PDA

View Full Version : Thurso gala

Mr P Cannop
02-Aug-08, 16:05
whos all going to this ??

scrabster view
03-Aug-08, 08:10
I went to the Gala.

Quite a few were disappointed to see that the parade had moved from Sinclair Street.

Does anyone know why this was done. It certainly wasnt health and safety reasons as there were plenty kids running about the sides of moving floats.

Total different atmosphere this year. Go back to Sinclair Street next year.

Ash
03-Aug-08, 09:27
i didnt really enjoy it.... the gala is dying out (well the thurso one)

Cattach
03-Aug-08, 10:00
I went to the Gala.

Quite a few were disappointed to see that the parade had moved from Sinclair Street.

Does anyone know why this was done. It certainly wasnt health and safety reasons as there were plenty kids running about the sides of moving floats.

Have to agree. Many, many people made the comment on the night. Less space for spectators and shorter route made it harder to see and even harder to give money away! Whatever the reason there has to be a re-think and alternative routes looked at.
As for safety, there were far greater numbers of small children concentrated in a small street area making the situation dangerous. I personally had to move back lots of kids very close to the trcks.
Superb floats though it s a ity there were only four.

KCI
03-Aug-08, 10:12
We were there last night, and have to agree that it was the wrong decision to change the route. From where we were standing, it was really difficult to see the floats and no-one could get near us to get our money! Even at the end of it all, there were foot collectors whose tins were practically empty.
I'm hiding as I type this, but Thurso Gala is not as good as Wick Gala, and I think it's a shame. Wick usually has more floats, and it's easier to see them, with plenty of opportunities to give your money away!
If Thurso want their Gala to be successful next year, they need more floats, and the usual route without all the barriers.
Just my opinion! :eek:

henry20
03-Aug-08, 10:44
We were there last night, and have to agree that it was the wrong decision to change the route. From where we were standing, it was really difficult to see the floats and no-one could get near us to get our money! Even at the end of it all, there were foot collectors whose tins were practically empty.
I'm hiding as I type this, but Thurso Gala is not as good as Wick Gala, and I think it's a shame. Wick usually has more floats, and it's easier to see them, with plenty of opportunities to give your money away!
If Thurso want their Gala to be successful next year, they need more floats, and the usual route without all the barriers.
Just my opinion! :eek:

I believe the route was changed because two vehicles were damaged last year and the turning spaces were larger on the current route.

As for not enough floats, that has nothing to do with TTIA or Thurso gala - it is lack of motivation from the public to do a float. (No, I wasn't on a float, but I am thinking of one for next year)

I saw plenty of people on foot that had there tins full to the top and were hoping to get a second tin, so I guess it depends how pro-active you are at trying to get the money in the first place!

I don't understand why ALL the floats that were in Wick didn't come through - it seems a shame to put so much effort into a float and not go to ALL the galas.

KCI
03-Aug-08, 11:23
I believe the route was changed because two vehicles were damaged last year and the turning spaces were larger on the current route.

As for not enough floats, that has nothing to do with TTIA or Thurso gala - it is lack of motivation from the public to do a float. (No, I wasn't on a float, but I am thinking of one for next year)

I saw plenty of people on foot that had there tins full to the top and were hoping to get a second tin, so I guess it depends how pro-active you are at trying to get the money in the first place!

I don't understand why ALL the floats that were in Wick didn't come through - it seems a shame to put so much effort into a float and not go to ALL the galas.

Yes, I know that the lack of floats is down to the public. That's what I mean though. If the people who live in Thurso want the Gala to be a success, they need to have more floats and foot collectors.
But I still think that the change of route was a mistake. I could hear a lot of people complaining about it - I just think it's a shame because there is nothing to stop Thurso from having a better Gala Night, like Wick.

changilass
03-Aug-08, 12:14
pointless question

It was hardly a pointless question as it served as a reminder that the gala was on and also started a debate about the change of route and the lack of floats.

If anything was pointless I would suggest it was your answer, which hasn't added anything at all to the thread - other than my reply of couse.

