PDA

View Full Version : Well done Andy Murray

Kenn
03-Aug-08, 23:18
Delighted he has won his first ATP Masters and with great maturity.love hum or loathe him he sure has talent.
Here.s hoping that he continues to improve and attains his dream of becoming No.1

Anne x
03-Aug-08, 23:37
Just great cannot believe it followed the boy from a bairn all credit to judy
brilliant tonight

Amy-Winehouse
03-Aug-08, 23:41
I hate him, hes an arrogant anti Enlish Bigot. But tonight credit where its due-he did well & finally started to deliver the promise. He`ll have to go some to win Wimbledon though.

Well done Murray

Metalattakk
04-Aug-08, 00:29
I hate him, hes an arrogant anti Enlish Bigot.

"No he's not, he's a very naughty boy!"

hotrod4
04-Aug-08, 07:12
" go go andy Murray" (sung to the power Rangers theme!!)

I dont like he's tarred with the "anti-English" tag.
His Statements were taken completely out of context and he has admitted that it can be taken the wrong way. He's A young lad who is learning how to play the game and also how to play the "press game" to.

below is a qoute from Andy:
"I Want to say that I'm not anti-English!

"I have supported Tim [Henman] the last 10 years and he is English! Ricky Hatton is one of my favourite boxers and he is English.

"I said I think England will beat Portugal in my press conference!

"I made a joke, I don't mind whether England win or lose!"

Lets leave the "bigot" thing in the past and concentrate on his Tennis!!!!

scotsboy
04-Aug-08, 08:52
Just great cannot believe it followed the boy from a bairn all credit to judy
brilliant tonight

.......and I am sure she will take it. Fair play to Andy Murray, but I think it is about time his mother took a step back.

Welcomefamily
04-Aug-08, 09:37
Well done, its about time.

Anne x
04-Aug-08, 10:15
.......and I am sure she will take it. Fair play to Andy Murray, but I think it is about time his mother took a step back.

I think you may find she already has !!! What I meant was she developed his talents and Jaimies from a very young age and like any other mum in the land deserves to be proud of both her sons they are playing doubles for team U K at the Olympics
Judy Murray does a amazing job with the youngsters in tennis in Scotland

cd1977
04-Aug-08, 16:28
If the Pimms quaffing, elitist snobs who attend Wimbledon dislike Andy Murray for his comments regarding the English football team then let them lash at it. It's a jealousy thing on their part as Tiger Tim's career achievments have been eclipsed in two years by a 21 year old Scotsman.

percy toboggan
04-Aug-08, 17:47
I just wish he'd cheer up a bit and keep his mouth shut sometimes when he wind a point. I don't really need to see him flexing his biceps again either. He's a very ordinary looking gadge with a lot of tennis talent.

Most English people will roar him on at Wimbledon because they are generally decent & fair...even the middle classes! At least he generates interest for more than two weeks per year. It's alleged.

golach
04-Aug-08, 19:15
Delighted he has won his first ATP Masters and with great maturity.love hum or loathe him he sure has talent.
Here.s hoping that he continues to improve and attains his dream of becoming No.1
And well done his big brother also, and their Mum, she must be proud of her boys.

-whitewall-
04-Aug-08, 19:31

too late, she was all over the news today like a cheap whistle.

tommy1979
05-Aug-08, 15:10
I hate him, hes an arrogant anti Enlish Bigot

lighten up, he is a young lad with a lot of expectation on his shoulders, he may have made a silly off the cuff remark ages ago but to say he is an anti-english bigot is way off the mark :roll:

scorrie
11-Aug-08, 19:24
Just so we can avoid the "Only sing when you're winning" jibes. Can I just point out that Andy Murray was knocked out in the first round of the Olympic Singles, by a Chinese Taipei player ranked 74 in the world. Pretty poor effort.

Kenn
11-Aug-08, 19:45
Did you watch the match scorrie?
The young man posted stats that were better than some of those posted by the world's top three players to beat Murray.
At least some recompense though as The Murray Brothers put out the world's number one in the doubles.

Whitewater
11-Aug-08, 21:56
He has all the shots to be great but he has to get his finger out of his bum and stop farting around when he plays players of a lower ranking. He should be ashamed of himself for the way he payed today and let Britain as well as himself down so badly.

scorrie
11-Aug-08, 22:08
Did you watch the match scorrie?
The young man posted stats that were better than some of those posted by the world's top three players to beat Murray.
At least some recompense though as The Murray Brothers put out the world's number one in the doubles.

I saw enough of the match to know that Murray was playing garbage. I don't know what stats you are talking about but Lu made 67 unforced errors according to the review of the match in The Independent Online:-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lu admitted afterwards that all he had expected to gain from playing here was some experience. The 24-year-old has been playing Challenger events for much of the year and in his 14 appearances at Grand Slam tournaments has won only three matches, all in the first round.

It was a ragbag of a match - Murray made 62 unforced errors and Lu 67 - in which both players struggled to hold serve. Murray in particular was regularly caught out by the power of Lu's returns, especially on his second serve."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think Federer and Nadal are going to be stocking up on the Imodium after watching Lu today ;)

Welcomefamily
11-Aug-08, 22:30
It was a close thing in the pairs as well.

Kenn
11-Aug-08, 22:48
Here is a Scot who is now ranked six in the world and all you seem to be able to do is put him down,all players have off days in case you had n't noticed the top four having all been beaten in recent weeks.
Quite frankly I don't understand ,well may be it's a touch of "The Monday Blues," expectations not being fulfilled and general grumping in view of the disapointment.

Anne x
11-Aug-08, 23:25
Today he was lethargic and whatever!!!
quote scorrie 73 actually the guy was 77 in the world no body more sick than team GB and Scotland

And no a mother in site !!!

the doubles they did well but have a terrible draw and will have to regroup and heads down to progress all the very best to them

cd1977
12-Aug-08, 08:42
I think it's obvious to anyone with half a brain that he had no intention of winning the match and was glad to be knocked out.

There are far more important matters on the horizon - the US open. The Olympics are simply an abhorrent spectacle and the sooner he gets out of there the better.

Kevin Milkins
12-Aug-08, 09:16
All sportsmen like and need support from the public to help give them the edge.
As an unbiased sports fan this young man has done nothing to inspire me to want to watch him ,let alone support him.:confused

tommy1979
12-Aug-08, 17:40
All sportsmen like and need support from the public to help give them the edge.
As an unbiased sports fan this young man has done nothing to inspire me to want to watch him ,let alone support him.:confused

so the fact that he is from the UK is not enough of a reason? so he is a moody so and so or not "establishment" but should we care?, the fact that he is good at a game where historically we are mince at should be enough to get behind him

scorrie
12-Aug-08, 18:08
quote scorrie 73 actually the guy was 77 in the world

Not that it matters, but I merely repeated the ranking given by the BBC reporter. It appears that the rankings actually changed yesterday and Murray's nemesis dropped three places from the previous week. That still makes the BBC "expert" wrong but that's not exactly earth shattering news.

Did anyone see the farce in the women's gymnastics? It was supposed to be a straight fight between France and GB for the 8th (and last) qualifying spot in the team event. The coverage concentrated solely on the French girls until it became obvious that they had scored plenty to eliminate the GB lassies. Only then did they pick up the fact that the Brazilian lassies were looking a bit worried and one of them had just had a horrendous routine. Farcical scenes followed as the BBC experts admitted they had no idea how the Brazilians had been scoring in their final event. Eventually it became clear that they had scored way less than France and for a while the BBC numpties even entertained the idea that GB might have sneaked past Brazil into the Final. At the end of a painful bit of TV it emerged that Japan were, in fact, the team who came closest to letting GB in at the backdoor and we never heard a word about them or how they were getting on. With the huge team the BBC have at the games, it was pathetic to watch.

Anyway, back to Andy Murray. I don't know why Lizz has him placed on a pedestal above criticism. I think we have the right to expect commitment from our competitors at the games. I would rather see a lesser player try their heart out than watch someone going through the motions and playing like a prize puddin.

percy toboggan
12-Aug-08, 18:35
Murray is a non-pleasant watch. A morose bloke too for a young 'un with plenty to be positive about. I'm glad I'm not related to him...if I were we'd fall out. He needs to redeem himself in the 'doubles' otherwise his more exuberant , easy going Brother might regret their relationship too.

