PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames

squareman
02-Aug-08, 21:02
Why is it, that the majority of people on the Wick side of the county are known to others by their nickname ? One or two strange names come to mind ! :)

TBH
02-Aug-08, 21:28
Maybe they don't like their given names?

dragonfly
02-Aug-08, 21:31
suppose its a case of grandfather, father, son all have same name so to differentiate they get given a nickname

TBH
02-Aug-08, 21:35
suppose its a case of grandfather, father, son all have same name so to differentiate they get given a nickname
Beeg Chon, little Chon and wee Chon.:D

Kathy@watten
02-Aug-08, 21:37
A definate Caithness thing nicknames and the calling of folk by names other than their birth given names, i know a bob who is actually a George, a Rab who is really John and various other individuals who were even called by their nicknames at school I was unaware that some of these were not indeed their real names until attending their weddings! The shortening of names is commonplace and variations of a name within a family is really common....how else whould we know which David we were refering to in our household of 4 of the critters!

TBH
02-Aug-08, 21:39
A definate Caithness thing nicknames and the calling of folk by names other than their birth given names, i know a bob who is actually a George, a Rab who is really John and various other individuals who were even called by their nicknames at school I was unaware that some of these were not indeed their real names until attending their weddings! The shortening of names is commonplace and variations of a name within a family is really common....how else whould we know which David we were refering to in our household of 4 of the critters!Caithness has got to be the best place in God's own country, for nicknames.

golach
02-Aug-08, 21:39
I was told that there are so many Sinclair's, Gunn's, McKay's, and Sutherland's families in Caithness, that the need to identify each family a by-name was introduced, and sticks all way down the generations

teenybash
02-Aug-08, 21:42
Suppose it's better than Glasgow where everyone is known as Jimmy.......even the women [lol]

TBH
02-Aug-08, 21:42
I was told that there are so many Sinclair's, Gunn's, McKay's, and Sutherland's families in Caithness, that the need to identify each family a by-name was introduced, and sticks all way down the generationsTell it like it is Golach.

Cattach
02-Aug-08, 21:46
Caithness has got to be the best place in God's own country, for nicknames.

Happens just about everywhere and is particularly common in the fishing communities of Scotland. All around our coast we have places which were once settled by names common to that area and he only way to know who one was taking about was to give a by-name or nickname. It then spread outwith those areas and often became nicknames to distinguish peple or to insult people, etc.

TBH
02-Aug-08, 21:48
Happens just about everywhere and is particularly common in the fishing communities of Scotland. All around our coast we have places which were once settled by names common to that area and he only way to know who one was taking about was to give a by-name or nickname. It then spread outwith those areas and often became nicknames to distinguish peple or to insult people, etc.I'm not saying it is peculiar to Caithness but ask anyone who has had the pleasure if Living there, if you are going to aquire a nickname then Caithness is the place you will get it.

cuddlepop
02-Aug-08, 22:03
Skye's really bad for nicknames too.
When I first came here I actually called a few people by the "nicknames " your not suppose to use.
One old boy was called........ its squint eye in gaelic but I didnt know that so i just called him ........:eek:

My own sons got a nickname to as have most of his mates.Old traditions just dont die.:lol:

brokencross
03-Aug-08, 09:38
Having lived away from Wick for ages it used to make me laugh when my mam and dad would be reminiscing about their Wick days.

As the original poster says it was all nick names (not so much the ladies). My dad used to explain to me why whosoever got the nick name. It would quite often relate to their "character", or a distinctive habit and has already been stated to avoid confusion with the mass duplication of family names.

When reminiscing and a person couldn't quite be placed it was like a lesson in genealogy, you know the sort of thing:- "Yee remember he married Jimmy Dowgs sister Ella, then she left him and he went Sooth for a whilie and came back and lived with that Simpson mannie from Henrietta Street who walked with a bad limp and a little black dowgie", and so it went on. It was an education and a half.

Cattach
03-Aug-08, 09:56
I'm not saying it is peculiar to Caithness but ask anyone who has had the pleasure if Living there, if you are going to aquire a nickname then Caithness is the place you will get it.

I have the great pleasure of living and working here and have also lived and worked elsewhere and can tell you quite categorically that I have lived in a couple of other east coast places where nicknames are far more prevalent than in Wick and Thurso.

Errogie
03-Aug-08, 09:57
Of course it is well recognised that nick names and patronymics are evidence of our proud Gaelic culture in Caithness!

Alex. Sutherland

Welcomefamily
03-Aug-08, 12:06
Carson Gaidhlig

Cattach
03-Aug-08, 12:42
Of course it is well recognised that nick names and patronymics are evidence of our proud Gaelic culture in Caithness!

Alex. Sutherland

Guess this must either be tongue in cheek or an effort to get a reaction to the Gaelic question. Problem with it is that the Gaeldom has probably less need for nicknames due the the accurate but sometimes complicated patronymics to the outsider. There way of indication relationships and who was who is very specific through the patronymics and so nicknames though do exist (such as Roy for red hair) are less necessary.
If you going to post then it would be worth getting the facts right first.

brokencross
03-Aug-08, 12:56
(such as Roy for red hair)
I am a Roy, but not for that reason.
My dad chose the name so it wouldn't be changed/shortened as is the wont of Caithnessians such as William becomes Will, Bill, Wullie, and James becomes Jimmy, Jim, Jimmaig etc.
Worked OK in Scotland, but in England was always asked "Is Roy short for Royston?"
You can't win can you?

Cattach
03-Aug-08, 13:47
I am a Roy, but not for that reason.
My dad chose the name so it wouldn't be changed/shortened as is the wont of Caithnessians such as William becomes Will, Bill, Wullie, and James becomes Jimmy, Jim, Jimmaig etc.
Worked OK in Scotland, but in England was always asked "Is Roy short for Royston?"
You can't win can you?

Yes but just check and see where the name came from in the first place. We all know of the obvious one - Rob 'Roy' MacGregor but here were others and it is a common Gaelic identifaction.
All over the country names a changed - diminutives such as Will, etc. I have to say I do not particularly like diminutives. If one gives a child a name I think they should stick with it in the chosen form. What others do, or indeed the indiviual him/herself, is a different matter. Just as nicknames can be useful so may be diminutives, of course. If da and son have the same name then the diminutive may bell be useful to distinguish between them William''s on Bill could b useful for telling who yyou are talking about.
Nicknames to distinguish people are useful though ones given as insults while useful are maybe less acceptable.

hotrod4
03-Aug-08, 19:03

Alex. Sutherland

But arent all gaels called donal or mcleod?
There must be hunners of donal mcleods running around gaeldom watching padraig post!! ;)

scotsboy
03-Aug-08, 19:10
Most nicknames I have come across is in the Buckie area, all families have "tee" or boat names to identify them.