, and got taken out for a barbeque 120 miles from where we were staying even though they had an extravigant barbie in the back yard was:

"Brits think that 200 miles is a long way, Yanks think that 200 years is a long time"
Very true!

Can you imagine driving from Wick to Inverness or Aviemore for the afternoon, just to burn some perfectly good food???

lynne duncan
09-Aug-08, 12:35
wicker caithnessian scottish british
in that order
in all the places abroad that we have been (not that many really) we've always found a wicker

Invader
09-Aug-08, 12:48
Lynne, that is so true, the amount of times I have been away on holiday or working, from South Africa to the Far and Middle East, and the US, and somebody has come up to me and said "long way from home Mr. Invader (not my real name!!!)

joxville
09-Aug-08, 12:56
Irish and English ancestry and Scottish to the core but unfortunately saddled with an English surname. However recently whilst on holiday the sandwich lady who comes to my work asked where the Welsh guy is! She got some stick when I returned.:D

scotsboy
09-Aug-08, 13:03
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4620/scottishbritishandproudao8.th.png

Invader
09-Aug-08, 13:06
There are only two types of people in this world.
Scots, and those who wish they were!

Sapphire2803
09-Aug-08, 13:10
That's an irish saying, you... ummm.... saying thief! lol

percy toboggan
09-Aug-08, 13:32
English beyond doubt...but as the latest in a very long line of sons of this island I feel every bit as Welsh and Scottish as I feel English....which should make me British. I'm afraid the term British has been diluted though by the various suffixes we seem to have now the World wants claim some kind of belonging. Governmental mistakes have not helped in this regard.

It's folly to be 'proud' of ones nationality, because it's purely accidental of course.However, the familiarity it brings, and most of us are happiest around what, and who we know is of towering importance to me. My nationality helps to make me who I am...the innate self-confidence, the belief that I'm fortunate to have been born here...and the right to moan a lot about things when they go wrong. In Britain, they seldom go right!

Rheghead
09-Aug-08, 13:40
My nationality changes like the wind. Just lately I've been thinking of myself as Earthen. Just a minute part of a collective conciousness that sends out a unifying voice into the lonely reaches of the Universe.

Sapphire2803
09-Aug-08, 13:42
My nationality changes like the wind. Just lately I've been thinking of myself as Earthen. Just a minute part of a collective conciousness that sends out a unifying voice into the lonely reaches of the Universe.

I'll have a large one of whatever he's drinking please landlord! :lol:

Rheghead
09-Aug-08, 13:55
I'll have a large one of whatever he's drinking please landlord! :lol:

I have every right to think that I am Earthen instead of thinking I am a product of an arbitrary line around a chunk of land. When life started on Earth all those thousands of millions of years ago, no thought was given to the boundaries of nationhood. We are all the bairn's of the sludgy soup that gave us life. And countries have only lasted for the last ~1000 years and I doubt they will last another. To put this into perspective that life has existed on Earth for the last 3000 million years then I hope that I am on good reasoning.:D;)

joxville
09-Aug-08, 14:05
And countries have only lasted for the last ~1000 years and I doubt they will last another.

Was it on a Tuesday after luchtime that they came into being? I recall something from a previous life that sounded familiar in your post.[lol]

Sapphire2803
09-Aug-08, 14:06
Yes,I totally agree, the only problem I have with it is that "Earthen" sounds like a pot and that would lead to you being called potty (possibly).
You find a better name for it and I'll sign up. :lol:

Rheghead
09-Aug-08, 14:07
I think Startrekkers call us Terrans.:lol:

Invader
09-Aug-08, 14:19
"That's an irish saying, you... ummm.... saying thief! lol"

No it's not, but I can't find any proof! (And if you're that pedantic, Irish has a capital I)

How about this one then:

"There are only 10 types of people who understand Binary"
Those who do, and those who don't!

