PDA

View Full Version : Seismic activity????

UncleFester
05-Aug-08, 10:47
Hi,

Just wondered if anybody knows of (or felt) any Seismic shift in the Castletown area over the weekend (possibly Sunday night).

The reason I ask, is that my father pointed out (yesterday) that all the internal doors in his house that face parallel to the road, all seem to jam slightly (on the doorjam) whereas all the other doors work correctly.

I had a quick look and he was right, there was even a crack appeared on the top of the door to ceiling section. Even his garden gate is jamming slightly where is didn't before.

So it looks like the ground has shifted a mil or 2 since Sunday.

Any thoughts???

NickInTheNorth
05-Aug-08, 10:53
Most recent UK seismic activity listed here:

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/recent_events/recent_events.html

There was one 35KM E OF HELMSDALE 29/7 doubt that would have had any effect up here, but you never know...

Kathy@watten
05-Aug-08, 12:25
LOl on Sunday night/afternoon did we not get a complete downpour? a mini monsoon possibly the doors have swollen a bit rather than an earthquake?

UncleFester
05-Aug-08, 12:33
No, as these doors are inside a dry house and it's only certain doors not all doors

kriklah
05-Aug-08, 14:02
please tell me dads not remodeling the house again!!! and your sure its not the dogs bouncing off the walls that did it?!!!!:lol: otherwise. tell mum not to give him curry again!!!!!;)

theone
05-Aug-08, 21:02
I'd be concerned about subsidence if I were your Dad.

Whether caused by seismic activity or anything else, it's not a good thing.