PDA

View Full Version : Cafe facilities

Melancholy Man
04-Aug-08, 19:30
I've a mate in Edinburgh, with 20 years in catering, who's vaguely interested in opening a cafe in a wee northern town (population 10,000, say) with potential for tourist passage. So, are there any disused facilities in Thurso (Wick at a pinch) which I can take a deik of and report back?

dirdyweeker
04-Aug-08, 23:11
Plenty available places in Wick lying empty, also lots of cafes here too. A shortage of evening opening cafes mind you.

Bobinovich
05-Aug-08, 00:42
Probably a bit big but the old Co-Op / 99p Store opposite Woolworths in Thurso is the only empty building I can think of, but it could easily be split into smaller units.

The only problem is that Thurso already has an abundance of cafe's with Reids, Jamiesons, Johnstons, and Cardosis all within a couple of minutes walk :confused

*Martin*
05-Aug-08, 00:49
Sorry to slip off topic! I didn't realise 99p Shop used to be the CO-OP!

Learn something new everyday!

Buttercup
05-Aug-08, 00:53
Thurso has got quite a few cafes only thing is there's none open in the evenings, is there?:confused

Buttercup
05-Aug-08, 00:56
Sorry to slip off topic! I didn't realise 99p Shop used to be the CO-OP!

Learn something new everyday!

Wasn't Caithness Home Furnishers in there, after the Coop, when they first started up?

Bobinovich
05-Aug-08, 01:07
I quite agree Buttercup but I doubt there's sufficient additional business in the evenings to warrant another cafe. I also understand that there is another cafe opening shortly down by the beach front.

The tourist season is short enough and, apart from somewhere for kids to hang out the rest of the time, evening opening may well be a lonely experience unless there's something else on offer.

Just my view of course! As a self-employed person myself I'm behind anyone who wants to start up in business - especially in these hard times. There's nothing worse than seeing buildings lying empty in town so hope it's not for too long.

Wasn't Caithness Home Furnishers in there, after the Coop, when they first started up?

I believe you're right :)

hotrod4
05-Aug-08, 06:53
I've a mate in Edinburgh, with 20 years in catering, who's vaguely interested in opening a cafe in a wee northern town (population 10,000, say) with potential for tourist passage. So, are there any disused facilities in Thurso (Wick at a pinch) which I can take a deik of and report back?

There is an abundance of eateries in Caithness, but very few open at night.
All new business is to be welcomed but I do feel that there isnt much of a market in Caithness,BUT there is a distinct lack of "mobile" catering units like you used to see at the weekends a few years back. Maybe that would be a better bet? as there is little or no competition.(and low overheads)After all you cant get chips in Wick after 8pm, even at the weekend!!!!.

Good luck whatever happens.

Welcomefamily
05-Aug-08, 08:28
The new town hall complex is going to have a cafe as well.

katarina
05-Aug-08, 10:40
A cafe, open late with a juke box like we used to have - and maybe a few slot machines would attract teenagers. A daytime one with an area set aside for kids, with say - a soft ball area - - you would have to have a bit extra to attract the trade - as well as good food of course.
There is plenty of empty premises in Wick at the moment and probably going cheap given the current market.

Melancholy Man
05-Aug-08, 10:47
Well, the Thurso idea went down as well as a Darth Vader suit at the Alderaan Veterans Association. It's more a bistro idea he has in mind; as I remember, Cardosi's in the closest to this. Wick, mobile vans or even restaurants remain open.

katarina
05-Aug-08, 10:56
Well, the Thurso idea went down as well as a Darth Vader suit at the Alderaan Veterans Association. It's more a bistro idea he has in mind; as I remember, Cardosi's in the closest to this. Wick, mobile vans or even restaurants remain open.

wasn't there a legal reason the chip van in the market square had to pack up and run? Something about the nerds gathering round it after hours and trouble breaking out. I may be wrong but it was and is sorely missed by the more law abiding citizens. Before you invest in a mobile check out the regulations.
Hey, how about an italian cafe? I love Cardosie's in thurso - bit pricey tho.
And REAL coffee. different types. Too many places just sell nescafe. I was most disappointed to find when i went abroad that even there that was all most cafes sold - because they think we brits love it!!! And me so looking forward to the REAL stuff.