Sapphire2803
09-Aug-08, 14:23
Me? Pedantic? Never! lol

As for the second saying, that's one of my faves. It goes with my desire for a T-shirt which has the slogan:

"Obey me! I am root!"

Sapphire2803
09-Aug-08, 14:26
Hah! Just reread that!

It's:

There are only 10 types of people. Those who undestand binary and those who don't!

Pedants of the world unite!!!

domino
09-Aug-08, 14:36
A Caithnessian Scot..

Invader
09-Aug-08, 14:56
Sapphire,

Pedants spell understand with an R....

Nope, sorry, with an r

I also defer to your geekness, what does "obey me I am root" mean?

You should see the teeshirts that the IT freaks (pale, never been out of their bedroom since puberty) wear.... CD:\pub\download\beer
And some others that I have no idea what they mean, as I don't speak code.

L33T speak, on the other hand, I had to learn to comminucate with my teenager!

balto
09-Aug-08, 15:04
I am scottish always have been and always will be, high time we got to send our own team to the olympics.

Sapphire2803
09-Aug-08, 15:06
Sapphire,

Pedants spell understand with an R....

Nope, sorry, with an r

I also defer to your geekness, what does "obey me I am root" mean?

You should see the teeshirts that the IT freaks (pale, never been out of their bedroom since puberty) wear.... CD:\pub\download\beer

L33T speak, on the other hand, I had to learn to comminucate with my teenager!

Yes they do. Dammit, you caught me out! I am a wannabe pedant! A fraud! I hang my head in shame :(

The root thing is a linux joke (almost a joke anyway) root is to linux as administrator is to windows.

I'll go now, I see a mob marching up the road with pitchforks and flaming torches! News of a sham pedant travels fast around here! :lol:

joxville
09-Aug-08, 15:09
Yes they do. Dammit, you caught me out! I am a wannabe pedant! A fraud! I hang my head in shame :(

The root thing is a linux joke (almost a joke anyway) root is to linux as administrator is to windows.

I'll go now, I see a mob marching up the road with pitchforks and flaming torches! News of a sham pedant travels fast around here! :lol:

Flaming torches eh? You mean to tell us it's actually stopped raining/blowing a gale in Caithness for 20 minutes![lol]

Sapphire2803
09-Aug-08, 15:10
Not today it hasn't, they have asbestos brollies!

Julia
09-Aug-08, 15:43
Scottish :)

hotrod4
09-Aug-08, 17:20

Nothing wrong with being a linux "nutter", I too have found the dark side that is Ubuntu and must say that it "rocks" in a non Bill Gates stylee ;)

Sandra_B
09-Aug-08, 17:25
Scottish, born and bred.

Gizmo
09-Aug-08, 18:06
I am proud to be Scottish and not proud to be British

northener
09-Aug-08, 18:47
I am English and proud of it. I am British and proud of it.

Welcomefamily
09-Aug-08, 19:11
Dumnonii............:lol:

JimH
09-Aug-08, 22:42
I'm a Scouse, and I think we should send our own team, but I'm not sure which country would own us!!

percy toboggan
10-Aug-08, 10:27
I am English, and was glad about it, rather than proud for a long, long time.
I'd not puff out my chest and march behind a flag, more settle back contentedly in the knowledge that when I was born here it was a country of definable character, which stood on its own two feet just twelve years earlier in defiance against an enemy more powerful than the world had ever known and didn't shrink into subservience.I was glad, rather than proud...for I had played no part in the resistance, perhaps if I had I may have felt differently, then and now.

Would I have stormed those beaches at Normandy like my Father's generation? Probably...more in fear than with any sense of 'pride'.

If I had a choice in the matter now, and was about to emerge blinking from my mothers womb once more then frankly , I'd rather be born somewhere else.

