PDA

View Full Version : hangover cures

spiggie
16-Dec-05, 15:06
Since we are approaching the festive season and more alcoholic drinks will be on the cards im sure, there will be a few more sore heads in the morning. So what is everybody's favourite hangover cure...? :)

ben1234
16-Dec-05, 15:08
A hair of the dog is usually the best cure........

krieve
16-Dec-05, 15:12
I don't normally get hungover i can usually have a good fill and feel fine but for the odd time i do get a hangover i take asprin and then i feel fine .

Rheghead
16-Dec-05, 15:24
Take a hot flask and have a good quiet walk into the Caithnessian countryside.

Henrik7
16-Dec-05, 15:30
A fry up or cheeseburger does it for me at lunch time.

DrSzin
16-Dec-05, 15:33
This thread is a few hours too late for me today. :rolleyes:

If you want to combine traditional cures with a hair of the dog, then vodka & Solpadeine does the job quite nicely. (You need the soluble Solpadeine of course.) I dare say it's doubly bad for the liver though, so it's perhaps best to leave out the vodka bit...

Donnie
16-Dec-05, 15:38
Pepperment Tea.

lorr_mun14
16-Dec-05, 15:41
try a fruit smoothie, if you can handle bannanas, they are the best to add!

wicker
16-Dec-05, 15:46
Dont have one but need to find one soon as i suffer 12 hour sickness after a night out, get this every time no matter how much or how little or what i've drunk the night before hand. Never used to get hangovers then earlier this year after being out for 2 pints thats me suffered ever since :-(

scorrie
16-Dec-05, 16:08
Since we are approaching the festive season and more alcoholic drinks will be on the cards im sure, there will be a few more sore heads in the morning. So what is everybody's favourite hangover cure...? :)

Plenty water, some Jaaps health salts and as many "Brad Pitts" as you can manage usually does the trick. Solpadol is also good for the sore heid, being stronger than Solpadeine (only available on prescription though)

MsMe
16-Dec-05, 16:22
a carton of blackcurrent ribena always helps. or a walk in the fresh air and if still not feeling too hot then a fry up will solve the problem

DrSzin
16-Dec-05, 16:27
Lol, it took me a while to figure out what a Brad Pitt was -- I almost resorted to Google. Yeah, I did use it to check. :rolleyes:

I've been on the Strathmore sparkling mineral water today. It's pretty good when you've had too many Britney Spears.

jay
16-Dec-05, 16:32
I find plain ice lollies help - gets rid of the druth without making you feel sick!

caithnessgirl
16-Dec-05, 16:48
i always have two paracetamol when i get in and a big glass of water.
Feel fine the next day.....never fails! :)

Astra
16-Dec-05, 17:15
Two raw eggs
Half a glass of milk
Pinch of salt
A quick wisk together and down in a oner that will sort you all out

ben1234
16-Dec-05, 17:19
i always have two paracetamol when i get in and a big glass of water.
Feel fine the next day.....never fails! :)I can never remember getting home though never mind trying to remember to drink water....

busy
16-Dec-05, 17:21
Cant folk just drink in moderation if they need to drink at all? That way there will be no need for hangover cures. Sorry to be a stick in the mud but my opinion is that you dont need drink to have a good time.

Astra
16-Dec-05, 17:29
Geee.... Cant wait to come to your party sounds fun

EDDIE
16-Dec-05, 18:01
the best way would be to pace yourself and for ever every couple of alchol drinks have a soft drink preferably water and before you go to bed drink a pint of water makes a big difference in the morning what i also do is once ive had wuite a few vodkas i have an expresso i think that makes a difference in sobering u up.

ben1234
16-Dec-05, 18:03
I dont see the point in drinking to stay sober....waste of money I would say
The hangover is all part of the fun too...a sure sign you've had a good night.

EDDIE
16-Dec-05, 18:10
the thing is ben u dont need to get drunk to have fun me personally i admire the people that can go out have a few drinks and enjoys themselves without the need to get totaly drunk.

ben1234
16-Dec-05, 18:18
the thing is ben u dont need to get drunk to have fun me personally i admire the people that can go out have a few drinks and enjoys themselves without the need to get totaly drunk.Having a few drinks just gives you that extra bit of confidence to let yourself go a bit and have fun. I agree, it must be great for people who can go out and do that anyway without the drink but I can only speak for myself and I think I have a better time once I've had a few drinks...
I don't go out very often though so when I do go out I like to make sure I have a good time...

motopitcrew
16-Dec-05, 18:23
Hangovers are just an excuse to lie in bed and i dont beleive that they are real . ive been binge drinking every sautarday day & night for the last 20 years and have never had a hangover
but i alwase have a good meal before going out .and drink loads of water before going to bed.
Sometimes im carryed home by my mates but alwase wake up fresh and ready to do whatever the day brings

Drutt
16-Dec-05, 18:27
Hangovers are just an excuse to lie in bed and i dont beleive that they are real . ive been binge drinking every sautarday day & night for the last 20 years and have never had a hangover That level of tolerance strikes me as a bad sign. Take care (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4529106.stm), motopitcrew.

EDDIE
16-Dec-05, 18:27
Well ben i suppose its easy for people to give opinions on this board me personally when i was in my late teens i used to get drunk quite a lot and enjoyed myself but now im a lot older and tend not to get drunk i guess its thats what happens when u get older.To be honest about i think everyones guilty of getting blitzed in there late teens.

ben1234
16-Dec-05, 18:28
Hangovers are just an excuse to lie in bed and i dont beleive that they are real . ive been binge drinking every sautarday day & night for the last 20 years and have never had a hangover
but i alwase have a good meal before going out .and drink loads of water before going to bed.
Sometimes im carryed home by my mates but alwase wake up fresh and ready to do whatever the day bringsHow do you manage to drink loads of water after being carried home. I sometimes try to convnce myself I dont have a hangover just because I dont want to admit I canna mind a thing and Im feeling a bit depressed and paranoid but the hangovers there alright..

fed-ex
16-Dec-05, 18:39
How do you manage to drink loads of water after being carried home. I sometimes try to convnce myself I dont have a hangover just because I dont want to admit I canna mind a thing and Im feeling a bit depressed and paranoid but the hangovers there alright..Dont worry it happens to us all. Wake up and dont even know if you've had all that good a night. It usually always happens on the very night you try to stay sober too. And if you go out with the intention of getting blazin thats the very night that no matter how much you drink it dosn't take effect. It happens to me all the time. Cure for the hangver for me is a good cooked breakfast and a pint of magners.....

spiggie
16-Dec-05, 18:48
Cant folk just drink in moderation if they need to drink at all? That way there will be no need for hangover cures. Sorry to be a stick in the mud but my opinion is that you dont need drink to have a good time.

even if i do drink in moderation i still end up with a hangover.... so what would be ur suggestion... not to drink at all

ben1234
16-Dec-05, 18:54
I think a good way too to lessen the hangover a bit is if you can have a shower and wash your hair when you come home. Just the smell off your clothes in the morning after being in the pub is enough to make you sick..

lassieinfife
16-Dec-05, 19:34
drink plenty water ...... its because you are dehydrated that is the main problem

htwood
16-Dec-05, 21:21
the problem is that your liver recognizes alcohol as poison and works very hard to clear it from your bloodstream. Dehydration is only one factor in a hangover....low blood sugar is another cuz your liver wont produce any glucose while its busy cleaning up the toxins.
Anyone who says they only drink "in moderation" and still get a hangover is still drinkin too much for what their body can handle.
I knew a woman who died of alcoholism, and her son jokingly told us that she had died when her liver tried to leap from her body, to save itself. A sad story.

golach
16-Dec-05, 22:25
Best Hangover cure there is "Dont Drink"

busy
17-Dec-05, 15:29
Sorry to kinda go off the topic but whats all the fuss about getting drunk? I used to go out a lot and get drunk quite a lot until about a year ago. Now I have a chronic medical condition and due to medication, I am unable to drink at all for the next three months and its doubtful that il ever get back up to my previous drinking ability. Its never nice when you dont have the option of doing something that you are accustomed to. However, I still go out completely sober and have a good time most nights. Its quite funny though when you see other folk out and they make complete fools of themselves. I imagine that a lot of people posting on this thread are of a more mature age (30+) and are more settled in their life. However, I am only 21 and it surprises me how much people take their health for granted. A simple 'hangover cure' doesnt repair all the damage that the alcohol has caused from the night before.

_Ju_
17-Dec-05, 19:22
Geee.... Cant wait to come to your party sounds fun

Astra, I'venever been drunk and always had fun at parties. Drinking yourself under the table doesn't sound like fun to me.

However, the night you drink too much take asprin or paracetamol before you pass out, with as much water as you can. When you wake up, take the tablets again when its time, eat something sweet ( chocolate or bananas for example) and drink lots (LOTS) of water.

angela5
18-Dec-05, 23:51
stay in bed all day with loads of crisps and coke.

fed-ex
18-Dec-05, 23:59
stay in bed all day with loads of crisps and coke.I tried that one today and it dosna work. Now i've just got a bed full of crumbs and another sleepless night ahead of me.

Jeid
19-Dec-05, 00:27
Having seen both sides of the drinking thing, I prefer not drinking now. I used to go out pretty much every night I got the chance. I gave up heavy drinking around about July and I've never looked back. Its not as great as some people make it out to be. Its kind of like smoking when your a teenager. Some people think its a macho thing. Who cares how much you had to drink? Your not doing yourself any favours, your not big, your not clever.

Since I've stopped drinking as much(I still enjoy a night out every once in a while, but not to the extents that i used to drink) I've started enjoying myself more. I can go out and only have a few drinks and still have a really good time. Its not the drink that makes you have a good time, whoever said that is talking rubbish, its the people you are with and the mood that you're all in.

As for hangover cures, my favourites are Irn-Bru, has to be sitting in the fridge all night, should be prepared before you go to the pub.

Diluted juice and salt & vinegar Squares work a treat, fluid and salts.

Failing any of them, spewing your guts up and doing the toilet always works. Gotta flush out the alcohol!

lou2201
19-Dec-05, 00:40
I always try and drink loads of water before i go to bed, then hav a big breakfast, that sorts me out.if all else fails, hair of the dog!!

pedromcgrory
19-Dec-05, 01:15
keep drinking

katarina
19-Dec-05, 15:21

Everytime someone goes up for a round, order a glass of water. Then drink it, instead of, not as well. Works every time.

Whitewater
20-Dec-05, 11:16
Agree with Eddies cure, never fails if you take your time and drink lots of water in between but I can never remember or would want drink a pint of water before going to bed although I'm assured it works

angela5
20-Dec-05, 14:38
haha wakening up with an ugly duckling sure cures the hangover, get's you out of bed pretty quick too!:p

angela5
20-Dec-05, 14:45
I bet,
plenty of water does the trick they say i would'nt know i'm happy having an alchol free night out, much better fun.

Jeid
20-Dec-05, 20:57
there was a thing in the Daily Record today about hangover cures, Irn Bru was in there :)

shrek_donkey
20-Dec-05, 21:10
I always drink alots of water before i go to bed wake up in the morning and i feel tip top

jamesmoore
28-Dec-05, 15:00
Does this help you any watman?

spiggie
29-Dec-05, 17:16
I actually think that it is also alot to do with the mixer that u add 2 your alcohol. If i drink vodka and coke im as sick as a dog the next day, but if i stick to vodie sodawater and lime im tip top - mostly ;)

Jeid
30-Dec-05, 01:32
Coke is sugary so your bound to feel awful in the morning. I used to be the same. Started drinking Vodka and water and it never gave me a hangover.

Then I just stopped drinking.

Naefearjustbeer
30-Dec-05, 13:04
Sausage bacon and eggs, If that doesnt work a couple of aspirins and one of those yoghurt drinks and go back to bed for a sleep.. and the most important bit make sure the wife is getting up to give the kids breakfast

weeboyagee
30-Dec-05, 16:16
"miracle juices (TM) - hangover cures" is available from hamlyn books for £4.50 ISBN 0-600-60672-4

Bought for me by a friend in Mull a while ago - for very obvious reasons. Can't say any of the cocktails in it "cure" me but by heck they hit your system and take your mind off your head and gut for a while eg:

300g tomatoes, 100g celery, 2.5 cm cube fresh root ginger, roughly chopped, 1 garlic clove, 2.5 cm cube fresh horseradish, 175g carrots, ice cubes, celery slivers to decorate (optional).

Juice all the ingredients, process the juice with a couple of ice cubes in a blender or food processor and serve in a tumbler. Decorate with celery slivers if desired (Makes 150ml - quarter pint!)

Hmmmm, yum yum! Cure or kill? WBG :cool:

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 20:37
I heard something once, I'm not sure if it works as I've never tried it.

It was "take an Ibruprofen when your coming near the end of the night. Its stops your brain from swelling from the effects of alcohol withdrawl while you're sleeping, which is what makes you feel so ill in the morning."

Best to check with your doc first to see if this one works and is safe.

Of course the best way is not to drink to much in the first place, especially binging as that really isn't good for your health.

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 21:52
There is a product originally developed for the Russian secret service KGB to combat a real hard night out on the vodka (at least that is the story). It is marketed in this country as RU-21 (http://www.ru21.com/). I haven't tried it myself but the marketing claims seem to be quite positive.

If anybody does have a go then let me know.:p

The only product that I have tried was Resolve but I found no difference than just resting my sore head with an Anadin.

weeboyagee
31-Dec-05, 00:01
The only product that I have tried was Resolve but I found no difference than just resting my sore head with an Anadin.

Like the night you tried Potcheen???? :D Bet you had a packet of Anadin the following morning - not telling any stories - like! We'll make a man o' ye yet!!! Better get LOTS of Anadin for the next few days given the time of year Rheggers! Lol!

Saveman
31-Dec-05, 00:05
Poteen?

Don't drink it unless its completly clear like vodka.

i have my sources.....;)

Naefearjustbeer
02-Jan-06, 12:05
Poteen?

Don't drink it unless its completly clear like vodka.

i have my sources.....;)

source of info? or of poteen!!:D

Saveman
02-Jan-06, 14:16
source of info? or of poteen!!:D

Info of course. :)
Poteen (the real home made stuff) is illegal. And for very good reason. Poteen that is not made correctly or is low quality can be extremely dangerous. In fact the good stuff can be extremely dangerous too.

So drink it slowly and have only one or two shots at the most. Thats my advice, but I'm no expert.

Now...are there any clean shot glasses available....

;)

spiggie
02-Jan-06, 17:58
I heard something once, I'm not sure if it works as I've never tried it.

It was "take an Ibruprofen when your coming near the end of the night. Its stops your brain from swelling from the effects of alcohol withdrawl while you're sleeping, which is what makes you feel so ill in the morning."

Best to check with your doc first to see if this one works and is safe.

Of course the best way is not to drink to much in the first place, especially binging as that really isn't good for your health.

dont think that would be advisable as your liver is already working overtime with the amount of alcohol that you have consumed, your not meant to take any painkillers with alcohol..