PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!! .....mean seal level pressures

Penelope Pitstop
07-Aug-08, 11:36
I know there are lots of bright sparks out there so can any of you give me a hand......Does anyone know where I can find a web site that would give me the mean sea level pressures?

Thanks in advance :D

Tristan
07-Aug-08, 11:42
If you google your query you should be fine but there is this site http://icoads.noaa.gov/SLP.html but I am sure you will find many others

Penelope Pitstop
07-Aug-08, 13:02
Thanks for that Tristan. I can't get the map to enlarge to read the chart!! .....yes, I know, I'm not very smart!!

I'm trying to calibrate my weather station and need the mean sea level pressure to do it (for Scrabster). The weather station bumf that comes with it says the information is readily available on local forecasts...huh... All the sites I've been on give the barometric pressure (is that the same thing??), but no mention of sea pressure....ahhhh!!....I can see it getting put back in the cupboard:roll:

Penelope Pitstop
07-Aug-08, 13:09
Think I've found it on www.wunderground.com (http://www.wunderground.com)

Scrabster seems to be steady at 1007.3 hPa :Razz

Thanks for your help Tristan

George Brims
07-Aug-08, 21:55
Thanks for that Tristan. I can't get the map to enlarge to read the chart!! .....yes, I know, I'm not very smart!!

I'm trying to calibrate my weather station and need the mean sea level pressure to do it (for Scrabster). The weather station bumf that comes with it says the information is readily available on local forecasts...huh... All the sites I've been on give the barometric pressure (is that the same thing??), but no mention of sea pressure....ahhhh!!....I can see it getting put back in the cupboard:roll:
The pressure you want is the barometric pressure *at* sea level. Since the sea and air are in contact, that would be the same pressure you could measure in the very top layer of the sea (but then you would get your machinery wet!).
From there the barometric pressure decreases as you get higher, and the water pressure increases as you get deeper.