PDA

View Full Version : Archeological find of the century..perhaps?

teenybash
07-Aug-08, 14:21
Khaki shorts and spy glasses at the ready...lend me your knoweledge on archeology.
This surfaced in the ground around my cottage about 14 years ago.....
what do you think it is? I think it might be part of a mill, maybe that was kept in the house for grinding a small amout of oats, corn but, I really don't know. Or could it be a cupping stone sometimes used in rituals of the day. It is small but very heavy and measures roughly 8 inch x 6 inch...

Kevin Milkins
07-Aug-08, 15:07
The wheel was invented somewere, so why not Caithness.?lol

Kathy@watten
07-Aug-08, 16:14
Looks like a mill stone, we find them from time to time on the farm, they are unfortunately quite common! don't think Indiana Jones is going to pop round quite yet for it! they look lovely in the garden tho.....

teenybash
07-Aug-08, 16:22
Looks like a mill stone, we find them from time to time on the farm, they are unfortunately quite common! don't think Indiana Jones is going to pop round quite yet for it! they look lovely in the garden tho.....

No I didn't think it was quite Indiana Jones material..........what I am thinking is that there should be a flat stone for the top that would have been turned to grind the meal. I am also wondering when mills like these would have been in use................. If I had these answers it maybe would solve the mystery of a row of stones in the garden that may well be the remnants of a much older dwelling. :D

Aaldtimer
07-Aug-08, 16:41
Teeny what you are probably thinking of is a "quern". Google that and you'll get a link to wikipaedia to find out all about them.:)

teenybash
07-Aug-08, 19:15
Teeny what you are probably thinking of is a "quern". Google that and you'll get a link to wikipaedia to find out all about them.:)
Googled and discovered all about my 'quern' and how in Caithness men were sent with axes to smash them, forcing locals to use the area mills.

Pleased I have one...part of history..................Thankyou Aaldtimer.....:Razz

Rheghead
07-Aug-08, 19:24
OK teeny, get a breadmaker , some wheat and make a loaf from scratch.:) I'd like to do it myself actually.

domino
07-Aug-08, 20:03
A wee piece of history well worth keeping

teenybash
07-Aug-08, 21:16
OK teeny, get a breadmaker , some wheat and make a loaf from scratch.:) I'd like to do it myself actually.

Got the breadmaker, just got to wait for a good harvest................:Razz

Domino, I won't be parting with it........I wonder whose hands worked the little quern, all those years ago.....................

George Brims
07-Aug-08, 21:51
As I mentioned on a "breadmaker" thread, there's a chain of shops here in Califonia that has a small milling machine in the back, so they only have grain delivered, and everything is made from freshly ground flour. Their bread is great, so maybe using your quern will be worthwhile.

Welcomefamily
08-Aug-08, 08:28
The square wheel, the idea just didnt get far.

The wheel was invented somewere, so why not Caithness.?lol

joxville
08-Aug-08, 10:20
I don't care when or where it was invented, I'd like to thank the person who invented the other three.:D