PDA

View Full Version : Dual the A9 Petition

jaykay
04-Aug-08, 10:19
Please use the link below if you wish to sign the petition to dual the A9.
http://www.dualthea9.com/ (http://www.dualthea9.com/)

Angel
04-Aug-08, 23:20
it may be fine to duel the a9 from our point of veiw living in Caithness... but when it happens, all the bad things that it will bring will make you wish you kept your mouth shut... look what happened when Tesco arrived...

Angel

jaykay
05-Aug-08, 07:18
What bad things arrived with Tesco that cost lives?

Welcomefamily
05-Aug-08, 07:46
What happened when Tescos arrived?

it may be fine to duel the a9 from our point of veiw living in Caithness... but when it happens, all the bad things that it will bring will make you wish you kept your mouth shut... look what happened when Tesco arrived...

Angel

bekisman
05-Aug-08, 09:42
Angel: "it may be fine to duel the a9 from our point of veiw living in Caithness... but when it happens, all the bad things that it will bring will make you wish you kept your mouth shut... look what happened when Tesco arrived..."

Quite agree Angel, it's terrible that Wick has no longer the most expensive fuel in Great Britain , it's terrible we've now got 20,000 lines of choice, it's terrible that Tesco do not shut on the 'local holiday' Monday or even lunchtimes OR Wednesday afternoon, it's terrible. It's terrible too that the A9 will be duelled and loss of life will be diminished..
Echo's of Eleanor Scott MSP Green party who said: (21st June 06 on her site): "Dualling the A9 will only worsen the problem by increasing the volume and speed of traffic, dualling the A9 will solve nothing. The last thing we need is bigger, faster roads which will simply encourage more driving, more carbon emissions and greater danger to pedestrians." Yes folks I kid you not, don't quite understand why being stuck on the A9 for hours pumping CO2 is better than an hour and a bit with the engine doing it's environmental best? Eleanor was also a signature against Tesco coming to Wick.
Oh yes forget to mention she lost her MSP position at the last election..

So come on Angel; tell us more

bekisman
05-Aug-08, 14:03
Even more intrigued now!

28th June: "My son is pestering me for a mobile phone he has seen at tesco and I was wondering what the coverage is like in the highlands especially caithness..."Angel

22nd May; "Bridgeend garage... Diesel £1.37... could not belive it..." Angel...

15th March 08: "The modern way of life is crawling up the A9... Tesco is something you recognise, a brite shining beacon, but it's the dark stuff in its trailer you should be afraid of..." Angel

2little2late
05-Aug-08, 14:15
Yeah come on angel. Please explain your comment.

TBH
05-Aug-08, 14:29
Even more intrigued now!

28th June: "My son is pestering me for a mobile phone he has seen at tesco and I was wondering what the coverage is like in the highlands especially caithness..."Angel

15th March 08: "The modern way of life is crawling up the A9... Tesco is something you recognise, a brite shining beacon, but it's the dark stuff in its trailer you should be afraid of..." AngelThe modern way of life, you have got to be kidding.[lol]

tommy1979
05-Aug-08, 15:00

Angel

By the way its the A9 from Perth to Inverness that will be duelled, nowt to do with caithness

poppett
05-Aug-08, 15:16
"Every little helps".............. that is as far as road improvements go.

gollach
05-Aug-08, 15:36
"Every little helps".............. that is as far as road improvements go.

Ha! Ha! Love it! :lol:

bish667
05-Aug-08, 15:44
Havent really read much into this but what exactly will be the benefits of turning the A9 into a dual carraigeway?

Fair enough there are a couple of sections that can sometimes cause slow moving traffic due to PEOPLE DRIVING MUCH TOO SLOW FOR THE CONDITION and there is no safe places to overtake in these areas.
I've never had much trouble getting to inverness in that bad a time.

Am i missing something here?

This is a genuine question. I really do not see what benefit the extra cost, not to mention the amount of roadworks that would cause so much more delays for a very long time.

bish667
05-Aug-08, 15:47
ok just read it properly and its the Perth - Inverness road.
So thats not as bad :lol:

Kenn
05-Aug-08, 21:13
No objections to the upgrading of the A9 Inverness to Perth would be good for it to be dual carriage way the full length.
What does worry me though is why so many of you are dueling about it and what are you fighting with? Claymores at dawn, haggis at midday,road rollers versus tarmac lorries?
Puts tongue back in cheek and goes sit in the corner.

