PDA

View Full Version : security warning

bobandag16
04-Aug-08, 11:22
antivirus avg 2009 keeps butting . have deleted from programme. chcked scanned files.what else can ido windows xp shuts down as a precaution . then restarts.

jimbews
04-Aug-08, 14:27
antivirus avg 2009 keeps butting . have deleted from programme. chcked scanned files.what else can ido windows xp shuts down as a precaution . then restarts.

I think you'll find it is AV2009, not avg2009.

Google (av2009 OR av-2009) it and you'll find instructions to remove it.

It is classed as rogue antispyware and gives false warnings of infections to try to extract money from you.

I think that users of AVG were especially likely to accept it and assume it was an upgrade.

JimBews

poppett
04-Aug-08, 15:01
Thank you for that Jim. I had the same problem at the weekend, but it seems to have gone away now after following your advice. Very irritating and so similar I can see how folk would be confused.

Being a miser, if it costs money I don`t want it, so there was no hope of them getting money out of me.

bobandag16
06-Aug-08, 16:38
printed off page as suggested to follow instructions.

There is no listing of Antivirus 2009 on the registry.

Pop up still appearing on bottom right hand side of screen and pc closing down in middle of programmes for no reason.

Did manage to get a memo up to say "This programme can not be uninstalled"

Any further help greatfully received.

blueivy
08-Aug-08, 18:40
printed off page as suggested to follow instructions.

There is no listing of Antivirus 2009 on the registry.

Pop up still appearing on bottom right hand side of screen and pc closing down in middle of programmes for no reason.

Did manage to get a memo up to say "This programme can not be uninstalled"

Any further help greatfully received.

Did you manage to get rid of it?

bobandag16
09-Aug-08, 22:52
No I did not get rid of it yet. Still keeps closing me down in the middle of solitaire games, so not even on the internet some of the time. Have had to stop playing international on line scrabble because I keep losing the game in the middle, thus losing my ranking...... most annoying.

blueivy
12-Aug-08, 16:19
No I did not get rid of it yet. Still keeps closing me down in the middle of solitaire games, so not even on the internet some of the time. Have had to stop playing international on line scrabble because I keep losing the game in the middle, thus losing my ranking...... most annoying.

Okay. You need to find out EXACTLY what it's called (there was a bit of confusion earlier about AVG 2009 and Antivirus 2009 (which is likely)). Let me know (take screenshots if you have to as that would make it more clear).

What antivirus / antispyware are you using?

Deleting a few files won't get rid of this pest (nor most other modern day virus / spyware) as they are too clever for that. There are a number of steps you need to take or have a decent antivirus / antispyware software that will take all the steps for you.

bobandag16
13-Aug-08, 22:14
Okay. You need to find out EXACTLY what it's called (there was a bit of confusion earlier about AVG 2009 and Antivirus 2009 (which is likely)). Let me know (take screenshots if you have to as that would make it more clear).

What antivirus / antispyware are you using?

Deleting a few files won't get rid of this pest (nor most other modern day virus / spyware) as they are too clever for that. There are a number of steps you need to take or have a decent antivirus / antispyware software that will take all the steps for you.
solved by robin that you all for your help

Bobinovich
13-Aug-08, 23:26
Antivirus 2009, despite having been uninstalled, was still present (being the nasty malware program that it is). Once it was stopped using task manager (ended process), the antivirus2009 sub-folder of Program Files was deleted and the corresponding entry in the registry startup files deleted.