PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Preference Service; Useless?

bekisman
05-Aug-08, 14:00
Back in May/June I was getting unwanted marketing calls. My Caller display gave the uk number, I contacted TPS and eventually they came back and said unable to help. So I contacted the 'Information Commissioner's Office' (next step up).. here's their reply..

bottom line; 'what's the point?'...

5th August 2008
Case Reference Number .....
Dear Mr (Me)!
Thank you for your correspondence dated 26th June 2008 regarding what appear to be unsolicited automated calls.
Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you, our office is currently dealing with large volumes of work. This has meant that we have been unable to deal with incoming correspondence as promptly as we would like.
The Information Commissioner advises on and enforces the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 (the Regulations). These Regulations cover the way organisations market subscribers by electronic means (for example using telephone, fax, text and email). Marketing can include the promotion of goods, services, aims or ideals.
Regulation 19 requires that UK based organisations do not make unsolicited, automated marketing calls unless they obtained the consent of the subscriber before they call. An automated call is a call made using automatic dialling equipment where a recorded message is transmitted.
TPS registration does not apply to automated calls due to the much stricter prior consent rule outlined above, therefore, companies wishing to make such calls are not obliged to screen against TPS.
In this case from the information provided it would appear that you have received an automated call probably offering debt management or loans.
Our office has received a number of complaints about automated calls, specifically regarding a debt initiative with the call sometimes seemingly originating from abroad, and the matter is currently with our Regulatory Action Division (RAD) for their consideration. The information you have provided to us may be added to the complaints we have already received.
I note from you correspondence that you also appear to be receiving silent calls.
The most common form of silent call arises from the use of call centre technology which dials target numbers automatically to facilitate a live conversation, so-called ‘power diallers’. Sometimes, when power diallers are used, there can be a delay in the process of connecting the call centre worker to the target number which results in a disturbing silence. It can also result in calls that are subsequently terminated at times when the number of answered calls exceeds the number of available operators.
While we certainly appreciate that silent calls can be disturbing, the call does not transmit any marketing material and therefore the rules of the Regulations which we enforce do not apply. We are therefore not able to look at complaints about silent calls.
The problem of silent calls generally falls under Ofcom’s remit. The persistent misuse of communications networks is subject to regulation by Ofcom (under the Communications Act 2003). This Act gives that regulator powers to take action against network use which causes avoidable nuisance, annoyance or anxiety. If you have a persistent problem with silent calls you may therefore wish to contact Ofcom for advice:
Telephone: 0845 456 3000
Further information regarding Ofcom’s approach to silent calls can also be found at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/mofaq/telecoms/silentfaqs/#content (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/mofaq/telecoms/silentfaqs/#content)
It is unlikely that we will need to contact you again about this issue, however, we would like to thank you for taking the time to inform us about this matter.
Yours sincerely

Case Officer.

tommy1979
05-Aug-08, 15:23
passing the buck to ofcom it seems

Metalattakk
05-Aug-08, 15:41
Nonsense, it's OFCOM's department - it's their trolley.

If your GP recommended that you see a surgeon for some surgery, would you accuse him of 'passing the buck' too? :roll:

benji
05-Aug-08, 20:25
mmmm TPS useless? Yes.

I signed up ages ago but am still getting calls telling me that I have won a holiday in Australia/US, a free kitchen survey, a new conservatory, death insurance (at 10am ona Saturday!), new windows and new roof.

Asking them to repeat the company name or their own names means that they have roused my devious plan to report them. I have now taken to asking them to tell me more over the phone. I then place the reciever on the table and leave it there for 5mins or I keep asking questions. My reasoning is that if I can keep them on the phone them they may have one less peson to diddle.

My next plan of attack is to accept phantom appointments and not show up.

While I realise that these people have a job to do I have thr right not to be called when I have registered with the TPS (and check twice yearly that I am still on their register).

I do remember one bad call. An american gentleman called me up randomly and started asking em where I had my "investments". I told him on polite terms to go away and he got rather aggressive.....

Gizmo
05-Aug-08, 20:37
I signed up to the TPS and although i do still get unwanted spam phone calls it's certainly not on the level it previously was, i did get a call from some company last week, i quickly and politely told him i wasn't interested and hung up, seconds later the phone rang again and it was the same bloke...this time i wasn't so polite and told him 'don't effing well call here again', that seemed to do the trick :)

tommy1979
06-Aug-08, 00:01
Nonsense, it's OFCOM's department - it's their trolley.

If your GP recommended that you see a surgeon for some surgery, would you accuse him of 'passing the buck' too?

yes, id tell my GP not to be so stupid, whip out the scalpel and get slicing :cool:

Just wait and see the response he gets from ofcom...along the lines of please contact the TPS :roll:

passing the buck is what these regulating bodies are good at

TBH
06-Aug-08, 00:07
Although these calls are annoying you can have fun with them.

Metalattakk
06-Aug-08, 01:30
yes, id tell my GP not to be so stupid, whip out the scalpel and get slicing :cool:

Just wait and see the response he gets from ofcom...along the lines of please contact the TPS :roll:

passing the buck is what these regulating bodies are good at

Yep, but OFCOM inevitably passing the buck isn't the same as your scenario of the ICO 'passing the buck' as it's not the ICO's job to investigate, it's OFCOM's.

Sheesh, this shouldn't be so difficult to understand...

dirdyweeker
06-Aug-08, 13:45
Although these calls are annoying you can have fun with them.

Yeah, great fun! I love to listen to their speil and then at the end decline whatever they are offering. They don't half hang up quickly then and in most cases don't even bother to say goodbye. (I wonder why!)
Costs them money and only your time.

My son who is 14 was asked for by name the other day to be offered a lower car insurance! He did not bother to say his age....just obviously declined the offer!:lol:

tommy1979
07-Aug-08, 01:10
Yep, but OFCOM inevitably passing the buck isn't the same as your scenario of the ICO 'passing the buck' as it's not the ICO's job to investigate, it's OFCOM's.

Sheesh, this shouldn't be so difficult to understand...

i was making a general comment.....no need to be so anal about it chap lol

Sheesh, some folk :roll::lol:

anyway Im right and you know it haha

Metalattakk
07-Aug-08, 02:01
Tommy, making incorrect statements, then backing them up with further incorrect statements doesn't make you right. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it makes you wrong.

I've said many times before, people on here should read, cogitate and only then respond. Give it a go next time, mate. ;)

Welcomefamily
07-Aug-08, 07:54
You should ask them to repeat it and then keep questioning one aspect of it, they get really annoyed.

Yeah, great fun! I love to listen to their speil and then at the end decline whatever they are offering. They don't half hang up quickly then and in most cases don't even bother to say goodbye. (I wonder why!)
Costs them money and only your time.

My son who is 14 was asked for by name the other day to be offered a lower car insurance! He did not bother to say his age....just obviously declined the offer!:lol:

tommy1979
07-Aug-08, 13:34
Tommy, making incorrect statements, then backing them up with further incorrect statements doesn't make you right. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it makes you wrong.

I've said many times before, people on here should read, cogitate and only then respond. Give it a go next time, mate. ;)

If you feel my statement is wrong that's your problem, however I am never wrong so your just going to have to deal with these issues you have with who is right and who is wrong on your own because I'm SOOOOO bored with this now :lol::cool:

Goodbye Mr Ostentatious

Metalattakk
07-Aug-08, 14:03
Aha, a response that is as thought-provoking and ostensibly relevant as any you've made so far in this thread. Congrats and kudos to you.

*filed under 'Must Try Harder'*