PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks

flyfifer
02-Aug-08, 19:51
Does anyone know what time the fireworks start tonight?

Tubthumper
02-Aug-08, 19:57
Probably whenever someone suggests the Wickers stop pooping on their local football pitch

mccaugm
02-Aug-08, 20:02
Tubthumper - gross

Flyfifer

http://www.caithness.org/fpb/galas/2008/wick_gala/index.htm

TRUCKER
02-Aug-08, 22:43
What a superb firework display. Well done to all that arranged it.

teenybash
02-Aug-08, 22:48
Watched the firework display from my window 10 miles away and it looked brilliant!!!!

Kevin Milkins
02-Aug-08, 23:32
The firework display tonight was as good as I have seen , well done to all involved.
Not to sour the thread ,but I went along with the wife and grandaughter and no sooner had we got to the boat shed a group of drunk youths were fighting and I would think all under 16.
We here all the time about the clamp down on under age drinking and yet the park was awash with very drunk youngsters boys and girls with bottles and cans in hand.When I was that age we had to be out of site to have a drink else we got a clip around the ear and a kick up the arse.
After the fantastic firework display the grandaughter wanted to have a go on the fair.
We had a walk around and I decided to be the grumpy old grandad and sheild her from what was going on.
At no time did I see a bobby or official challenge an under age drinker that seemed proud of the fact that they can now get drunk in public.
It worrys me.

dirdyweeker
02-Aug-08, 23:40
We too enjoyed a "cracker" of a firework show. The weather dried up and it was very mild. We stood near the rope barrier and were unaware of any fighting. A tremendous, colourful display that lasted ages.

Well done to the new Gala Committee for the grand finale!

mccaugm
03-Aug-08, 00:23
:lol:Travelled through to the display, ell worth the drive. Display was fantastic and the music was perfect.
Especially loved "Time to say Goodbye" Andrea Botcelli & Sarah Brightman (I think).

Well done Wick!

Fran
03-Aug-08, 01:18
The firework display tonight was as good as I have seen , well done to all involved.
Not to sour the thread ,but I went along with the wife and grandaughter and no sooner had we got to the boat shed a group of drunk youths were fighting and I would think all under 16.
We here all the time about the clamp down on under age drinking and yet the park was awash with very drunk youngsters boys and girls with bottles and cans in hand.When I was that age we had to be out of site to have a drink else we got a clip around the ear and a kick up the arse.
After the fantastic firework display the grandaughter wanted to have a go on the fair.
We had a walk around and I decided to be the grumpy old grandad and sheild her from what was going on.
At no time did I see a bobby or official challenge an under age drinker that seemed proud of the fact that they can now get drunk in public.
It worrys me.
I couldn't agree with you more Kevin. It was not as it used to be. i went there after the fireworks and there were a lot of drunk underagers. This was giving Wick a bad name to tourists there. I saw one policeman alone in a van who drove into the car park then straight out and away, he didn;t stop at all. Hope Bronwyn had a great time.

lelebo
03-Aug-08, 09:26
Great display - it was the first time my wee one was old enough to go down to it and she loved it. We must have been in a different area from the rest of you because my hubby and I both commented on the fact that no-one seemed to be drunk or even drinking......

Great gala all round :D

rainbow
03-Aug-08, 09:59
Yes I saw the fighting taking place and 2 policemen did arrive and sorted it out - they spent alot of time with one youth taking details etc. Most of the 30 or so kids who had gathered at the rose gardens were about 14/15, most were drunk and the girls were dressed in very skimmpy clothing. Without sounding like a boring old fart (I was young once, and still am!!) but it was evident to all in my vicinity that this minority does not project a good image of the youth of Wick.
On a positive note the fireworks were brilliant, and I am glad there was a bonfire even though it was smaller than normal. There was crowds of people as thankfully the rain had stopped. Well done Wick Gala Committee.

katarina
03-Aug-08, 10:24
Wonderful display and the added music brings a lump to the throat. Glad to see there was a bonfire. I didn't see any drunks, but i wasn't standing near the boating shed. With so many people maybe a couple of police on foot would be good.

thejudd
03-Aug-08, 11:34
I was over on the opposit bank from the boat shed and enjoyed the fireworks, they were some of the best I have seen while I have been up here.
BUT why oh why do people think it's ok to take their dogs down to the fireworks dispaly. While walking down the footpath I saw one dog in wot I can only discribe as in distress and had to be taken away by it's owners and when walking back up after the display spotted another dog cowering behind the group of people it was with. With all the advice given out around bonfire night i.e. keep your animals in, pull the curtains and leave the radio/tv on, why do people think it is ok to take their dogs to a firework display. My dog loved to sit and watch a thunder storm with me but when it came to fireworks he would go scatty. OK rant over lol
But it was a very good display and I think the count got some nice pics which he will hopefully be posting later.

hotrod4
03-Aug-08, 11:40
Probably whenever someone suggests the Wickers stop pooping on their local football pitch

Do you have an inferiority complex about Wick? or have you stopped your medication? ;)

KCI
03-Aug-08, 13:20
[BUT why oh why do people think it's ok to take their dogs down to the fireworks dispaly.

I totally agree with you. One of the reasons we didn't go to the fireworks, is because I hate to see the poor dogs who have been forced to go. You can see how terrified they are, and I will never understand why the owners do this to their own pets. As far as I am concerned, it is a form or cruelty, and the owners should be charged as such.
We didn't see the fireworks - one of my cats is terrified of fireworks, so we try not to leave him on his own! But we could hear them from our house, and it sounded like a good display.
Glad everyone enjoyed them.

cesare
03-Aug-08, 13:27
bang bang woohoo ......aplauds
what was with the music............it felt like it was a send off of a funeral

Camra
03-Aug-08, 13:34
Music CD as supplied by fireworks Company, i think the final tune was from Last of the Mohicans.

cesare
03-Aug-08, 13:38
Music CD as supplied by fireworks Company, i think the final tune was from Last of the Mohicans.

im sorry but i had to laugh.........
i did like the time to say goodbye song but that was so inadiquit
i dont like country/scottish music but even that would of been better
mabey next year have a band or 2 playin some music??
would of been better
jus a thought

Camra
03-Aug-08, 14:52
Agree, it had been discussed but was dropped this year. Ther was Live music in the Market Sq on Gala Night which was excellent. Perhaps next year at the Fireworks. Suggest it to the new Gala Committe, better still, volunteer your services to help out.

KCI
03-Aug-08, 16:13
I know I sound like a stuck record, but going back to the issue regarding dogs at the fireworks......
Is it the Gala Committee who are in charge of the bonfire and fireworks? If so, is there any way that they could advertise that no pets are allowed at the bonfire and fireworks?
It would save a lot of unnecessary suffering.

(Sorry to go on about it!) :roll:

Margaret M.
03-Aug-08, 18:34
Only a thoughtless idiot would subject an animal to a fireworks display.

Camra
03-Aug-08, 21:11
Sorry for SBO !

I would think that if you were a pet owner and you decided to take your pet to a fireworks display, then the onus is on your own knowledge & responsibility as to how your pet can handle large explosions, not the event organisers.

Not only that, but some ignorant, idiotic and irresponsible Homo Sapians decided to ignore the posted warnings and marshall advice and on their own insistance, procede to waltz up through the fireworks exclusion zone, resulting in a ten minute delay to re-cordinate the start sequence.
I'm sure the large crowd really appreciated that when there was a weather window in between the showers.
I shake my head at some people who should know better.

Apart from that, the best fireworks in the North...............well done Wick Gala Committee