PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of household batteries

Liz
06-Aug-08, 20:03
Just wondering how you dispose of your batteries?

Not sure whether household batteries are accepted at the recycling centre?

You can post your batteries back to some manufacturers for recycling:-
http://www.ryemarket.eclipse.co.uk/reg/batteries.htm

I got a battery recharger so must invest in some rechargeable batteries.

EDDIE
06-Aug-08, 20:29
shove it in the bucket it will be alright all u can do if your into protecting the environment is by rechargables for the future

domino
06-Aug-08, 20:35
Perhaps you could 'phone the Council and ask their advice?

Liz
06-Aug-08, 21:59
Perhaps you could 'phone the Council and ask their advice?

Yes I will do that.:D

lotsoflovelorraine
06-Aug-08, 22:28
the recycling plant in thurso takes them :D

Liz
06-Aug-08, 22:58
the recycling plant in thurso takes them :D

Ah well I'm sure the Wick plant will take them as well.:D

Have to go there with cardboard boxes anyway so will ask.

I have to admit I have always just thrown them in the bin and never thought until I read about them leaking and being bad for the environment.

George Brims
06-Aug-08, 23:03
shove it in the bucket it will be alright all u can do if your into protecting the environment is by rechargables for the future
If you're using rechargables, those are the ones you really shouldn't just shove in the bucket, *especially NiCad* as those contain cadmium which is horrible stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itai-itai_disease
We have a recycling centre where I work, so we have a wee box in our lab where we all drop them, and someone takes them over when the box fills up. I am sure someone at Highland Council HQ is responsible for disseminating information on where you can recycle batteries.

badger
07-Aug-08, 09:07
I used to keep mine thinking when I had enough I'd take them to the Recycling Centre. They started hissing one day so decided their time had come but when I got to the Centre (Wick) they just laughed at me. Admittedly this was a while ago and they took them anyway but think they just got thrown in the non-recyclables. Also tried phoning the Council once about this - lady sounded very puzzled and said just bin them. They take car batteries but not sure about ordinary ones. Maybe it's time to try again.

The Tetrapak bin at Thurso is usually full to overflowing so last time I went he told me to put them in with the cardboard which didn't seem right. Either they need much larger bins or they need to empty more often. Given the distance I would think larger bins are the answer.

Liz
07-Aug-08, 13:12
Might be a good idea then to send them back to the manufacturers as per the link I gave.

EDDIE
07-Aug-08, 16:49
Might be a good idea then to send them back to the manufacturers as per the link I gave.

I could just imagine the guys face and words he would use if customers posted back batteries that are at the end of there lol

wifie
07-Aug-08, 17:38
I used to keep mine thinking when I had enough I'd take them to the Recycling Centre. They started hissing one day so decided their time had come but when I got to the Centre (Wick) they just laughed at me. Admittedly this was a while ago and they took them anyway but think they just got thrown in the non-recyclables. Also tried phoning the Council once about this - lady sounded very puzzled and said just bin them. They take car batteries but not sure about ordinary ones. Maybe it's time to try again.

The Tetrapak bin at Thurso is usually full to overflowing so last time I went he told me to put them in with the cardboard which didn't seem right. Either they need much larger bins or they need to empty more often. Given the distance I would think larger bins are the answer.

This is precisely where I think the recycling system goes wrong. A lack of education for the staff involved in guiding the public makes people resentful and wonder why they should bother. I would have thought that the tetrapaks going in the cardboard would contaminate the whole load and make it worthless for recycling (I could be wrong). Here in Perth we are very lucky and have a fabulous recycling centre where the men who run it are like rottweilers and make sure you put stuff in the right place - actually they are extremely helpful and are always happy to answer questions. Maybe we are just lucky! :)

Liz
07-Aug-08, 17:41
I could just imagine the guys face and words he would use if customers posted back batteries that are at the end of there lol
There are addresses given for this purpose.