TBH
05-Aug-08, 21:15
No objections to the upgrading of the A9 Inverness to Perth would be good for it to be dual carriage way the full length.
What does worry me though is why so many of you are dueling about it and what are you fighting with? Claymores at dawn, haggis at midday,road rollers versus tarmac lorries?
Puts tongue back in cheek and goes sit in the corner.Some are trying to force the modern world on us Lizz. That wouldn't do for the backward hicks of Caithness.

wifie
05-Aug-08, 21:50
Some are trying to force the modern world on us Lizz. That wouldn't do for the backward hicks of Caithness.

LOL! Speak for yersel TBH! ;)
Seriously though I was on the Perth - Inverness stretch today and we had a close call with someone turning onto the road - we don't know if he mis-judged or thought it was dual carriageway but luckily there was no-one behind us and we were able to slow down enough to get him on the correct side of the road before a catastrophe. We were passed by two ambulances and a doctor's car in the short space of time we were on the road. It was very busy due I suppose to it being holiday time but as I have said on this forum before the Perth to Aberdeen road is much less stressful to drive!
I should add that I am not in favour of dualing all the way to Caithness but then maybe I am just nostalgic and used to driving that road for many many years! :)

TBH
05-Aug-08, 21:54
LOL! Speak for yersel TBH! ;)
Seriously though I was on the Perth - Inverness stretch today and we had a close call with someone turning onto the road - we don't know if he mis-judged or thought it was dual carriageway but luckily there was no-one behind us and we were able to slow down enough to get him on the correct side of the road before a catastrophe. We were passed by two ambulances and a doctor's car in the short space of time we were on the road. It was very busy due I suppose to it being holiday time but as I have said on this forum before the Perth to Aberdeen road is much less stressful to drive!
I should add that I am not in favour of dualing all the way to Caithness but then maybe I am just nostalgic and used to driving that road for many many years! :)
Ach weel.
If it wisnae for the English
Where would we be?
We be in the dark ages
Without dounreay.

You would have a dose of the plague
or even Dysentry
If it wisnae for the sake
of the English.......[lol]

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
05-Aug-08, 21:56
Even more intrigued now!

15th March 08: "The modern way of life is crawling up the A9... Tesco is something you recognise, a brite shining beacon, but it's the dark stuff in its trailer you should be afraid of..." Angel

Well done Bekisman......plenty of heroes on here arguing about things that they have plainly contradicted themselves in previous posts....its written in black and white and yet people still protest!

PS - Go on Murdo (my cousin who's driving the matter in Holyrood)

TBH
05-Aug-08, 22:00
Well done Bekisman......plenty of heroes on here arguing about things that they have plainly contradicted themselves in previous posts....its written in black and white and yet people still protest!Where are the contradictions? I love a good enigma?

martin macdonald
05-Aug-08, 22:26
dont agree to dual the A9. speed is the killer, why make cars that go up to 180mph when the fastest you can go by law is 70mph? make all cars with a top speed of 70mph

TBH
05-Aug-08, 22:28
dont agree to dual the A9. speed is the killer, why make cars that go up to 180mph when the fastest you can go by law is 70mph? make all cars with a top speed of 70mphSensible suggestion and one I have always wondered.

golach
05-Aug-08, 22:37
dont agree to dual the A9. speed is the killer, why make cars that go up to 180mph when the fastest you can go by law is 70mph? make all cars with a top speed of 70mph
I have to agree, the A9 road is not the killer, its drivers who do not obey the speed limits that are to blame for the majority of deaths on this road.

wifie
05-Aug-08, 22:42
It is not necessarily the speed - more like the idiotic moves in the name of gettin there quicker! Dual carriageway gets rid of a lot of that! Mind you there are also some very slow people on the roads - some of whom should maybe not even be driving. This is a major cause of frustration and incites some of the idiocy!

Angel
05-Aug-08, 22:49
People tend to think, now, me and short term... Of course Tesco gives us choice and cheaper fuel... but it makes caithness nicer to live in for everyone... And I have seen what "the everyone" is. Of course you will get the nice people, but each one brings another then another and having to be PC we all say welcome...
If it gets that easy to get here all the rabble will come take advantage of the lovely and probably nieve people here then dissapear back south...
If you want all the nice things... expect the bad in the shadows...

Angel

joxville
05-Aug-08, 23:54
My brother is an ambulance driver based in Aviemore and hardly a month goes by where he's had to attend yet another accident on the A9. The problems with the road aren't always speed related-sometimes it's foreign tourists in the summer confused by it changing from single to dual and back to single. Most recently he had to attend 2 accidents in 7 days which resulted in 6 people dying.

Does someone want to tell the loved ones of those who perished why the road shouldn't be improved? Do you think the emergency services like going out and cleaning up after yet another crash involving loss of life?

