PDA

View Full Version : car seat belts

Fran
15-Dec-05, 02:51
a friend of mine was taking his friend to Raigmore hospital for cheomotherapy treatment when he was stopped by police not far from his friends house. they must have seen him undoing his seatbelt at the roadworks red traffic lights ready to turn into his pals street. He was asked a lot of questions etc and has to take his car papers to the police station and he explained where he was going. This made them late for the friends treatment at the hospital in Inverness. Has anyone else been stopped or charged with not wearing a seat belt? taxis seem to do it all the time. I have never seen a case in the paper so I am curious???????????????

Naefearjustbeer
15-Dec-05, 06:07
I have been stopped a couple of time for no seatbelt in the past and got a spot fine once. It would only go to court if you failed to pay the spot fine. I think you get 28 days to pay. I always try to remember my seatbelt these days

highlander2222
15-Dec-05, 08:55
a friend of mine was taking his friend to Raigmore hospital for cheomotherapy treatment when he was stopped by police not far from his friends house. they must have seen him undoing his seatbelt at the roadworks red traffic lights ready to turn into his pals street. He was asked a lot of questions etc and has to take his car papers to the police station and he explained where he was going. This made them late for the friends treatment at the hospital in Inverness. Has anyone else been stopped or charged with not wearing a seat belt? taxis seem to do it all the time. I have never seen a case in the paper so I am curious???????????????

Taxi drivers dont have 2 wear a seat belt or people making delivers

scrapydoo
15-Dec-05, 09:34
I always make sure scoobydoo has got his seat belt on you can never be to safe.

fed-ex
15-Dec-05, 09:45
If im making a delivery in th fe-dex van im always strapped in.

brandy
15-Dec-05, 09:56
allways strap in .. i feel nekkid without the belt!
and with little ones in the car have to set an example.. even though they can unfasten theirs restraints now!
nevver been pulled though..

lassieinfife
15-Dec-05, 10:06
There should be no exceptions to seat belt wearing......... have seen first hand results of failure to belt up......but what really pulls my string is driver strapped in and kids standing between front seats ........ driver should be charged with attempted murder

Murdina Bug
15-Dec-05, 10:29
Totally agree Lassieinfife. I have been so angry following cars where I have seen this. Someone once said to me that if you stop beside one you should say 'Is that your child/grandchild? They are lovely, it's such a pity that you don't love them very much!' Of course the surprised response would give you a chance to follow up with a graphic description of what happens when a small child (or anyone) is loose in a car during an accident. (of course the opportunity has never presented itself and I don't know if I would br brave enough to do it!)

Fran, I'm afraid your explanation of what happened to your friend is an attempt to make a valid reason for why he undid his belt but, quite simply, he was in the wrong. I think many more spot checks should be done because this is just stupidity. I know that even if my job permitted me not to wear one I still would.

rainbow
15-Dec-05, 10:35
My husband got an on the spot fine about 8 years ago for not wearing his belt - ironic thing is he had made a point of strapping in our 4 year old at the time. His journey was a short trip from nursery so it just goes to show no matter how short the journey always belt up. In Wick I have noticed lots of 'boy racers' spin through the street with no belt on - do they think they are above the law - bout time something was done about them!

MadPict
15-Dec-05, 10:45
From my understanding of the seat belt law taxi drivers do have to wear a seat belt - they are only exempt when they are carrying passengers. So, for example, a taxi driver should put their belt on again after they have dropped off a fare and are returning to their rank.

angela5
15-Dec-05, 11:06
I always belt up either in my own car, work van or a passenger in someone else's, i find it so annoying to see kids standing up between the driver and passenger seat.

Once when i was on a dual carriage way a red van flew past doing at least 80 miles an hour 1st thing i noticed was a child standing face right up to the windscreen grrrrr!
i was mad at his irresponsible behaviour.

krieve
15-Dec-05, 11:34
I know someone who has two girls and when the oldest one was baby she come to see me. When she was going home she would just set her in the baby car seat she would'nt tie her in then, take her out to the car and just put the baby car seat on the passenger seat and not even put the seat belt on the babys car seat. I told her to tie her in she never took any notice really so when she came to see me i would always put her in her seat tie her in, take her out to the car and tie her in to the car. This used to make me MAD because she is'nt the best driver and i would just hate to see what would happen if she did have an accident.grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i am annoyed thinking about it.

jay
15-Dec-05, 11:42
totally agree with the stupidity re kids loose in cars, however I think when it comes to the driver it should be his own choice, it's only his life he's endangering - yes it may be stupid but personally I find it virtually impossible to drive for any length of time with a seat belt on, I'm only short and the belt slides up and ends up across my throat - if I had to brake I'd probably get choked if not decapitated! Had a bad accident once,not wearing a seat belt allowed me to get out of the way rapidly when a large caithness flagstone came through the windscreen - don't think I'd have been so lucky if I'd been strapped in.

