PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Gum

Anonymous
25-Jun-03, 06:50
Remember on my last visit back to Thurso how the streets were paved in chewing gum, so much so that it may infact be considered pretty safe to fall down around some of the street corners where this stuff seems to accumulate as no doubt you would bounce back up, however it looks disgusting.
I never partake of the stuff myself, can see no benefit to society from chewing gum so therefore would recommend it be banned - what do you reckon?

Drutt
25-Jun-03, 10:31
I remember when I used to live in Glasgow, and George Square was a square of grey tarmac, with every inch covered in chewing gum of various shade of grey. Then the Council re-tarmaced it, and it had a lovely gleaming pale pink surface... for all of 2 days. The blobs of chewing gum were soon reappearing. [mad]

It costs a fortune to steam clean the pavements of chewing gum - Glasgow spends £200k per year, and apparently £150m is spent each year cleaning up chewing gum in the UK. This compares with £271m being spent on chewing gum purchases each year.

So a tax of about 55% would cover the current cleaning bill. Clearly though, there are places, like Thurso, where there is no clean-up. Therefore I reckon that if chewing gum is taxed at, say, 400 or 500%, there may be enough money to go round to clean up more places.

And this level of tax might finally persuade the chewing gum manufacturers to develop a non-stick chewing gum which can simply be swept up.

2little2late
25-Jun-03, 22:34
And this level of tax might finally persuade the chewing gum manufacturers to develop a non-stick chewing gum which can simply be swept up.
They can make chewing that doesn't stick to dentures, sow hy not pavements?

jjc
25-Jun-03, 23:15
They can make chewing that doesn't stick to dentures, sow hy not pavements?

Isn't it obvious? It is all a conspiracy between the people that put the addictive substances into chewing gum and the people who make the high-powered water jets to clean the pavements... (they also control the government, don't you know) [para]

jjc
25-Jun-03, 23:42
Here's a question... how long before an abandoned sticky thread becomes the same kind of a problem as abandoned sticky chewing gum? (hint! hint!)

dpw39
26-Jun-03, 00:59
It never ceases to amaze me, why we seem to always throw money at problems, when we should do like everybody else does. Swallow the stuff, and let nature take its course. We have a perfectly good effluence system, which would remove the offending article (unfortunately not the perpetrator), in a ""environmentally"" safe way. Therefore saving the taxpayers £millions per annum which could be diverted to helping 3rd world countries where the gum is exported from utilising cheap and underpaid labor.

Basically, its just rubberry/latex thingymy stuff, and after a couple of minutes, it becomes tasteless and your jaws ache. In fact you'd be better off buying those fruit flavoured thingymejigs that one finds in selective urinals/water closet establishments, normally found in licenced premises.

These could possibly become an educational teaching aid in the use of safe sex, :evil

Ciao,

Dave the Rave

squidge
26-Jun-03, 15:01
Crumbs Dave

Dont you know that if you swallow chewing gum it gets all tangled up round your insides and you can DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Did your mum never tell you that?

Anonymous
26-Jun-03, 15:54
Maybe she did and he took no notice - I reckon he needed a skelp :roll:

Geo
26-Jun-03, 17:19
Remember on my last visit back to Thurso how the streets were paved in chewing gum, so much so that it may infact be considered pretty safe to fall down around some of the street corners where this stuff seems to accumulate as no doubt you would bounce back up, however it looks disgusting.
I never partake of the stuff myself, can see no benefit to society from chewing gum so therefore would recommend it be banned - what do you reckon?

I fail to see why people can't dispose of it in a bin, or wrap it in the paper it came in to dispose of later. Spitting it out or throwing it on the pavement is just ill mannered and lazy. Personally I just swallow the stuff, but then my insides are probably riddled with it! :D

dpw39
26-Jun-03, 19:29
Nah Geo,
my Mum told me all about the pitfalls of life etc but now I'm a big boy, I make my own decisions, but logically thinking, its like sweetcorn, what go's in must come out, and sweetcorn allways does. But enough of this frivolity and lavortorial humour. Yes I agree entirely with your sentiments. Most culprits do it through ignorance and never give it a passing thought.

Its lethal weapon if left in your trouser pockets on a hot sweaty day, as it sticks like # to a blanket, and you're always gaurenteed to stand in it if there's a rouge piece on the pavement. It comes looking for protesters who are against chewing-gum.

Arghhhh [lol]

Ciao,

Dave the Rave

Wounded Soldier
26-Jun-03, 19:54
nothing wrong wid spittin it on the street, if a dog can s~~t on the pavement then my chuddy can go there too, aint me that gotta clean it up. :p

Anonymous
26-Jun-03, 20:39
Now there is someone who needs a smack :mad:

2little2late
26-Jun-03, 22:18
nothing wrong wid spittin it on the street, if a dog can s~~t on the pavement then my chuddy can go there too, aint me that gotta clean it up. :p

He would be the first to complain if he traipsed either one of them on to his living room carpet

Kenn
26-Jun-03, 22:37
nice point deacon blue..it's worse than superglue if it gets onto yer carpets an' the chemicals you have to use to remove it carry a health warning :confused How about a by-law if you have such things,council here has forbidden spitting in public places with on the spot fine has helped quite considerably no longer get stuck to paving stones every 3 paces :lol:
Now I've just had a thought,why not mix the gum with superglue? That sure would be effective in more ways than one :evil
Right I'm off to clear the days detritus that has been left on grass verge by front path!

George Brims
27-Jun-03, 02:26
Spitting in public has been illegal for decades, ever since they worked out that diseases (tuberculosis in particular) are spread via saliva. Spitting is very common in China, and authorities there are coming down on it very hard since the SARS outbreak.

It's bad enough the amount of gum dropped on the pavements in Scotland, but so far I don't think British kids have adopted the American habit of sticking it under the table in restaurants when it's time to eat. When my son was very small (head below table top height) we used to have to watch him like a hawk in case he grabbed it and stuffed it in his mouth. [disgust]

Wounded Soldier
27-Jun-03, 18:21
Spitting in public has been illegal for decades, Spitting is very common in China [disgust]

yah yah, whatever man :roll: