PDA

View Full Version : Surprisingly Little Said!

Uppiebalad
15-Dec-05, 01:56
Hmm, I find it interesting after all the excitement expressed about Crimson Tides' gig on Saturday last that there has only been one submission cast here and it was praise only. Has no-one else got anything to say about it- was anyone else there besides three bands and their families. Even at that I was expecting to be able to read more yet nothing, not a sausage, the plate was bare, no eggs in the basket, the well has run dry, my cup runnith empty, the uranium has depleted, my order is on extend (whatever that means), the fillament has gone, the carpet is thread-bare, a camal knows nothing of speed bumps, the spark of creation has deminished, the elves have gone into the west, the door is closed before us, a gaping void of non-existance, not even diddly squat!

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Dec-05, 02:02
I concur. I read about all these events in the Far North, yet very few people come back to report on them. Y'all need to keep marketing these things and keep shouting about them. Other wise us sad-sacks in the 'sarf' won't hear you - and worse, not come and see you. Make some noise.

Reev
15-Dec-05, 02:02
I was there,

all i can do is praise the all the acts and the boys themselves

cyanide started and played an excellent set, including one of their own songs, very well done

darren and stuart from bosshogg did an acoustic set, some of their own material and some covers,

im biased maybe as they are close friends of mine, i love acoustic sets, always have, always will, and they played magnificently, there own songs in an acoustic format worked EXTREMELY well

and finally of course you had Crimson tide, OBVIOUSLY they played their own material from the EP and played some covers too,

they played well also, very well, heck, it was ACE, the whole thing

a big hand has t go out to Isacc sutherland for the sound, amazing job, everything sounded crisp and perfect, not to much for the redwood and not to little either

all in all, call it a vague rundown of the night if you will, but a success in my books, plus the guys sold more or less all of their CD,s that they had there,

so they obviously struck a cord, a well good night

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Dec-05, 02:26
Quality. Good stuff.

Uppiebalad
15-Dec-05, 02:46
This bias is a problem. As an artist I too have friends who are artists. As their friend they expect of me an honest opinion of their work. Naturally I would be inclined to speak well of their efforts but it doesn't help them improve their work if I keep shtoom on their failings. My friends likewise tell me when they think I'm doing the wrong thing creatively. I value that because if all I took was the opinion that I had done well I would know nothing of the real public view of my work- in short I'd be deluding myself in every respect of my abilities. So to only speak highly of my friends' work would lead them into false reality and would not be helpful atol.
This is why I want to hear an opinion here that actually pulls apart and examines the gig in every detail- a full annalsis of the show. It can't possibly have been as perfect as perfect can be. Such is not possible. Certainly it could all have gone well but your are all musicians and cannot honestly say you didn't spot something you thought was a bit out or you would have done differently.
This leads to the next question- The audience was composed of which of the following:
Crew-
Other Band Members-
Family-
Family friends-
Friends-
Friends' friends-
People who fancy the band/s
General public- (of which equalling what percentage of the audience)?

Did the bands' work have any similarities to other well know works?
Did all the bands get the crowd going?
Overview of each track played? (good points and bad)

One of my collegues did get to the gig so I have had some real feedback and although supportive overall, it bares some striking differences to what I've seen here.
So far I have noticed one very favourable aspect about both Boss Hogg and Crimson Tide- they haven't blown their own trumpets! Very professional- Well done lads, you're doing a good job. Keep the music coming coz I like what I've heard so far.:D

Reev
15-Dec-05, 02:52
well if my feedback isnt "worthy" of your attention whats the point

pecentage as general public, hhhhmmmmm try all bar me and a few being maybe 3 family members

One of my collegues did get to the gig so I have had some real feedback and although supportive overall, it bares some striking differences to what I've seen here.

dude REAL feedback, get over yourself

Jeid
15-Dec-05, 03:00
you two are always at each others throats. i like it.

i have a couple of handbags here. if you wanna use them?

who cares if he didn't give an overall productive account of the gig. he gave his account and said what he thought was good. with any review, there is always bias

Uppiebalad
15-Dec-05, 03:07
All opinions are highly valued in my book (even if don't agree with them).
I'm not at anyones' throat here. I'm simply asking for for a broader opinion and wherever I get feedback I'm sure it's real and have nothing to get over, not even a wall in a scramble to get away from the gillie!
I wish you could all respond without firing both barrels!

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Dec-05, 03:24
Let's see. A pro-active bunch of guys playing live music. Some original material, some covers, a few friends come along, the show is best promoted as possible, people exchange ideas, a good time is had, job done. If I'm not correct, this a few local bands playing the local live music spots, yeah? And not Oasis/ Radiohead/ U2/ Whatever who needs to pull out the stops to avoid any damning press?

I don't think we need to wade in with sharp knives, uppie. A little constructive criticism is all that is required. Not a full scale Hutton-report analysis.

But should you waste time to orchestrate and compile a 12-page dossier on a local three-band bill (or whatever it was), I might be interested in reading it... if I'm not plucking my nasal hair that is.

Still, keep the fires buring, huh?

