PDA

View Full Version : Ticks

arana negra
04-Aug-08, 18:23
Our wee pup was limping yesterday and we found a mark in the inside of her shoulder. We doused it with medical alcohol (thats what they use here) just to clean it up in case of dirt. This morning she was still not using the leg so I had a good look at the area and found a tick head in it. I got rid of that and then found another tick on her.

My question is what do you pet owners use to prevent ticks ?

We use a medicated shampoo from the vet and an insecticide spray for her coat.

Thanks

Kathy@watten
04-Aug-08, 18:38
Frontline all the way is dearer than other stuff but keeps the wee blighters at bay! good luck with it!

gollach
04-Aug-08, 18:39
We chewed the fat on this quite recently ;)

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=52370

arana negra
04-Aug-08, 20:19
Thanks for your reply Kathy I have heard of Frontline.

Thanks for the link gollach, have read it through and will be looking for some treatments in next shopping trip.

Update on Scally, her leg has continued to improve, she is using it more now and seems to be much happier in herself. Wants to play and was chasing her ball for a minute or two this morning.

Now just waiting on her season to finish, in 3rd week now. ( some say 3 weeks other say 4 )

teenybash
06-Aug-08, 17:02
Glad, glad your puppy friend is feeling better and back to playful frollicks....nice to see them happy...............;)

arana negra
11-Aug-08, 08:02
Wee update, since removing the ticks and thinking all was well, on Thursday last week she stopped using the leg and was in some pain by evening. Friday morning visit to vet led to anti inflamatory injection and a course of tablets also to keep her clam no running around. The vet seemed to rule out the possibility of the tick having been the cause of inflamation although it is in the same place as the tick bite is. It had continued to improve since injection and seems to be stiff after being inactive for while.

Sandra_B
11-Aug-08, 15:26
I hate ticks, the sight of them makes me feel sick. I stepped on an engorged one with my bare feet the other week, it must have come off the cat (why couldn't it have fallen off her outside). I think someone here mentioned garlic tablets as a natural medicine to keep them off your animals. Hopefully someone can point you to that thread.

I hope your dog is feeling better soon.