PDA

View Full Version : Charity

hits
25-Jun-03, 01:31
I am looking for feedback or any support for a new project I am hoping to have up by the end of the week, it is currently running but no widley advertised as yet.

I have set up a site as an initiative to encourage companies, employees and individuals with professional IT skills to volunteer these skills for the benefit of local charities and community groups.

You could be a volunteer as a company or an individual ...

Whether your expertise is in spreadsheets or search engines ...

YOU can make a real difference to your local community.

The site will show you how to get started, find a charity, ask for support for your charity

If you are a charity or non profit making oraganisation or even someone that could offer support in any of the following Database / website / IT audit / training / technical support / advice / consultancy / audit/strategy/networking.

Please drop me a line on ts.ellis@members.v21.co.uk

[/url]

hits
25-Jun-03, 10:39
So far I have managed to recruit 2 volunteers and several charities looking for support, and the web site should be set up shortly

Mr P Cannop
25-Jun-03, 11:03
FAO hits

i have lots of spare time so i can give my you my time to help you out if thats ok ??

hits
25-Jun-03, 11:09
I will post here as soon as the site is up so that volunteers can register

Mr P Cannop
25-Jun-03, 11:17
hits

so is that ok ??

jjc
25-Jun-03, 12:05
Just a quick question, Hits.

I've seen this kind of setup before, where IT people volunteer their assistance to those in need of advice. However, when I have come across it before the sites have always insisted that those giving advice take out their own corporate liability insurance (up to the tune of £1m in the last case I looked at).

This was to ensure that nobody would be bankrupted if, say, they advised an organisation to patch their Sun server and the patch wiped out their ability to trade for the best part of a week... I certainly wouldn't want to have to foot that bill myself.

Would you require volunteers to take out their own insurance or are you covering this somehow in the terms and conditions of use?

hits
25-Jun-03, 12:25
I will be incorperating this within the TOS, so no insurance will be needed

hits
25-Jun-03, 12:31
the TOS will be along the line of

It is the responsibility of any charity working with a volunteer to ensure that the volunteer is appropriate to the needs of their organisation and that the volunteer has no liability to the project. Scot IT or the volunteer has no responsibility for any loss or damage howsoever arising from any act or omission of the volunteer the charity selects. Acceptance of these terms is a pre-condition to submitting a request for assistance.

hits
25-Jun-03, 12:42
The latest is that I have managed to get a spot on the Scotland charity newsletter with about 4000 subscribers, and also a spont on MFR, so hopefully this wil help increase this.

I am also looking for someone to help out with the administration of this, not too much as most of it should be donw via the web site, just to update the site with the latest requestes and projects etc.....mail e if you are intersted

Mr P Cannop
25-Jun-03, 12:54
hits may i join your newsletter Please ??

hits
25-Jun-03, 14:42
I have nearly finished the site, just odds and end from the back end it can be viewed here http://www.scotindex.co.uk

hits
26-Jun-03, 09:29
We now have several Charities looking for support, and volunteers also

hits
26-Jun-03, 21:37
Does anyone else have any suggestions of free advertisment for this site, to make charities and volunteers aware.

I have spoke to the regional charities and will hopefully be addeded into their newsletter, as the goverment have not been of any use to me so far.

Mr P Cannop
27-Jun-03, 06:26
Hi could I volunteer ??

would this be in Thurso ??

hits
27-Jun-03, 11:15
Have you been to the site?

Mr P Cannop
27-Jun-03, 11:30
yes

why ??

do i have to sign up ??

hits
27-Jun-03, 11:33
Yes but i see you already have

Mr P Cannop
27-Jun-03, 11:39
so what do i do next ??

jjc
27-Jun-03, 12:20
To be fair to Mr. P. Cannop, the 'Current Opportunities' page had an error on it until this morning so it was impossible to see who to volunteer with...

Mr P Cannop
27-Jun-03, 12:24
has that been sorted out now ??

jjc
27-Jun-03, 12:28
Seems like it, yup.

hits
29-Jun-03, 18:59
You will need to register in order to see the links and need to mail admin through the inbox before you are able to see the current opppertumities.

Also there should be a dozen or so support requests being posted next week

t
11-Jul-03, 14:33
The website is complete and up and runnig just looking for volunteers now, have several the more the better, and if you know a charity looking for support let them know about http://www.scotindex.co.uk