krieve
15-Dec-05, 12:12
totally agree with the stupidity re kids loose in cars, however I think when it comes to the driver it should be his own choice, it's only his life he's endangering - yes it may be stupid but personally I find it virtually impossible to drive for any length of time with a seat belt on, I'm only short and the belt slides up and ends up across my throat - if I had to brake I'd probably get choked if not decapitated! Had a bad accident once,not wearing a seat belt allowed me to get out of the way rapidly when a large caithness flagstone came through the windscreen - don't think I'd have been so lucky if I'd been strapped in. If you are little why don't you get one of those things that are in argos for kids to stop the seat belt digging in to your neck .

lizzie
15-Dec-05, 12:40
Because the seat belt annoys you is no excuse not to wear one, many small adults sit on cushions in the car or even a booster seat it seems a silly excuse to risk your life with.

jay
15-Dec-05, 13:19
If you are little why don't you get one of those things that are in argos for kids to stop the seat belt digging in to your neck .

I've not seen those - I'll have a look in argos and see if it would be suitable, sitting on a cushion does not help.

Donnie
15-Dec-05, 16:00
Your friend broke the law and they were stopped because of it. It doesn't make a difference where they were going or who they were going to see.

brandy
15-Dec-05, 16:41
my car seats never even come out of the car unless i need the backseats for something else
have already looked into getting booster seat for the 2 1/2 year old as he can unbucle his seat (dosent do it often but can) but mothercare told me to keep him in his stage 2 for as long as i could as it was safer than a booster.. and as long as he dosent start unbuckling while we are driving i will keep him in his car seat...
but always buckle up!
my best mate back home.. was in the back seat .. 5 min from home a car pulled out in front of them.. they were going about 45 mph and he went thru the windscreen because he wasnt wearing a belt..
he lost several teeth and had to have surgery.. on his face and mouth .. leave it to say .. he got off lucky!

htwood
15-Dec-05, 20:24
my dad was in a terrible head-on crash, where the other car crossed the line on a curve. He and my uncle had seatbelts on. The fellow in the other car did not, he went thru his windscreen and bled to death on the tarmac.
The dead fellow was known to drive around with his 3 yr old daughter standing between the seats, so, my dad with broken ribs walked the cornfield looking to see if the little girl had been thrown 20 feet into the corn.
Luckily, the girl was home with her mother, but surely would have been dead if she'd been without a seatbelt in that car.
If only he had worn his seatbelt, he would be alive today. -H

caithpal
15-Dec-05, 22:38
I had this sent to me about 6 months back after speaking to someone who used it in a road safety presentation. It IS real and is not staged. The camera was being used as a lot of insurance companies in the USA are now asking drivers to put these forward and rear facing camers in their cars.

DO NOT look at this if you are of nervous disposition. I have no idea if he was okay. I can make a good guess that he wasn't though.

This surely will give any of you who don't always belt up the incentive to do so. This was a relatively low speed crash after all!!

http://www.killsometime.com/Video/video.asp?ID=243

fed-ex
15-Dec-05, 22:44
If that dosn't get people to belt up then I think nothing will........

krieve
15-Dec-05, 22:58
I had this sent to me about 6 months back after speaking to someone who used it in a road safety presentation. It IS real and is not staged. The camera was being used as a lot of insurance companies in the USA are now asking drivers to put these forward and rear facing camers in their cars.

DO NOT look at this if you are of nervous disposition. I have no idea if he was okay. I can make a good guess that he wasn't though.

This surely will give any of you who don't always belt up the incentive to do so. This was a relatively low speed crash after all!!

http://www.killsometime.com/Video/video.asp?ID=243
That was shocking even though it was'nt that fast.

angela5
16-Dec-05, 00:10
That looked pretty bad i don't think that those who do not wear seatbelts actually think that is going to happen.

That should be shown in schools get the message through from an early age, so many deaths are caused because of this.

girnigoe
16-Dec-05, 00:26
my car seats never even come out of the car unless i need the backseats for something else
have already looked into getting booster seat for the 2 1/2 year old as he can unbucle his seat (dosent do it often but can) but mothercare told me to keep him in his stage 2 for as long as i could as it was safer than a booster.. and as long as he dosent start unbuckling while we are driving i will keep him in his car seat...
but always buckle up!
my best mate back home.. was in the back seat .. 5 min from home a car pulled out in front of them.. they were going about 45 mph and he went thru the windscreen because he wasnt wearing a belt..
he lost several teeth and had to have surgery.. on his face and mouth .. leave it to say .. he got off lucky!

Brandy, you can buy things to put over the clip to stop the littlies undoing them. Safeclip Seat Belt Buckle Guard I found some on www.thebabycatalogue.com under the Out and About category then the Car Seat category - only £4.95 - well worth it for peace of mind!!!