PDA

View Full Version : Names for hoilday visitors to your area.

arana negra
09-Aug-08, 08:56
I was talking to a friend down Poole Dorset way, who was talking about the 'crockles' choking up the roads and making her journey to work much longer.

I got to wonderin how many names there are aroound for holiday makers ?

What are the called in your area ?

Gizmo
09-Aug-08, 10:12
I was talking to a friend down Poole Dorset way, who was talking about the 'crockles' choking up the roads and making her journey to work much longer.

I got to wonderin how many names there are aroound for holiday makers ?

What are the called in your area ?

Bloody Foreigners! :D

arana negra
09-Aug-08, 10:20
Bloody Foreigners! :D

excellent reply :lol: am I now one of those when I return to bonnie Scotland ?

Kenn
09-Aug-08, 10:55
I was born and brought up in Cornwall we use the following.
GROCKLES for the old fashioned sea side tourist.
EMMET for incomers who stay.
We also use few other expressions BLIDDY FURRINERS AND SAWSENAKS being the only two I can put on here!

Kevin Milkins
09-Aug-08, 11:32
My son that lives in Exeter,I have him use the word Ants .
Not sure if thats just him or a Devon saying.:roll:

Rheghead
09-Aug-08, 11:34
Rubberneckers or touroids in Cumbria.

teenybash
09-Aug-08, 11:44
Tourists............:confused :roll:

justine
09-Aug-08, 11:52
Holiday makers
hitchikers
travellers
the list goes on..................................:roll::confuse d

Invader
09-Aug-08, 12:30
How about "Welcome, visitors to the area"
Would you like to buy a Tartan drummer girl in a plastic tube??

neepnipper
09-Aug-08, 14:49
I believe the phrase 'grockles' is an old west country term for piles (haemorrhoids) and tourists are referred to as 'grockles' as they hang around in groups and are a pain in the bottom (wanted to put something else but thought it would probably be removed!!).

joxville
09-Aug-08, 15:17
I've been on the phone to my Hampshire-born brother-in-law who has used this word many times and he agrees with previous posters that it is a local term for tourists, however he also said some people with large boats use it in a derogatory sense to describe small boats.

northener
09-Aug-08, 18:30
I've been on the phone to my Hampshire-born brother-in-law who has used this word many times and he agrees with previous posters that it is a local term for tourists, however he also said some people with large boats use it in a derogatory sense to describe small boats.

In a similar vein, the RN call owners and crew of large yachts/gin palaces 'Yachties', it's a description often given to any civvy recreational sailor. But the RN sneeringly used it to describe the arrogant and stuck-up loudmouth types in the yachting world only, so it's rather a derogatory name.

On the inland waterways, narrowboat owners refer to tourists who watch them lock up and down as 'Gongoozlers'.

hotrod4
09-Aug-08, 18:46
Tourists=Shed pullers! or in the case of some tourist places that overcharge-suckers!!!

Tilter
10-Aug-08, 19:31
Don't know if it's still the case, but all hire cars in Jersey have an "H" in front of the registration no. Jerseyaises refer to them as Horror Cars. I'd never hire a car there (busses are quite good fortunately.)