Thumper
10-Aug-08, 10:55
I am Scottish,a proud Caithnessian and totally fed up with the way the "media" call Scots British if they have done something good but Scottish if they have done something bad!talk about double standards!:rolleyes:x

YummyMummy
10-Aug-08, 12:08
When asked, I say "Scottish". On forms I write "UK Euro".

Kevin Milkins
10-Aug-08, 13:04
I think of myself as British as I have lived in many parts of the UK, Wick at the moment.
I thought now would be great time time though to post my 1000th post on the Org.
As this post started with the olympics in mind ,its a great big well done to Nicole Cooke for bringing home the first gold medal for the UK in the 125km road race.
Did I mention ,like myself she is from South Wales.;)

teenybash
10-Aug-08, 13:14
I think of myself as British as I have lived in many parts of the UK, Wick at the moment.
I thought now would be great time time though to post my 1000th post on the Org.
As this post started with the olympics in mind ,its a great big well done to Nicole Cooke for bringing home the first gold medal for the UK in the 125km road race.
Did I mention ,like myself she is from South Wales.;)

Congratulations on your thousandth post and on you countywomans gold medal.....well done Wales.:cool:

percy toboggan
10-Aug-08, 17:38
The look on Cooke's face did a lot to banish my Olympical cynicism to be honest.
She looked just champion...and she is. Welsh...proud or glad....she's a winner and her delighted countenance was a joy to behold.

Sporran
10-Aug-08, 18:08
I'm a Scottish Brit. I'm proud to be Scottish, and I'm proud to be British! :D

Rheghead
10-Aug-08, 19:37
I'm proud to be Svengalish.

mccaugm
10-Aug-08, 19:43
nope I am Scottish then British ( if I have to be) then european.

The same here....although I guess I should be more European, my maternal grandparents were from Poland and Germany, which means I do have a sort of European look about me.

Sapphire2803
10-Aug-08, 20:18
I'm proud to be Svengalish.

Hang on... You were Terran/Earthen yesterday. You evil manipulating apostate ;):lol:

hotrod4
11-Aug-08, 07:59
Hang on... You were Terran/Earthen yesterday. You evil manipulating apostate ;):lol:

nuqDaq 'oh puchpa ' 'e' ;)

SNOWDOG
11-Aug-08, 12:57
Im Scottish and thats it! Oops, i'll probably get a flea in my ear now! :roll:

Fesman
11-Aug-08, 12:59
I describe my ethnic background in one of four ways.

On official forms I'm an NZ-European

On the electoral roll I'm registered as a Pakeha

Internationally, I'm known as a New Zealander

I prefer to be called a Kiwi

I'm proud of all four titles and count myself damned lucky to be born in New Zealand.

I don't suffer the angst of trying to determine which identity I should assume.

Looking in, from the outside, I regard The English, The Welsh and The Scots as all being citizens of the UK.

I don't understand the problems that some of you seem to have with that identity, unless it's politically motivated.

This thread is about an International sporting event (a big one), that has nothing to do with politics or civil problems.

Just be proud of the fact that you are a citizen of one of the Greatest Nations, in the world. :)

Sapphire2803
11-Aug-08, 13:14
nuqDaq 'oh puchpa ' 'e' ;)

Straight through the living room into the hallway, first door on the left. Look out for the mutant spider.

Fesman
11-Aug-08, 13:30
Straight through the living room into the hallway, first door on the left. Look out for the mutant spider.

yIDoghQo'

lojmIt yIpoSmoH!

Sapphire2803
11-Aug-08, 13:36
nuqjatlh?

:lol:

Fesman
11-Aug-08, 13:51
nuqjatlh?

:lol:

nuqjatlh... That's a Klingon frigate starship, but the word also translates as "What did you say?"

I said: "Don't be silly... Open the door" :)

Sapphire2803
11-Aug-08, 14:08
jIyaj.... but, surely any self respecting klingon warrior opens doors for himself?

Fesman
11-Aug-08, 14:13
jIyaj.... but, surely any self respecting klingon warrior opens doors for himself?