Kevin Milkins
12-Aug-08, 18:36
so the fact that he is from the UK is not enough of a reason? so he is a moody so and so or not "establishment" but should we care?, the fact that he is good at a game where historically we are mince at should be enough to get behind him

Dont missunderstand me here. When he played at Wimbleton I did watch him play and I am not a big tennis fan.
Gordan Brown as our leader does nowt to excite me either so I choose not do listen to him droll on,where as Borris Johnson I find interesting, funny and stimulating to listen to.
If Andy Murray wants me to watch him play tennis he will have to be just a bit more than just a good tennis player.

TBH
12-Aug-08, 18:59
Dont missunderstand me here. When he played at Wimbleton I did watch him play and I am not a big tennis fan.
Gordan Brown as our leader does nowt to excite me either so I choose not do listen to him droll on,where as Borris Johnson I find interesting, funny and stimulating to listen to.
If Andy Murray wants me to watch him play tennis he will have to be just a bit more than just a good tennis player.
He is vastly more superior in ability than Henman Or Rusedski ever were but Vastly inferior to the likes of Nadal so what you see is what you get.

Kenn
12-Aug-08, 19:08
I do not have Murray placed on a pedestal ,my comments were aimed at those who deride the best tennis player Scotland has ever produced and of whom we should be proud whether or not we like his personality.

percy toboggan
12-Aug-08, 19:13
I do not have Murray placed on a pedestal ,my comments were aimed at those who deride the best tennis player Scotland has ever produced and of whom we should be proud whether or not we like his personality.
Methinks you damn him with feint praise.....or should that be faint? I always get those two mixed up.

He is a very good player, but needs to develop as a human being before the public embrace him. If he doesn't care then he's fair game. I'm not against truculence or an unwillingness to play the media game but I'd just like him to say something of merit now and again instead of constant introspection. I hear he had a pop at a ball-boy the other day for not passing him his towel quickly enough. The guy seems up himself.

canuck
12-Aug-08, 19:13
but, but, but - in the pairs they defeated the Canadians, probably our only medal hope in the games. :~(

scotsboy
12-Aug-08, 19:14
Was his mum on the telly to explain his defeat?

TBH
12-Aug-08, 19:14
I do not have Murray placed on a pedestal ,my comments were aimed at those who deride the best tennis player Scotland has ever produced and of whom we should be proud whether or not we like his personality.Personally I don't give a four x about his personality.
He either does the business or he does not. It is after all just a game and whether he wins or loses won't make any real difference to my life.
I remember a certain football player called Marco Negri, a very prolific goalscorer, the one question mark over him according to the papers was that he didn't smile or look remotely happy when he scored. If personality is all they are worried about then.....[lol]

Kenn
12-Aug-08, 19:15
Ok so he throws the odd tantrum but what about McEnroe who went on to be one of the most respected players ..."You cannot be serious," Percy

percy toboggan
12-Aug-08, 19:16
Was his mum on the telly to explain his defeat?
At least he wasn't on the blower to his Mum between sets! Not like that pillock in the trunks.I'm not surprised the young kid had a pop...speaking of whom what a mess the media are trying to make of this virtual infant.
Leave the lad alone for Christ's sake.

Kevin Milkins
12-Aug-08, 19:22

I am not to clever at putting my opinion across, so I will have another bash.:confused
If Andy Murray was the world champion at tennis ,he still does not do a lot to float my boat. I do not deride him and I wish him as a fellow Brit all the success in the world , but I hope that he does not get offended if I don't choose not to buy a ticket to watch him play any time soon. :confused

Anne x
12-Aug-08, 19:31
Scotsboy no a mither to be seen!!! are you hung up on Judy ? No a parent in sight at this olympics

Im away on a tangent again he has the talent serve volley etc he has the game just has not got the killer instinct 24/7 or the heid to keep it that way

On a good day he defeats the best then looses it big time
he is a good player but just needs that bit of dedication and commitment all the time

he is Scotlands No 1 whatever and team GB No 1 always 2012 to look forward to and of course the US open in 2 weeks

scotsboy
12-Aug-08, 19:36
I think Murray is a good tennis player, I think he is unfortunate to be around the same time as Nadal who is a great tennis player. I hope Murray does well.

I can't stand his mother, she may do a lot for youth tennis in Scotland, but I never hear her talking about it when she is interviewed, she only wants to talk about Andrew.

scorrie
12-Aug-08, 19:55

Objection overruled. Andy Murray could win Wimbledon for ten years in a row and if he behaved like a tit, he would still fail to have my admiration. That is not the point in this instance though. I get a bit fed up hearing all the shouting about people/teams doing well and then observing the deathly silence when they are rubbish. I am not convinced Andy gave it his best shot. That is fair enough in Masters and Grand Slam events but at the Olympics he is representing his team and his country. I feel that he let both down with a lacklustre effort against a lowly ranked player.

Kenn
12-Aug-08, 20:21
I claim the 5th ammendment!

scorrie
12-Aug-08, 20:50
I have found out why Murray lost. As my exclusive photo from Murray's training session before the Olympics shows, Andy suffered an accident that led to him losing two essential components for a successful showing ;)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/andymurray.jpg

Big Jean
12-Aug-08, 22:25
but, but, but - in the pairs they defeated the Canadians, probably our only medal hope in the games. :~(

Yes, they did, and yes, it was .

Saying that, Nestor and Niemeyer are a combined 25 years older than the Murray brothers . Which means ..... perhaps age does make a big difference in these games .
We sent our best, they won the first set, and congratulations to the Murray boys for winning the match . I think they all played well .

Anne x
04-Sep-08, 00:47
Well done Andy Murray reaching semis at U S open bleary eyed watcher 12.48 and good luck to Jamie in mixed doubles final

tonkatojo
04-Sep-08, 08:50
Ther must be money involved EH! , pity he couldnt do it at the OLYMPICS when it was just for national pride.

cd1977
04-Sep-08, 09:54
Well in Andy.

And to the loser lovers on Radio 5 live (Henman was never fit to lace Murray's boots) - get it right up ye!

Nadal is carrying an injury so there is hope of his first final appearance and he's into the top four in the world now.

weeboyagee
04-Sep-08, 10:16
I hate him, hes an arrogant anti Enlish Bigot
Nah - he's no bigot. He corrected the press quite scornfully when addressed as British, saying that he wasn't British he was Scottish. My thoughts exactly.

What he was really trying to say was that he isn't English. :D

Another wee point where being Scottish is grabbed as being British if it favours the media moguls when he wins, and being English means being just that when they win.

Wasn't heard of during the Olympics - was it ;)

WBG :cool:

Amy-Winehouse
04-Sep-08, 13:14
I just saw murray on the sky sports news, whoever his opponent was, well he started giving the interview & broke down in tears. I believe he was an Argentine but nevertheless I felt sorry for him even if he & Murray dont get on.
A bit of a downer for him but Murray marches on , cant see him beat Nadal as he is so strong & powerful & in not bad form.

Anne x
07-Sep-08, 23:05
OMG he has done it beating Nadal into Final a scotsman in U S Open final omg
personal note Betty the boy did well

Welcomefamily
07-Sep-08, 23:06
Well played Andy Murray, he played brillant

golach
Well Done Andy

Venture
The boy did well. What a fantastic match. A well deserved win.

Anne x
07-Sep-08, 23:08
Omg ON CLOUD NINE

Kenn
07-Sep-08, 23:09
Whew I'm exhausted just watching that over two days.Well done Andy Murray.

Angela
07-Sep-08, 23:10
Oh my word! Well done Andy!:D:D

tommy1979
08-Sep-08, 00:37
excellent win for oor Andy :cool:

wifie
08-Sep-08, 08:55
Yay - they even played Runrig "Dance Called America" on Radio 2 this morning! (Aye one idiot dancin round the room bein transported back to Inverness in the 80s!) Well done Andy Murray!

ett23
08-Sep-08, 10:00
Good on ya Andy. Apparently it's the first time in a decade a brit has made it to the US final and if he wins it'll be the first time in 22 years!! :cool:

mama2
08-Sep-08, 10:03
Well what can I say...........that was the best tennis Andy Murray has ever played it was a fantastic match with some fantastic points from both players. Like him or not everyone should be proud of what he has acheived so far in his tennis career. I wish him the best of luck for tonight, if he has any chance of winning he has to play like he did the last 2 days.

candyfloss
08-Sep-08, 10:47
I never thought he would beat Nadal, but OMG he did it :cool:
I'd love to watch the final tonight but i don't think i'll manage to stay awake that long :eek:

Amy-Winehouse
08-Sep-08, 11:18
Credit where its due, Murray was excellent last night . I was surprised he could see the ball to hit it as they were coming so fast from Nadal that they were swerving in flight!! Awesome stuff

northener
08-Sep-08, 18:44
Well done Andy! Nice to see an English tennis player doing so well.

Melancholy Man
08-Sep-08, 18:59
<Wanders into thread>

Wo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!

<Wanders out of thread>

Anne x
08-Sep-08, 19:13
Good on ya Andy. Apparently it's the first time in a decade a brit has made it to the US final and if he wins it'll be the first time in 22 years!! :cool:

72 yrs ett since Fred Perry in 1936
good luck to Andy tonight he can only do his best as long as he plays well and tries

Ricco
08-Sep-08, 19:47
Wonderful stuff from Andy. Wish him every success tonight.

Tristan
08-Sep-08, 21:17
Good luck to Andy.

Was listening to the BBC down in England today and even they made the joke "oh is he British or Scottish now" :lol:

Anne x
09-Sep-08, 00:33
Ah well the dream for GB and Scot over but he will get a slam eventually rolll on Masters and Australian open

Melancholy Man
09-Sep-08, 00:50
Ye-e-e-e-e-e-ah!

<exits again>

northener
09-Sep-08, 08:05
Oh well. Not a good day for the plucky Scottish player.

wifie
09-Sep-08, 08:09
Could be worse the day if that Collidin' thing works (or disna)! :eek:

Venture
09-Sep-08, 08:19
That's tomorrow wifie.;)

tonkatojo
09-Sep-08, 08:43
AH well $1,000,000 in your back pocket not bad EH ? better than a cheap n chatty OLYMPIC medal and national glory

Melancholy Man
09-Sep-08, 10:12
Oh well. Not a good day for the plucky Scottish player.

Of sweet merciful Jesus, you know not what you have said!!!

Kenn
09-Sep-08, 10:29
Well the dream was denied but congratulations to Murray ,Federer was not to be beaten this time!

wifie
09-Sep-08, 11:29
That's tomorrow wifie.;)

Aye I realise that now Venture ta! Off to post on the "old age" thread! :~(

scorrie
09-Sep-08, 12:18
I knew Murray was going to lose, the moment John McEnroe tipped him to win!! Not sure who the wifie doing the co-commentary was, but she talked nonsense about it being impossible to have a favourite for the match with so little to choose between the two players. Bookmakers had Federer a red-hot 4/9 favourite for the tie, hardly surprising given his record of 12 Grand Slam titles compared to Murray's none. John McEnroe predicted that Murray would be heavily involved in every game where Federer was serving. I watched the first two Federed service games and Murray never had a sniff. I went to my kip.

Murray did an excellent job to get as far as he did but I think it is a bit of a shame that the papers are shouting of Andy being at the top of the world and detailing the "Team" that got him there. It seems a bit brash and premature considering that the Final was still to come and Murray ended up being resoundly crushed. A bit more patience and a little less expectation should be the order of the day for a man who is still young.

buggyracer
15-Nov-08, 00:44
the lads not doing to badly now :eek::lol:;)

Anne x
15-Nov-08, 00:55
Aye doing really well world No 4

This weekend the Masters finals to go yet but the boy is tired what a year for him he has fufilled his expectations and more
The money the LTA invested in him has been repaid over and over again and he has proven it with his world rankings if he remains injury free well who knows he has taken on the best and beaten them bring on the rest

What a exciting year ahead with the Aussie open in Jan 09

percy toboggan
15-Nov-08, 09:35
I've criticised Murray in the past but it would be churlish not to recognise his acheivements of late. He is becoming a rival to the best in the world and may eventually claim that accolade himself.

We are all different, individuals with individual ways and traits...he's not my idea of a charismatic sportsman but he is blessed with supreme talent.

Anne x
16-Nov-08, 02:28
Final not to be at the Masters he was exhausted !all the best for next year to our Scot / Brit No 1 and World No 4 injury free hopefully for 09