PDA

View Full Version : Where's the new shops?

Fran
09-Aug-08, 01:51
What happened to the proposed new shops to be built by Tesco in wick? The work was to have started in spring 2008, but nothing is happening. does anyone know?

teenybash
09-Aug-08, 11:43
Been wondering that too............................anyone know?

Kevin Milkins
09-Aug-08, 12:02
I would guess with the present economic crisis any development would be on the back burner for the time being.

rfr10
09-Aug-08, 18:00
Oh goodness knows. Haven't heard anything about it since the start of the year.

hotrod4
09-Aug-08, 18:48
What happened to the proposed new shops to be built by Tesco in wick? The work was to have started in spring 2008, but nothing is happening. does anyone know?

Maybe it has fallen into the black hole of pie in the sky ideas!.
Wheres the Marina in Wick with large hotel? been eagerly waiting for that one as I thought thats why they made the pier wider for docking boats.
Theres loads that I am sure other orgers can mention.

Margaret M.
09-Aug-08, 19:03

Everything came to a screeching halt when BIG A stopped posting here.

scorrie
09-Aug-08, 20:14

The already fragile bubble went POP!!

People who don't spend all their time shopping, eventually became aware of the term "Credit Crunch". At first, this was assumed, by some, to be a new, Credit Card shaped, Potato snack. Then the realisation set in that prices were increasing, Mortgage Payments were getting higher and their Homes were worth less than they were last year.

Time to realise that there is more to life than shopping. We won't die for the lack of a Starbucks in Wick. Who wants another Chavmart anyway?

rfr10
09-Aug-08, 20:18
The already fragile bubble went POP!!

People who don't spend all their time shopping, eventually became aware of the term "Credit Crunch". At first, this was assumed, by some, to be a new, Credit Card shaped, Potato snack. Then the realisation set in that prices were increasing, Mortgage Payments were getting higher and their Homes were worth less than they were last year.

Time to realise that there is more to life than shopping. We won't die for the lack of a Starbucks in Wick. Who wants another Chavmart anyway?

Well it attracts more people to Wick though which is a good thing isn't it?

Who said it would be Starbucks anyway. Isn't it only non- food units?

scorrie
10-Aug-08, 00:16
Well it attracts more people to Wick though which is a good thing isn't it?

Who said it would be Starbucks anyway. Isn't it only non- food units?

Oh aye, Wick's fair hoachin so it is. People coming to the toon for a supermarket that is everywhere else in the universe already.

Starbucks is a tongue in cheek reference for wanabee toons with illusions of grandeur. We are WICK, not Inverness or any other city. The day that a population of a few thousand can expect the range of shops that exists in places of several hundred thousand, or millions, is not going to arrive.

Get a hold on reality please.

teenybash
10-Aug-08, 00:24
Oh aye, Wick's fair hoachin so it is. People coming to the toon for a supermarket that is everywhere else in the universe already.

Starbucks is a tongue in cheek reference for wanabee toons with illusions of grandeur. We are WICK, not Inverness or any other city. The day that a population of a few thousand can expect the range of shops that exists in places of several hundred thousand, or millions, is not going to arrive.

Get a hold on reality please.

Who would want masses of city like shops..... but, a few more retail outlets, suitable in size for the population would be nice...:Razz

bagpuss
10-Aug-08, 00:35
The new shopping mall is planned by Scapa Properties- who had planned to build it there for Homebase and Argos. However a rival developer beat them to it in the south road.

I think any more big firms coming in would have to know there would be takers from the chain stores for the new slots: remember there were also plans to turn the space in Market Square occupied by local government offices into a shopping mall too. Keep in mind that a main street full of takeaways, bookies and charity shops doesn't exactly scream prosperity. There are loads of unsold properties in Wick- which may also be putting the big guns off too.

On a brighter note a few of the smaller Wick businesses are trying to regenerate themselves- have a look at what Fairways and Sam have planned for a start in High Street, and hats off too to the kilt man and wedding gown lady. Maybe it may just be down to the little people this time

scorrie
10-Aug-08, 00:46
remember there were also plans to turn the space in Market Square occupied by local government offices into a shopping mall too.

I think you will find that the Council are staying put in the Market Square. That was certainly the last I heard.

dirdyweeker
10-Aug-08, 18:55
On a brighter note a few of the smaller Wick businesses are trying to regenerate themselves- have a look at what Fairways and Sam have planned for a start in High Street, and hats off too to the kilt man and wedding gown lady. Maybe it may just be down to the little people this time

Sorry, I must have missed that weeks Groat. What have Fairways and Sam planned for High Street?
Last I heard, Fairways was for sale.

bagpuss
10-Aug-08, 20:36
Fairways failed to attract a buyer and the front bit of the shop has been leased to a new venture which will sell childrens' furniture etc. Fairways have had a clearance sale (I was in when I was up visiting family- and they've got all Ernie's back stock going at really low prices) and have started a smaller business at the back of the shop called Linen. It's got some really cool stuff. They're about to do a refurb before the new business moves in.

Still its an ill wind......

dirdyweeker
10-Aug-08, 22:07
That's great! It means we will not have (another) empty shop. Do I take it that the part of the shop called "Linen" will be selling Linen?
Childrens furniture will also be a new and useful shop for Wick. Good luck to all involved.

Thanks for the info Bagpuss.

Fran
11-Aug-08, 01:22
Am I right in thinking that Sam is turning Fairways into a pram shop?

Loafer
13-Aug-08, 18:26
If anyone reads the old stories (20,25 years ago etc) in the Groat and Courier you will find that were stories back then about new shops, oil depot's, etc so the rumour mill is nothing new. I you haven't, you should. It is like Groundhog Day!!

The Loafer

Metalattakk
13-Aug-08, 18:45

You'd have heard everything if you'd been listening to your new DAB radio broadcasts direct from the mast at Rumster. ;)

dirdyweeker
13-Aug-08, 23:22
You'd have heard everything if you'd been listening to your new DAB radio broadcasts direct from the mast at Rumster. ;)

if you are listening to dab radio then you are lucky. Tried again tonight but no joy in Wick.....or is it just me?

sweetpea
13-Aug-08, 23:34
Labour Market Information eh? I'd rather see new lifestyles than shops...;)

Metalattakk
14-Aug-08, 00:34
if you are listening to dab radio then you are lucky. Tried again tonight but no joy in Wick.....or is it just me?

No, it's not you. My comment was sarcastic.

You know, half the rumours on here are plain lies, the other half are no' even true. ;)

gollach
14-Aug-08, 00:34

I've been trying in Thurso without success. Was it all a wind-up?

Metalattakk
14-Aug-08, 00:53
Ehh.....yup. :(

dirdyweeker
14-Aug-08, 01:42
so the definite 1st hand info was all a figment of someones imagination? Here's me waiting patiently for a crystal clear radio reception. The number of times I have checked since that was posted:mad:

One thing re the shops....Sam is definitely taking over part of Fairways and Fairways are reducing their stock but continuing to sell Linen, that was straight from the horses mouth. (mind you so was dab , meant to be)

Sapphire2803
14-Aug-08, 01:48
Ooh! Wind up DAB radios now? :D

Metalattakk
14-Aug-08, 03:19
so the definite 1st hand info was all a figment of someones imagination? Here's me waiting patiently for a crystal clear radio reception. The number of times I have checked since that was posted:mad:

Direct your ire at dessie. Hope they're having a laugh at everyone trying to get DAB reception, because if they're not having a laugh it just makes them an especially sad individual.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=53558

Sapphire2803
14-Aug-08, 13:12
Aww give poor Dessie a break, I think you'll find the wind up merchants were the guys he spoke to.

hotrod4
14-Aug-08, 13:27
Just came into this thread,thought it was about shops? why all the talk about radio?.
I am confused!!

Sapphire2803
14-Aug-08, 13:31
Blame Metalattack :lol:

It's just a reference to the the rumours that never come to anything.

sweetpea
14-Aug-08, 22:32
I don't think shops are the way to go up here or anywhere.If folk have money to burn they will travel. Given the choice of staying in Wick all day Staurday with loads of shops but not much else and going to Inverness where it has shops, cafe culture, atmosphere, theatre, live music and lots to do I know where I would rather spend my hard earner cash.

Kevin Milkins
14-Aug-08, 23:03
I don't think shops are the way to go up here or anywhere.If folk have money to burn they will travel. Given the choice of staying in Wick all day Staurday with loads of shops but not much else and going to Inverness where it has shops, cafe culture, atmosphere, theatre, live music and lots to do I know where I would rather spend my hard earner cash.

I agree with you 100% sweetpea, I would stay in Wick as well.;)