Cattach
03-Aug-08, 12:38
pointless question

Yous is probably a Pointless reply.
As mine probably is too!!! One could claim that much of the posting, even the whole posting idea, on the web is pointless but then it is good harmless fun when I have nothing better to do. Perfect for a rather damp Sunday morning.

Ash
03-Aug-08, 12:40
what i mean is why ask at 10 past 4 who is all going

for people to respond saying yes or no

unicorn
03-Aug-08, 12:41
pointless question
I am glad I am not the only one who saw this as a rotten post, it is hardly constructive critisism. The original post prompted replies and discussion about the gala.

Katy
03-Aug-08, 12:49
I must say I agree that the route wasn't a good move at all, to give money we had to keep running on & off the road which isn't ideal when you have a baby in a pram & a toddler!
I must say I lost count the number of foot collectors that wasn't interested in taking money from us, we would put our hands out to give them money & they wasn't one bit interested in stopping!
All the floats were excellent and they all put in lots of hard work, just a pity there wasn't more but they do take a lot of time & effort and not everyone has time to do it.
Katy

unicorn
03-Aug-08, 12:53
Maybe they should have a big plasic empty barell in the middle of the square in plain view where people could put their left over money at the end of the evening?
the hole on the top would be big enough to take money and they could cut the top off later.
Nobody could pinch it without being noticed :D

Big G
03-Aug-08, 13:19
Personally i thought the gala was really good and there was a great turnout of spectators.

I thought the "new route" was better as it doesn't take so long for them to come back round, however i think the small street where cards and things is should of been cleared of people when the floats were going round as it was quite a squeeze and quite dangerous. :eek:

I didn't agree with all the floats parked up on the main road. The music was BLARING and you couldn't hear anyone speaking on the stage unless you were standing right infront of it. Couldn't hear the Queen's speech or the piper for the highland dancing.

I agree with the foot collectors not stopping for money but the ones who did had their tin full - 2 people i was speaking to were on their 2nd tin!

Anyway, i had a great night and thought it was a great sucess! :D

Well done!

Amy-Winehouse
03-Aug-08, 13:24

Most of the floats in Wick are stripped down by the next morning, the amounts of cardboard flying around in the wind is quite amusing-until you have to pick them up!!!

Id say that another reason that the floats dont go up to Thurso is that its not half as good as Wick gala & that would make some think`ach I cant be bothered with that` & just dont go

gollach
03-Aug-08, 13:56
Id say that another reason that the floats dont go up to Thurso is that its not half as good as Wick gala & that would make some think`ach I cant be bothered with that` & just dont go

Now that's a great example of the chicken and egg scenario :~(

rainbow
03-Aug-08, 14:05
After Gala night once you strip the lorry most of the stuff gets ruined - its too expensive to build everything out of wood -as alot of cardboard is used. Also you can't leave the stuff on the trailer for another gala night as the haulage company needs the lorry and trailer back to be used in their business.
Its alot of hard work putting a lorry together, and I am sure alot of Wickers are more than happy to put out a lorry in Wick but cannot see the point in intruding in Thurso for their gala. What is the point in putting out a lorry that has already been seen by the general public - the element of surprise has gone. And from my point of view I love going on the floats in Wick amongst people that I know, but I would not feel comfortable collecting in Thurso among strangers.
Rant over, but good luck for Thurso Gala and hope it is as successful as Wicks.

Caithness Lass
03-Aug-08, 14:18
I am on holiday so I couldnt attend the thurso or wick galas. I would have like to have gone but after hearin the reviews of thurso gala I was a bit surprised.

It has always seemed that over the years there has been one less float but the foot-collecting seems to be more popular. However, I agree that some of the younger generation have decided to dress up and collect which is great but some dont come over to get money which is a shame in a way.

There are those who make the effort every year whether on float or foot-collecting who rake in the money from the crowds. They make the galas more worth while.:)

henry20
03-Aug-08, 14:45
What is the point in putting out a lorry that has already been seen by the general public - the element of surprise has gone.

I was unable to go to any other gala, but did manage to go to the thurso one. I believe that 2 floats were from Castletown, one from halkirk, Bower YF was already in Wick. Peter Pan were in Wick. I believe 5 out of the 6 floats had all been seen before. Maybe even all 6.

I hadn't seen any of them before (ok, I'd seen some photos on here, but thats not the same :roll:) and I'm sure many others hadn't. So they were a surprise to me. Even if I'd made it to all the galas and seen all the floats before, I'm sure I'd have enjoyed Thurso gala just as much.

maidencaithness
03-Aug-08, 15:12
I don't see what is wrong in taking the floats to the other galas, the amount of money and hard work that goes into making them they may as well get their money's worth,also if it hadn't been for these other people from outwith Thurso taking their floats last night it would have been a very poor turnout! so all these people who are moaning about the lack of floats and footcollectors got off their butts and did something themselves it wouldmake it more fun for everyone the same as footcollectors, the clockwork drummers were in Wick last week but still made the effort to come to Thurso.I do agree though it's not the same going to another gala where you maybe don't know the people the same, it is more daunting asking for money from a total stranger. I certainly enjoyed myself last night along with my fellow foot collectors.

kas
03-Aug-08, 15:15
The ones with empty tins must have been more interested in other things than collecting money, as in previous years our tins have always been crammed before we could get once round.

What were the street collecters like last night, I will admit to being a spoil sport and not going as my mates that I normally dress up with couldnt go this year. I hate watching the gala, once you've been it, its not the same watching others.

I also agree with Rainbow, being from Thurso I wouldnt feel too comfortable in the Wick Gala.

alistair harper
03-Aug-08, 15:19
We are in caithness arn,t we and should be proud of the turnout we provide for the galas but i think all the villages should get together and have a caithness gala forget about which town has the best turnout why not all get together get a huge parade and unite in showing what the caithness people can do and at the end have a great big bonfire with the floats and then a BBQ that way everybody can join in tourists alike, im sure when they go back to their home towns they wold say you know caithness is a great place to visit and stay and come back to and tell how all the comunities come together.

trinkie
03-Aug-08, 15:48
From the photos I think both Galas were absolutely wonderful and must congratulate all those who gave time and effort to put on such a great show.
Year after year, the variety of costumes amazes me.
Where I live there is no such show, apart from the Boy Scouts and a farmer with a dog in the back of his Trailer.

How lucky you are in Caithness to have a band of enthusiastic workers - appreciate them while they are still willing to work for you and the county !

Regarding Mr P Cannop's post asking how many were going - need you have been so rude in your reply ? Surely he was being polite - even welcoming.

Trinkie

KCI
03-Aug-08, 16:05
We are in caithness arn,t we and should be proud of the turnout we provide for the galas but i think all the villages should get together and have a caithness gala forget about which town has the best turnout why not all get together get a huge parade and unite in showing what the caithness people can do and at the end have a great big bonfire with the floats and then a BBQ that way everybody can join in tourists alike, im sure when they go back to their home towns they wold say you know caithness is a great place to visit and stay and come back to and tell how all the comunities come together.

Yes, we are in Caithness, but I don't think that would work. Who would make the decision regarding the location? And how would they come to that decision?
I think it's better for each town to have their own celebrations, and their own Gala Week.
It's usually one of the best things about the Summer Holidays - the fact that different towns have different events and Gala Week's etc. We always go to the Wick and Thurso Gala's, so we are supporting both towns. We also go to other events that may be held, like It's A Knockout in Thurso. You usually see a lot of Thurso people at the Wick Gala, and a lot of Wick people at the Thurso Gala.

Just don't think a Caithness Gala would work.

chamb
03-Aug-08, 16:09
For one I think all of the people posting on this thread are whats wrong with the Gala, people are so quick to say the Gala was rubbish but what have they done to help it improve and get bigger and better.

In my own opinion wick Gala has such growds as Thurso people support them where as wick do not support thurso near as much.

Its down to the locals to get together to do a float, which takes so much work, but look at the results, surely 6 is better than none.

I am a member of the TTIA and I know for a fact that there was numerous people who filled tins and came back for another, so if there tins were empty this could have been why. Because at the end of the night every tin and bucket was full.

Year after year people come together and make a wonderful Gala week, no matter where and what town each gala has there own ups and downs according to the public. But what work goes in to the planning from one year to the next, the man hours that goes inbehind the scenes that every one forgets.

The route change was considered to be better for all concerned, as it was a smaller area to patrol, to stop hold ups in the procession, to stop lorries being damaged at the station cornor, to stop buckets and tins being taken from the floats at areas where it was impossible to patrol, all this and more was taken in to consideration, there was also much thought given to the junior members of the pipeband where doing 1 or 2 lengths of the old circut was hard going.

All in all last nights gala went to plan, everyone did a great job, everyone who was there giving there support, created a fantastic community atmosphere.

As the secretery of the TTIA I invite anyone to join the committee, if they can bring fab new ideas, find ways of making it bigger and better, help with fund raising or just provide help at event. It all makes a huge difference, if you found there was something you werent happy with help make the change.

Next year sees the 60th year of the Thurso Gala, All Ideas Welcome, Please log them through WWW.Thurso.Org

golach
03-Aug-08, 16:14
It was hardly a pointless question as it served as a reminder that the gala was on and also started a debate about the change of route and the lack of floats.

If anything was pointless I would suggest it was your answer, which hasn't added anything at all to the thread - other than my reply of couse.
I agree about it hardly being a pointless question, it has created debate. Wish I had been there to see it, have fond memories of Thursa Gala in years gone past.

Anne x
03-Aug-08, 16:40
It is not until your'e living away from the Area do you realise the good nights Galas are and all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes for just a few hrs on one night or a week in the case of all the hard working commitees etc

There is a buzz in the town on Gala Night and all the pubs etc benefit from the gala you meet friends you maybe havent seen for years
I worked in Reception in one of the local hotels and the Coach Parties and overseas visitors just loved them the floats the Pipeband etc

I view all the Gala photos when they are put on the org and really enjoy them including the smaller Galas
keep up the good work

Thurso Town Improvements
03-Aug-08, 16:47
I went to the Gala.

The TTIA Committee will meet shortly after the Gala and will take all your points on board.
The shorter route was chosen for various reasons; I must stress you do not know how changes will work until you try them, so it comes down to trial and error.

A lot of people did not stand past the Pentland hotel after the floats did their 1st round last year the parade stopped for a rest at the top of Sinclair Street and a lot of people got fed up and left. Also money got stolen of the floats in Sinclair Street when it was quiet on the parades second round.

A shorter route was easier for the children to take part. We though it would be easier to police, it would be a better atmosphere as the floats and foot collectors would be back round the circuit faster. Floats did get damaged last year and the turning at the Library is tight.

The noise I am afraid from the floats is the same from Sinclair Street or Traill Street as there is not much in the distance from the square.

Every year we beg the parents not to let the children go on the streets but it falls on deaf ears. The float drivers are high up and cannot see children if they suddenly run out. The barriers are to try and control the crowd at peak places.

We were one of the first Committees to introduce marshals wearing high visibility jackets, have walkie-talkies and request the attendance of St Andrews Ambulance First Aid Volunteers; we take Health and Safety very seriously.

Last night one of the Sea Cadets got deliberately hit in the face with money by some youths, the person is ok now but does not want to take part in a Parade again and who can blame the person.

The money also pelted of the Johnston Controls pick-up truck, which they kindly donate. I am not sure if it has been damaged, I will check with them next week. This happened in a street where there were lots of people; I dread to think what might have happened in a quiet street.

We put over a 100 businesses letters asking them to try and put a float on for us or do foot collecting either as a business or with friends and family.

We even put posters out around town early June saying your Gala needs you.

