PDA

View Full Version : Tiurist Info- A question???

Amy-Winehouse
02-Aug-08, 14:13
Am I right in saying that when the previous tourist information office in Whitechapel road shut down it was due to the lack of a disabled access?

Well I went down the town on Wednesday & low & behold I caught a glimpse of a sign UPSTAIRS in McCallans clothes shop stating that the Tourist info was now up there!!

Can somebody explain how a stairs is wheelchair friendly all of a sudden?

I find this rather bizarre but not unbelievable as its another strange decision by those in power.

Tristan
02-Aug-08, 18:37
Disability access may have been one of the reasons but I believe the main reason was funding. Highland Council didn't think one was worth paying for two up here.

balto
02-Aug-08, 18:55
think they can get round this rule, as long as staff are willing to take any information required by the customer down to them.

Cattach
02-Aug-08, 21:48
Disability access may have been one of the reasons but I believe the main reason was funding. Highland Council didn't think one was worth paying for two up here.

You are correct - it was just another cutback.

TBH
02-Aug-08, 21:54
Why should someone with a disability have to wait until somene comes down stairs with info for them, they should complain about this crock of bull..

DeHaviLand
03-Aug-08, 13:30
Why should someone with a disability have to wait until somene comes down stairs with info for them, they should complain about this crock of bull..

Its been like this for 2 years. Bit late in getting so indignant eh? Oh aye, and theres a back door, takes you directly to the first floor!

Tristan
03-Aug-08, 14:38
Am I correct in thinking that the Norsman volunteered to take it over to start with and it later went to McCallans? I know shops and hotels like that will benefit from the tourist trade so it is in their own best interest to keep the office going but I doubt they get much renumeration from the Council to do so.

hotrod4
03-Aug-08, 18:41
There is a back door that takes you straight to the tourist area, they have a ramp as well. I admit it is strange to have it upstairs as the disabled person would have to drive round to the back of the building to get info.

Amy-Winehouse
03-Aug-08, 20:26
Okay , thanks for the info, but I didnt know there was a way round the back of mcCALLANS!!! I live here too-the shame of it all :eek: