PDA

View Full Version : Caithness does it again

Kenn
03-Aug-08, 09:50
Having just spent two weeks in the county I managed a list of over 70 positive indentifications with a few yet to be resolved.
Top of the list were, puffins,artic terns,shell ducks,bramblings,an amazing aerial display by no less than five buzzards,peregrine falcon,gannets and yet more puffins.
Sadly did not see any hen harriers this time but no complaints as the rest of the feathered world as always put on an amazing display.
Once again many thanks to our friends and acquaintances who gave the relevant information for us to see some of these birds and make it such a special trip.

the_count
06-Aug-08, 02:21
Awww lizz i was looking for a list so i could check i got em ticked off lol getting 70 in a day up here is good going :lol:

kas
10-Aug-08, 21:34
Glad to you know you got such a good amount on your trip up.:):)

Kenn
18-Jan-09, 11:32
Having just returned from a four week stay, am happy to report that once again our feathered friends put on a good show and many thanks to those who helped identify a few that had us perplexed.
New sitings for me were the following.
1.Widgeon at Thurso and Dunnet Bay.
2.Long Tailed Duck, Dunnet Bay
3.Red Breasted Merganser, Thurso,Dunnet,Sandside and a couple on the east coast.
4.Whooper Swans, St John's Loch and Westerdale.
5.Black Guillemot, Scrabster
6.Goosander
7.Common Gull,Dunnet Bay.
8.Scaup, Ham.
I was pleasantly surprised by the number of Herons, they seemed to be fishing almost every bay between Thurso and Duncansby.
Delighted to spot the Smew at Scrabster, what an elegant bird and although they are not uncommon here on the south coast I was thrown by the fact that I had not expected to see one so far north.
Did spot a few Fieldfares but sadly no Redwings and recorded some sixty species during our stay.