Not if there is a respectful Klingon wench to do the task :P

Sapphire2803
11-Aug-08, 14:22
:eek: What's pffffft in klingon? :lol:

Fesman
11-Aug-08, 14:30
:eek: What's pffffft in klingon? :lol:

"pffffft" :Razz

hotrod4
11-Aug-08, 17:56
Some people may say we talk crap on the org well we've just proved we dont!!!
Be proud of your klingon roots!

aakhoiarriaeennyrh uaefvalhuneitrde'h'n oiiuhw'udssyrh innaehv ie
(that aint klingon by the way its Romulan) ;)

joxville
11-Aug-08, 18:07
Re-arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying:

LIFE GET YOU A TO ALL NEED[lol]

Sapphire2803
11-Aug-08, 19:01
Re-arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying:

LIFE GET YOU A TO ALL NEED[lol]

http://www.animationplayhouse.com/rasp1.gif

joxville
11-Aug-08, 19:29
http://www.animationplayhouse.com/rasp1.gif

Lol...........

oldmarine
12-Aug-08, 04:02
German ancestry by way of both parents. Have been in many places throughout the world in military and engineering positions during many years. That includes Scotland and England. Otherwise have spent most of my life in the USA.

Tilter
12-Aug-08, 23:32
I can't but help wonder what benefit Caithness will get out of [2012 Olympics].
I can't help but wonder what benefit the rest of the UK will get out of it.

What nationality am I? Dunno. Does that mean what's on my passport? If so, Brit. However:
Home = Caithness
Nationality(?) = mongrel
Race = Human
Originate from = possibly Pluto

joxville
12-Aug-08, 23:47
Originate from = possibly Pluto

Hi cousin.

pulteney person
13-Aug-08, 21:31
On forms I always write Scottish UK because Scottish isn't always accepted but I never write British because I know I am Scottish and don't need anyone dictating to me what my nationality is.
It's all very well saying that Britain is one country and a GB team is at the Olympics - that's fine but at different sporting events GB get to send 4 teams, Scotland, England, Wales and N Ireland. Also, if Britain is one country, why do we have different laws and education systems? No wonder people get confused and that's before we mention politics and parliaments.
By the way my sons are half English but only consider themselves to be Scottish. Also, I spend a lot of time in England, lovely country. :lol:

Tilter
13-Aug-08, 23:44
Hi cousin.

Hi Cuz yourself. We Plutoniums rock and are mad, bad and dangerous to know and make bad puns.

Lumberjack
16-Aug-08, 21:21
"Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves! Britons never, never, never shall be slaves! You know, when you hear that you can feel your fists clenching and the hairs stand up on the back of your neck and you just want to bash someone. Because we're British and anybody that tries to invade our country we'll knock them oot, that's it, we'll knock them oot.Well, I'm a Geordie anyway, but I'm still British.
Champion."

So said Victor the Geordie mouse from the Creature Comforts animations, and I think he has a point.

Champion.

northener
17-Aug-08, 15:12
"Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves! Britons never, never, never shall be slaves! You know, when you hear that you can feel your fists clenching and the hairs stand up on the back of your neck and you just want to bash someone. Because we're British and anybody that tries to invade our country we'll knock them oot, that's it, we'll knock them oot.Well, I'm a Geordie anyway, but I'm still British.
Champion."

So said Victor the Geordie mouse from the Creature Comforts animations, and I think he has a point.

Champion.

Why Aye! Yer divven' wanna argyer wi a mad moosie! Y' knaa!

Bobinovich
17-Aug-08, 17:43

Hey! Leave my "Insufficient Memory" and "There's no place like 127.0.0.1" t-shirts alone!

...and yes I can convert binary :Razz

rambo1978
17-Aug-08, 18:28
Scottish not British.

joxville
17-Aug-08, 18:52
Scottish not British.

All those years I thought Rambo was American. :D