PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Hospitals

AfternoonDelight
06-Aug-08, 11:19
I'm sorry I thought this was the UK in 2008, not a third world country in the dark ages... [disgust]

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=9134695

How are medical staff supposed to do their jobs in this environment? Makes you want to stay at home and operate on yourself with a rusty knife... :roll:

dirdyweeker
06-Aug-08, 13:24
Thankfully this is for England. I hope Scottish hospitals are cleaner??

teenybash
06-Aug-08, 15:32
This is scary...................[disgust]

percy toboggan
06-Aug-08, 16:57
Spin from the Tory Party...pure Spin...they should hang their heads.

So ... the NHS receives 20,000 visits from Pest Controllers in a year...is anyone surprised? I'm not. With thewir vast array of building sold and new...the amount of building work that is going on it's totally understandable....especially when one call-out usually results in three visits.

My Dail Mail today ran the unforgivable healdine 'OUR FILTHY HOSPITALS' which is untrue, and an utter disgrace. How demoralising that must be for a workforce trying hard to cut down cases of c-diff and MRSA. I know there are problems with infection....Heaven knows I'm partly affected by them in a fringe kind of way myself and other son here have been deeply affected only recently... but this latest report is just Political chancery of the worst kind. The Conservatives were responsible for running down cleanliness in our Hospitals so it's not really their place to point out the obvious. Big buildings can be plagued with Mice , Rats, Roaches and other pests so DEAL WITH IT. Which is what it sounds like they are doing.
A black mark for David Cameron in my book.
I beseech all who read such stuff and make instant judgements to think outside the box, or at least consider what is being said...there ar NO surprises here....vermin is an unpleasant fact of life.

Kenn
06-Aug-08, 20:18
In the course of the last five weeks have had to visit two local hospitals, the first, Southlands in West Sussex insisted on hands being disinfected before entry and the place was spotless although I did n't get to check for cockroaches,mice etc.
The second was to The Royal Sussex in East Sussex, no hand disenfecting facilities, the waiting room had skirting boards hanging off and the floor looked as it it might have seen a polish some time in the last three months even the consulting room left alot to be desired,
No bets as to which has the highest rate of hospital acquired infections!
My sister is a retired Matron and one of her daily tasks was to check the wards for cleanliness and the other areas of the hospital, she too has been horrified by the lack of standards on recent visits to her main local hospital and has had to mention to staff about washing hands etc. before moving from one patient to another.
I have to admit though that on the few occasions I have visted friends in Wick hospital it has looked clean and organised so hopefully as mentioned this is a problem south of the border and not north.

the charlatans
06-Aug-08, 20:38
I know that this article is directed at English and Welsh hospitals but my recent (and rather frequent) visits to the Maternity wing of Raigmore in Inversnecky have left me impressed. Not only do they clean it thoroughly the inspector comes round with white gloves on and checks everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I have requested them to come to my house but no show as yet.
However, I have been in the Queen Mothers Maternity in Glasgow and its not as clean or well kept as Raigmore.
I know hospitals do get a bad press but from my recent experience I have to be thankful that there are some cleaners worth their salt out there.

Kevin Milkins
06-Aug-08, 22:48
Having lived in Wales and England ,and now live in Wick , my observation is that Scotlands NHS service is far superior to that down south.
Apart from being a lot cleaner they seem to be a lot more efficiant.