TBH
06-Aug-08, 00:01
My brother is an ambulance driver based in Aviemore and hardly a month goes by where he's had to attend yet another accident on the A9. The problems with the road aren't always speed related-sometimes it's foreign tourists in the summer confused by it changing from single to dual and back to single. Most recently he had to attend 2 accidents in 7 days which resulted in 6 people dying.

Does someone want to tell the loved ones of those who perished why the road shouldn't be improved? Do you think the emergency services like going out and cleaning up after yet another crash involving loss of life?If the foreigners drove on the right, i.e, left, side of the road that would be a help.

bekisman
06-Aug-08, 11:41
One of the reasons for accidents is tiredness - many times we've driven over the 'hump' (Perth to Inverness) late at night or in the early hours of the morning, watching lorries and sometimes cars drifting across the road, what to do? well in any other non-backwater they'd turn off into a service station for a refreshment break. But nope, the A9 is a 'unique' road in that over the 100 miles+ the only alternative is to turn off the road and into a 'by-passed' community, and are they open?.

A long time ago when the A9 was upgraded it was a condition that no refreshment / service stations would be constructed upon the A9 'for 20 years' - to allow the by-passed communities to adjust to any perceived loss of business. Then 20 years later it was on the Highland Council agenda again,
Report No. A92/03 dated 31 October 2003 by the Director of Planning and Development:
'Those in support of the Working Group’s recommendations were of the view that road safety was paramount when determining the level of road side services for the A9.' + 'The number of roadside rest areas should be increased, with information, toilets, light refreshments and picnic facilities provided generally at 25 mile intervals.' + 'Opening up the A9 to larger and more numerous commercial services could have a severe economic impact on local services, by undermining the viability of local businesses, particularly petrol filling stations.'

But: 'Other Members spoke in favour of opening up the entire length of the A9 to the possibility of commercial facilities. While they sympathised with the plight of by-passed communities, they were of the view that the Working Group had ignored the wishes of road users who would want convenient access to roadside services without the need for diversions off the main route. Failure to do this could in turn have road safety implications as a result of road users failing to take breaks on long journeys, due to the lack of easy access to services.'

As an Amendment, Mr J Macdonald, seconded by Mr J Gray, moved that the A9 be opened up to the possibility of commercial development, in the interests of Road Safety, Road Users and Tourism.
On a vote being taken, the outcome was as follows:The AMENDMENT was CARRIED by 14 votes to 12.
Decision: It was therefore AGREED that the A9 be opened up to the possibility of commercial development, in the interests of Road Safety, Road Users and Tourism.
So what happened since that decision of 2003? They had another meeting and it decided to ignore the Police, road safety, transport organisations and continue with the 'Nope, you can't stop on the A9, you've got to turn off the road, although it's late and everything's closed, you'll have the distinction of being on the ONLY main trunk route in the British Isles that does not have services actually on it."
What happens? most folks just drive on exhausted, wondering why every other UK road has 'bypassed' communities, but somehow the Highlands is 'different'

Angela
06-Aug-08, 12:24

Does someone want to tell the loved ones of those who perished why the road shouldn't be improved? Do you think the emergency services like going out and cleaning up after yet another crash involving loss of life?

I don't think it's only foreign tourists that get confused, joxville, although I've no doubt that they do.... and I don't blame them! Sometimes the problems are caused by plain bad driving though.

We were travelling on the A9 between Perth and Blair Atholl the Sunday just after these two dreadful accidents.

We were behind another car, driving at the speed limit. Just as we approached a bend to the right on a stretch of single carriageway- with double white lines in the middle of the road -we were overtaken. Since we couldn't see round the bend, neither could the driver overtaking both us and the car in front.

He made it -only just. :eek: There was a long line of approaching traffic. A few seconds difference and there would have been a major accident.

When we reached the car park at Falls of Bruar...guess who was parked there? [evil] So for the sake of saving a few minutes on an afternoon out, that driver had risked other people's lives.

Dualling wouldn't make people better drivers of course, but it might stop some of the serious accidents caused by folk who are so impatient they don't think or care about anybody else.

router
06-Aug-08, 13:36

agree 100% it's the drivers not the road,speed, impatience some are just downright loonies with no respect for others safety.put in two lanes just gives more space to bomb it.

as for the big stores moving in the same happened in my home town.
the town was bypassed with a nice new road.over the years a lot of the local shops have closed down.it used to be a bustling town centre with shops selling all sorts,now a lot of them are boarded up and run down,with all the buisness going to kilmarnock area where all the big stores are.
sadly all i can say now is my home town centre is now a dump!
along with the other towns further up the same valley....