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Dec-05, 03:36
So far I have noticed one very favourable aspect about both Boss Hogg and Crimson Tide- they haven't blown their own trumpets! Very professional- Well done lads, you're doing a good job. Keep the music coming coz I like what I've heard so far.:D

I disagree with this point. Granted, Boss Hogg and Crimson Tide (from what I've seen and heard) haven't been blowing their trumpets too loudly; and certainly acting all professional. However, I'd love to see some bombastic arrogance. Some pompous, self-absorbed me-first attitude. Get in peoples' faces, make yourself known. I see about four/five bands a week and believe me there's nothing more boring than a bunch of saps keeping everything nice and organised, well-rehearsed and totally formulaic. I want a band that is unpredictable, life-affirming, is actively involved with the audience (whether stage diving on them, or playing with their backs toward them - it doesn't matter), and does something a little out of the ordinary.

For example: I once saw a band whose attempt at being quirky and "different" (their words not mine) was to dress up in the same 70s gas-station attendant overalls. (Yeah, like, gnarly, dude.) They had a different guitar for each different song, apologised for rock 'n' roll by saying "we haven't jammed in a week, so please, don't expect much". Touche.

Anyway, point is, halfway through the set one of the guitarist's leads started shortning out. The look of panic on his face was a picture. He obviously didn't read about what to do when this sort of thing happens in the Guide To Playing Live Music Safely and Effectively. Difference is, he was forced to improvise, forced to do something real that wasn't pre-prepared. I don't want to spoil the image of what happened next, but he, and his band, went up in my estimation with the way they dealt with this.

There's no real moral here other than this: there are no rules. But I keep seeing them all the time.

Incedentally, this is not a slight on any of the bands mentioned in the post.

Reev
15-Dec-05, 03:40
hahahahahaha, that reminds me of when i used to jam in the high school

I'd love to see some bombastic arrogance. Some pompous, self-absorbed me-first attitude

i won the battle of the bands 2 years in a row

hows that

hahahahahaha

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Dec-05, 03:46
As Janes Addictions' Perry Farrell once said: "If you end up winning, or becoming number one - then you're doing something wrong. Something formulaic and derivitive. Who's interested in winners?"

Nae offence, lad. Keep it going.

Awrabest...

Reev
15-Dec-05, 03:58
so much for being in your face

hahahahaha

Jeid
15-Dec-05, 11:30
i always knew never winning that thing was good! haha

Chobbersjnr
15-Dec-05, 17:30
Ach it's always the same...............

OK Cyanide were good, very good in fact although the rhythm guitarist needs to check his tuning a bit more & they could have played Freebird a bit slower

Boss Hogg were cut in 1/2 line up wise, but it was a good set. The sound of Stu's guitar could be improved if he invested in a good EQ with feedback killer as his guitar was internally mic'd

Crimson Tide played some (to be honest) quite rough versions of Johnny B. Goode & Stand By Me & the 2 acoustic tracks they did wheren't exactly slick but they cracked that to the audience & the spirit was high & as Reev said they sold most of their CD's

But as Pepsi pointed out Uppie you seem to wield a scalpel in most of your posts where friendly constructive criticism would be better placed, & you might get fired at with both barrels a bit less.

I mean from what I've read Uppie you seem to be quite an authority on all things musical, out of pure curiosity...........what do you do in music???? what is your job

L8r chaps

Uppiebalad
15-Dec-05, 21:30
attitude. Get in peoples' faces, make yourself known. I see about four/five bands a week and believe me there's nothing more boring than a bunch of saps keeping everything nice and organised, well-rehearsed and totally formulaic. I want a band that is unpredictable, life-affirming, is actively involved with the audience (whether stage diving on them, or playing with their backs toward them - it doesn't matter), and does something a little out of the ordinary.

This is what I have been saying in many ways. Caithness bands are being very Joe Average because they fear ridicule, they want to look like they know what they are doing all the time because they are in the band. Good music, whether original (prefered) or cover- essential, atitutude and showmanship are all important aspects of what it takes to be "successful".
And by "successful" I mean getting that 20ft gap between you and audience to narrow, to get most up dancing instead of just a few who know how to let their hair down and above all the ability to keep going when it all goes desasterously away from your masterplan. With showmanship on your side you can get away with flunking it now and then so when a real review comes along it won't harm your credability- only the band can damage their reputation.
As for stage diving I have an image in my head of what will happen if a Caithness musician attempts a stage dive- the audience will part and watch him go,---- WOOOOOOOO SHMAKO!

There's no real moral here other than this: there are no rules. But I keep seeing them all the time.

Rules, yes here's a thing, there's always an 'expert' saying you can't do this or that. Music is a creative field- do what you want (just keep it legal).

Incedentally, this is not a slight on any of the bands mentioned in the post.[/quote]

Incidently none of what I have been saying since coming on here is any kind of slight against anyone.:confused:

tierce-de-picardie
15-Dec-05, 22:47
i totally agree at the speed of freebird having been the guitarist that had to play the solo tell ya ultimate finger work out. ye rythem giutarist gutiar was out its kinda due to the fact that he snapped his guitar neck so it goes out of tune pretty easy. but ye freebird is too fast the solo is ok at that speed but the verse needs to be reduced in tempoother wise u dont get the mellow contrast against the solo.