Melancholy Man
05-Aug-08, 10:58
Of course real coffee! The idea of serving dessicated rabbit droppings hadn't even crossed my mind!

teenybash
05-Aug-08, 11:27
Wick could do with a cafe style eatery, despite takeaways aplenty. I still miss Cabrelli's which was a great meeting place with good food at reasonable prices.....nothing Wick has at the moment compares.

Thumper
05-Aug-08, 13:33
I think its a great idea,Thurso does have some good places to eat but as already said theres no place to go after 5,so if your mate would be prepared to open later I think he would make good business,the bistro idea sounds fab,especially if he does all the different coffee!I love cinnamon lattes and the surf cafe used to do them but not anymore,so anyone who does do them would get my custom ;).Perhaps a more cafe style during the day and then for evenings leaning more to a bistro would be the best idea.But of course there will always be those you wont please either way so its really up to your mate what way he decides to go with the venture!Either way I wish him luck so keep us posted on what happens please x

Gizmo
05-Aug-08, 13:51
wasn't there a legal reason the chip van in the market square had to pack up and run? Something about the nerds gathering round it after hours and trouble breaking out.

Haha...loving your typo there, the picture in my mind of a mob of nerds rampaging through Wick on a saturday night is rather amusing, an arguement over astro physics or Star Trek maybe?...lol, surely you mean Neds? :D

Melancholy Man
06-Aug-08, 14:16
Talkinmg with him, he may well come up to do a rekkie in a few weeks, as he's just sold one of his leases in Edinburgh. For Orgers there, he's the Turkish who currently runs the wee place on Morningside Road.

No, not the Yellow Cafe: they're Kurds from Hatay. No, not The Deli opposite the Canny Man's; he's another Kurd, from near the Iranian border. No, no, no, not the Morningside Deli by the Bank of Scotland; they're Kurds again. Same goes for the two Turkish barbers. He's at the Clock. And an ethnic Turkish, and there's always fun and games as rockets fire up and down the street with full scale military convoys.

Bad Manners
06-Aug-08, 15:53
Hi cafes are nice and if run well will thrive in most places however I would realy like to see a traditional ice cream parlour with seating area for snacks and light meals and of course the exceptional ice cream dessert.
would also do a good takeaway trade as well.
best of luck with whatever venture he embarks on

northener
06-Aug-08, 19:23
wasn't there a legal reason the chip van in the market square had to pack up and run? Something about the nerds gathering round it after hours and trouble breaking out. I may be wrong but it was and is sorely missed by the more law abiding citizens. Before you invest in a mobile check out the regulations.

I believe that the rules stipulated that the mobile could not operate within 200m of an established cafe/restaurant/takeaway. I think this was brought in after complaints from the local takeaways.

Johnny operates his burger van during the day outside Homebase, I'm sure that if he were able to pitch up outside the Waterfront on a Friday or Saturday night - he'd already be doing it.

MM, I wish your friend good luck, although I believe he may have his work cut out for him if he decides to open on an evening in Wick.
Even the Taxis find it very quiet Mon-Thu.

N.

canuck
07-Aug-08, 22:14
MM, is this the sort of thing you had in mind?

It was a lovely day to go exploring the streets of Edinburgh. The pouring rain just added to the ambiance!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/canuck6/DSC00186.jpg

http://forum.caithness.org/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/canuck6/?action=view&current=DSC00186.jpg%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3E%3 Cimg%20src=%22http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/canuck6/DSC00186.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobuc ket%22%3E%3C/a%3E

TBH
07-Aug-08, 23:39
Talkinmg with him, he may well come up to do a rekkie in a few weeks, as he's just sold one of his leases in Edinburgh. For Orgers there, he's the Turkish who currently runs the wee place on Morningside Road.

No, not the Yellow Cafe: they're Kurds from Hatay. No, not The Deli opposite the Canny Man's; he's another Kurd, from near the Iranian border. No, no, no, not the Morningside Deli by the Bank of Scotland; they're Kurds again. Same goes for the two Turkish barbers. He's at the Clock. And an ethnic Turkish, and there's always fun and games as rockets fire up and down the street with full scale military convoys.Are the ones with the yellow café, called Lemon Kurds?