PDA

View Full Version : More than 1 identity on the ORG

dozy
07-Aug-08, 21:28
How come we have some folk on the site with more faces than the Town's clock.
When they are selling items under so many names i wonder what they are trying to hide or whom are they hiding from might be a better question.
Surely this should be better policed to protect us from those who are out to deceive...

Cattach
07-Aug-08, 21:43
When they are selling items under so many names i wonder what they are trying to hide or whom are they hiding from might be a better question.
Surely this should be better policed to protect us from those who are out to deceive...

Who are they? Let's have some names. Not real names but usernames so we will know who we are dealing with that have more than one identity.
Moderator - is the posting about multiple names correct?

justine
07-Aug-08, 21:52
Have you ever thought that it might be a simple case of more than one account holder.
Eg, i am me and my hubby has his own account.He sells, she sells,but it could be construde that it was one account as we both use the same ip address..:)

chamb
07-Aug-08, 21:53
Does it matter??

BRIE
07-Aug-08, 21:54
thought we werent allowed multiple identities!! & we had to declare to the mods whos username was whos in the household. there used to be a thread that stated who had more than one identity in a household so everyone would know, what happened to that???

justine
07-Aug-08, 21:54
obviously to some.

Kathy@watten
07-Aug-08, 21:55
Goodness me , could you be bothered? My hubby said my screen name was too blatent and it was too idendifiable...but I have nothing to hide and am happy for folk to know who I am..well more or less....and the fact I couldn't be bothered going through the whole setting up process again to change it to something more anon! Didn't think you would be allowed to have more than one name but suppose it's like chat rooms and you could be sad and talk to yourself!

the_count
07-Aug-08, 21:57
Damn i must be sad Kathy lol, i been there done that and even got some sensible answers out of meself lol :lol:

changilass
07-Aug-08, 22:17
You could always report the sock puppet accounts so admin can see if there are genuine reasons for them or if they need to be delt with.

DeHaviLand
07-Aug-08, 22:20
I know of someone with at least 3 identities. Problem is, he's not so bright and sometimes posts in the style of his alter ego, then posts with another identity and says how correct he is. Laughable, but sad.

arana negra
07-Aug-08, 22:21
My husband was on a site and I decided to join it also, never thinking there would be a problem I got about a day then 'the you are banned from this forum and the ban will never be lifted' message when logging in THEN within minutes my husband was also banned. At the time we had no idea why and no replies from the admin of the site askng for explanation.

A few months later, on a different site somebody recognised my OH and said where did you go ? why did you leave the other site ... they got it sorted for us and the reason was same ISP so ASSUMED dual ID member !

Now I have a problem with this logic as how can I tell what sites say my sons may be on or my husband for that matter and I join one ... same ISP but two people OR what about Internet cafes ?

I know sites have problems with members having two active accounts, one they use properly and the other they use to be nasty, cause trouble and the like.

The answer seems to be to ask everybody in the house are you on so and so and if so I better tell them I am also joining from same ISP :roll:

Some folks on one site I use have an active account ie paid for and an unpaid one as site has no 'hide' facility so if you want to just browse and not chat you can.

Tristan
07-Aug-08, 22:48
There was/is a big issue with sock puppets but individuals in a house are allowed accounts.
The original question was why these people are selling the same item - that does seem a bit dodgy.

Kevin Milkins
07-Aug-08, 23:04
I suppose it would usefull for somone that wanted to bump an item to the top of a for sale list. If I had 3 names ,Fred ,John ,and Steve. I place the advert under Fred and then Steve asks "how much are are you wanting" when the advert drops down the pecking order and then John asks "were are you staying" and that bumps it back to the top and makes it look like he has some interest in what he is selling.
This is good detective work from someone who is dull enough to register under his own name:confused:lol:

unicorn
07-Aug-08, 23:07
In a small area maybe people feel safer using a different sales name so people do not know them from their normal username?

dirdyweeker
07-Aug-08, 23:12
Not that I do this, but I remember that you used to be able to sell goods under a different name if wished to protect your identity as an Orger. Not sure if this policy still applies.

Moira
07-Aug-08, 23:42

If you have a concern about any of the posts here you can use the http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/report.php?p=416506) button to report them.

Welcomefamily
08-Aug-08, 08:13
Often if there more than one user in the house they generally have different e-mails, but its the one's with more than 1 identity who dont realise it we should be concerned about.
I was once in two minds as to talk on Schizophrenia or Mental Illness.

Thumper
08-Aug-08, 11:03
When i joined the org,it was very hard to get an account because my son had already joined using the email address so i had to wait until I had another email address to use(as we all know you cant use hotmail etc) I am sure there are a few people who do have several user names,why they would want to is beyond me but really not my business anyway,unless its to cause upset in some way without "falling foul of the points system" x

cat
09-Aug-08, 07:58
no point hiding your identity if selling as you will meet the person when they come to get what you're selling surely?
its the buyers i think are worse!talk about stupid questions!and wanting photos of stupid things that you are selling for next to nothing anyway and wanting something for free!!or just being plain nosey:roll:

hotrod4
09-Aug-08, 12:00
Where are our trusted mods to answer this question?After all this question has been up for 2 days now.
I suppose if I typed in a sweary word then they would come ;)
There a bit like the police there never around when you need them!!!!
using different identities(not that I do) could be quite easy. I have more than 1 IP as I have my "british" one and I also have an IP in Los Angeles,1 in Holland and 1 in czech republic!! Never tried to use multiples but if I have different IP address; I take It I could?.
There nowt wrong with multiple users if their all different people in the same house, It wouldnt be fair if Mr Smith cant post because Mrs Smith is a user.

Kevin Milkins
09-Aug-08, 12:12
I thought Moira (the wonky orger ) was a mod, and answeared the question.:confused

Geo
09-Aug-08, 12:19
He sells, she sells

On the she shore? ;)

hotrod4
09-Aug-08, 17:30
sweary word!!!! ;)

TBH
09-Aug-08, 17:36
Where are our trusted mods to answer this question?After all this question has been up for 2 days now.
I suppose if I typed in a sweary word then they would come ;)
There a bit like the police there never around when you need them!!!!
using different identities(not that I do) could be quite easy. I have more than 1 IP as I have my "british" one and I also have an IP in Los Angeles,1 in Holland and 1 in czech republic!! Never tried to use multiples but if I have different IP address; I take It I could?.
There nowt wrong with multiple users if their all different people in the same house, It wouldnt be fair if Mr Smith cant post because Mrs Smith is a user.Proxies, as far as I am aware, wont work on this type of forum.

hotrod4
09-Aug-08, 18:49
Proxies, as far as I am aware, wont work on this type of forum.

Ive posted on here with my LA ip address and had no problems :)

TBH
09-Aug-08, 18:52
Ive posted on here with my LA ip address and had no problems :)you are already registered though the same as you could go to someone elses house and use their pc to log into your account. I doubt you could register under another username using a proxy IP address.