PDA

View Full Version : I get booted if phone rings???

unicorn
04-Aug-08, 09:51
I am mystified by my broadband problem, If my phone rings I get booted and it reconnects and then I get booted again when I hang up.
This has been going on for a while and I thought it was my provider and I was not happy with them anyway so changed but still got the problem.
I now have modem plugged into main socket but it makes no difference. We have tried all different filters no difference.
I thought it may be the extension so bypassed it as when we used extension and put filter in main socket we could get broadband through extension but not phone??
I seem to have a very strange problem. I would get engineer out but it seems the charge is horrendous and I want to be sure it is a line problem. I am using a different modem also and this has not cleared problem and I am plagued with a crackly line.

unicorn
04-Aug-08, 09:56
That said I just tried to make a call got engaged tone hung up and didnt get booted, it makes no sense.

NickInTheNorth
04-Aug-08, 10:01
Hi unicorn, is the phone noisy if plugged straight into the main socket with no filters or extensions?

If so that sounds like a line problem, ring and ask BT to test the line. They do that remotely and there's no charge.

unicorn
04-Aug-08, 10:27
It is intermittent so sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't, last time they tested they heard the noise but said an engineer could come out but the problem could still be internal and if it is it will cost up to £185 which put me off as I had engineer in about 2 years ago about same problem and he said its your internet or your digital phones and left without doing anything else and I was billed for it. I bought new phones, new filters and still had problem.

ks
04-Aug-08, 10:38
Your main socket will probably be a line box which means the bottom half will unscrew to reveal a test socket inside, try 2 different phones or a phone someone else has tested for you and if it is still crackling it means the fault is on the line not internal.

Moonboots
04-Aug-08, 11:14
Try what KS has suggested and if the problem is still happeneing then it is definately a line problem. It sounds to my that your line is either a DACS line or the line is split somewhere.