I stress in my letters to the paper it is everyone’s Gala and if the public do not get behind us there is nothing the Committee can do.

Constructive criticism is always welcome but the negative criticism is a bit harsh. I cannot emphasise enough it is the Town’s gala. It is up to everyone to support it if you want the Gala to continue.

Maybe it would be an idea to start the floats of in Sinclair Street but keep the shorter route. I would love to have the Parade go all through the Town but with the A9 running through the Town it would be impossible.

A lot of people last night thought the Gala was brilliant and liked the new route. You will never please everyone.

A huge thank you to everyone that did take part in the parade and to the public who did support us we really appreciate it.

The committee work tremendously hard to bring you a full programme and work through out the year to make sure there are funds to pay for the Gala.

Not only does the Committee organise the Gala but also they fundraise for various other things including the Christmas lights, which costs thousands.!

I am so proud of the Committee, other groups and volunteers for all their hard work, they have done the Town proud and I could not ask anymore from anyone.

I hope that you all come on board, bring in fresh ideas, enthusiasms, drive, dedication and commitment to help the TTIA get the Gala bigger and better!

Doreen Macleod TTIA Chairwoman

hotrod4
03-Aug-08, 18:38
In my own opinion wick Gala has such growds as Thurso people support them where as wick do not support thurso near as much.
]

i dont think thats entirely true, youre basis for that statement is................?
And your in TTIA thats not a very "caithness" thing to say from someone in a position like yours.
Have been to both Galas and they BOTH have their good and bad points, i wouldnt slag one off at the expense of the other, so Wickers do support Thurso!!!!

johnny north
03-Aug-08, 19:36
pointless question

You could say that about quite a lot of your posts too

lala
03-Aug-08, 19:44
You could say that about quite a lot of your posts too

and you could say that about everyones posting

i agree with comment, im fed up of silly weird questions from Mr Paul Cannop

back to the gala.... i enjoyed it :D:D

changilass
03-Aug-08, 20:58

back to the gala.... i enjoyed it :D

As a new member you have very quickly made up your mind about one of our members, perhaps a little tollerance would be in order. What you see as silly and wierd others may find useful in some ways.

It takes a long time to get used to others posting styles but obviously not very long to suss out the rep system.:lol:

golach
03-Aug-08, 21:02

There are a lot worse on and off the Org , who ask silly questions, than Mr P Cannop.

trinkie
03-Aug-08, 22:13
Lala,

I think it would be nice if you apologise to Mr Cannop now, and think before you jump in to criticize . I understand you are new here and dont yet know our funny ways. I for example am often accused of being bad tempered and feisty - but that's only half of it I'm sure. We have all started Pointless Threads at one time or another, and lived to regret it.

Mr Cannop is a valued member of the Org. ( Carry on posting Paul - you keep me well informed with many goings on in Caithness.)

Welcome to you Lala,
Trinkie

Thumper
03-Aug-08, 22:20
For goodness sake!Everybody on here can post what they want!IF you dont like it, dont read it or dont answer it but please dont slag peeps off for their posts just because you dont like it!Paul is a lovely guy who does everything possible for the community,more like him wouldnt go amiss!!! x

Mr P Cannop
04-Aug-08, 06:39
Lala,

I think it would be nice if you apologise to Mr Cannop now, and think before you jump in to criticize . I understand you are new here and dont yet know our funny ways. I for example am often accused of being bad tempered and feisty - but that's only half of it I'm sure. We have all started Pointless Threads at one time or another, and lived to regret it.

Mr Cannop is a valued member of the Org. ( Carry on posting Paul - you keep me well informed with many goings on in Caithness.)

Welcome to you Lala,
Trinkie

lala you have upset me now !!

Cattach
04-Aug-08, 07:07
For one I think all of the people posting on this thread are whats wrong with the Gala, people are so quick to say the Gala was rubbish but what have they done to help it improve and get bigger and better.

Its down to the locals to get together to do a float, which takes so much work, but look at the results, surely 6 is better than none.

I am a member of the TTIA and I know for a fact that there was numerous people who filled tins and came back for another, so if there tins were empty this could have been why. Because at the end of the night every tin and bucket was full.

Year after year people come together and make a wonderful Gala week, no matter where and what town each gala has there own ups and downs according to the public. But what work goes in to the planning from one year to the next, the man hours that goes inbehind the scenes that every one forgets.

The route change was considered to be better for all concerned, as it was a smaller area to patrol, to stop hold ups in the procession, to stop lorries being damaged at the station cornor, to stop buckets and tins being taken from the floats at areas where it was impossible to patrol, all this and more was taken in to consideration, there was also much thought given to the junior members of the pipeband where doing 1 or 2 lengths of the old circut was hard going.

All in all last nights gala went to plan, everyone did a great job, everyone who was there giving there support, created a fantastic community atmosphere.

As the secretery of the TTIA I invite anyone to join the committee, if they can bring fab new ideas, find ways of making it bigger and better, help with fund raising or just provide help at event. It all makes a huge difference, if you found there was something you werent happy with help make the change.

Next year sees the 60th year of the Thurso Gala, All Ideas Welcome, Please log them through WWW.Thurso.Org

I agree with almost all of this and thank people willing to give up their time for the Gala. It is hard work.

What I disagree with is the route. I thought it was dreadful. The overcrowding and the shortness of it. There was 100% condemnation of the many people I spoke to regarding the route. There has to be a different answer to this than just packing everyone into such a small area. It was fortunate there was fewng foats or it would have been very much worse. The Gala route in years gone by was even longer, much longr, than the one changed from. For over 50 years there has been a long route and for much of that time a very long route without problem.

Please listen to the people. If you are interest in the Gala then accept you do lots of great work but you can get things wrong. You have to accept advice and at times criticism without resorting to the 'if you do not like it join us comment'. Many people just cannot help for various reasons and so surely that should not then stop them from voicing an opinion.

Thorfin
04-Aug-08, 08:46
Cheers to the Gala commitee for doing so well, there is a lot of preparing and behind the sceens work to get in all to come together. Al lot of folk sit back and expect it all to land in their lap, I say to them get up and organise a float or something to take part in it all and make it what you want it to be. Put your idea's forward as it was said it Your Town not theirs. And as for slagging paul for only asking or reminding folk about the Gala, well least said. I think he deserves an apology on here

flowertot
04-Aug-08, 09:25
I would just like to thank Doreen and her committee, as I thought the gala this year was better, as it kept everybody together. As for the foot collectors most of them were coming to get money in the area I was in.

It is like everything else there are always small minded people who will criticise, but ask them to get involved well don't get me started.

What is it they say 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'!!!!!

Unless these people are going to get involved with the gala it would be best to keep your nasty comments to yourself.

As for Thurso being different from Wick, that comes down to there being a more community spirit in Wick and people aren't to quick to judge.

If we want a Gala next year I think people need to be more supportive and if they have any criticism's get involved!!!!!

Thanks again Doreen :)

SEB
04-Aug-08, 12:43
Having read the various posts on this thread regarding Thurso Gala night, it really annoys me that people are so quick to jump in to put their tuppence worth in after the event, and tear it to shreds.
So I would like to take this opportunity to thank the TTIA for their organisation of the event, as well as all the participants - the pipers, drummers, highland dancers, everyone on the floats, all the foot collectors, etc etc. You all did a brilliant job and, unlike the minority on here who only seem to have time to critisice, you all gave up your own time to entertain the locals and tourists, so well done to you all!!!
And to those of you who didn't enjoy the evening, (or didn't manage to get into the spirit of it) - may I suggest that you stay at home next year?

sadam
04-Aug-08, 13:38
lets see how the rest of the weeks entertainments go, what will they have to say about them, if they go along and support any of it. Whats on tonight now oh yes Bingo, and a fashion show tomorrow night. Yip cant wait

pops
04-Aug-08, 16:49
I have to say I really enjoyed the gala. I was foot collecting with my friends, we try to do it every year, and my tin was as full as it could get and on my way to hand that tin in and get a second tin many people thought i was being rude by not stopping to get money but it was not possible as as much money as possible had been packed into the tin. Out of my group i think there were four of us on our second tins and the others were nearly as full as they could get. Well done to those involved in organising the gala.

Mada458
04-Aug-08, 17:33
The Gala was awesome and I enjoyed it!
The people that did bother to take part did an excellent job. The floats were spectacular, there may not have been as many but the quality that went into them made up for that. I know how hard it is to organise a float and everyone to go on it, so well done all those who took part!

The committee did a fantastic job and as for the route change it was better! Didn't take as long for the floats to come round, personally the previous route was far too long! Those complaining just didn't expect the change and maybe don't like change?

I have to agree that a few foot collectors did just walk past but that’s not the committee’s fault that’s down to the individuals – least the people bothered to make an effort. Oh and there’s nothing wrong with going over to the foot collectors ;)

I think there was a good idea raised by someone on here! To get something for everyone to chuck all the money they have left over into!

Everyone has a right to praise or criticize - at the end of the day everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it but really, those who do put the boot in have any of you ever took part in it? And by that I mean not just going down to see it but dress up/do a float/organise an event? Fair play to those that have but to the rest maybe it's about time you did?

You know what really gets me; the whole town seems to have lost their spirit.. When I was younger people weren’t as stingy and did things for free. Everyone is quite happy to do things - at a cost which is quite sad really.

If more people offered to pitch in and help we could easily get that town spirit back, the Gala could be amazing! It's just a shame a lot of people just don't care or want to bother these days.

Anyhoo, enough said.

las123
06-Aug-08, 18:19
i thought the gala was good, and also the programme they have got on for the week.

i will agree though that some people collecting were just walking past, not bothered collecting the money, i gave most of mines to my son when it was finished for his piggy bank, he thought he was rich haha!!

i was at the bingo and there was a big turnout compared to last year, all ran very smoothly

going to the beach tonight.

i think the committee deserve a big thumbs up for all there hard work that they have done and for giving the kids stuff to do during the holidays!!!:lol: well done!!!

Thorfin
07-Aug-08, 12:57
I would like to say that i went to the gala parade, the treasure hunt, the bingo and the fashion show and i would like to say a big well done to all the folks who took part in the organising, performing and those who attended it. The gala commitee will learn by genuine feedback for future events not ugly criticising on here, not heard how the ceach party went as I didnt manage to get to it due to work.

skinnydog
07-Aug-08, 13:28
I went to the beach party last night and there was loads of folk there. The Hee Haw donkeys were making a mint at £3 a pop but the kids just love them don't they? At the length of the queue to get on them I think I might trade the dog in for a donkey!!

Great to see a good turn out supporting the different events that the committee put so much effort into running.

KCI
08-Aug-08, 08:39
Excuse me, but how do you differentiate between genuine feedback and "ugly criticising" on here?
This is a community forum - I wasn't aware that if I came on to express my opinion regarding a community event, it would be seen as "ugly criticising"!
My main point regarding the Gala was the change of route. As far as I was concerned, I was giving some genuine feedback. How are the Gala committee going to know what people thought of the new route, if we can't say it on here? I don't see why people are having a go at others regarding this - I only came on this thread to say what I thought about the way the Gala had gone on the night, and everyone around me was saying the same thing.
Surely we are allowed to express an opinion without being condemned for it?
Just for the record, I think the Gala committee did a great job - the new route is something that could be sorted out, and if there were more Thurso people taking part, I'm sure the Gala will be a lot better next year.

I would like to say that i went to the gala parade, the treasure hunt, the bingo and the fashion show and i would like to say a big well done to all the folks who took part in the organising, performing and those who attended it. The gala commitee will learn by genuine feedback for future events not ugly criticising on here, not heard how the ceach party went as I didnt manage to get to it due to work.