PDA

View Full Version : Larger Wedding Dresses / Buying from Ebay

funky-dunky
01-Aug-08, 20:46
hi i am trying to buy a wedding dress from ebay but the only problem is most of them is over in hong kong and china, i am just woundering if anyone has ever bought anything from over there and how good are they that sending things over.

funky-dunky
01-Aug-08, 20:52
does anyone know where you can get a wedding dress from for big people

Nibbler
01-Aug-08, 21:16
Hi funky-dunky

Not sure if you have tried the shop in Dempster Street in Wick but she does brides dresses. If she does not have any, she may be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope this may be of some help.

TRUCKER
01-Aug-08, 21:16
Try these websites www.bigbeautifulbrides.co.uk or www.thebigdayuk.com. hope this helps.

joxville
01-Aug-08, 21:20
I've bought CD's and clothing from there on Ebay with no problem, but I suppose you still run the same risk of getting ripped off as you do buying in this country. Buy from someone with a lot of good feedback and volume sales to lessen the risk.

alanatkie
01-Aug-08, 21:25
I bought my daughters dress from Canada & my sister was at a wedding last yr & they bought there wedding dress from China, both through ebay & they were amazing far better than what you would get here for the same price.

thejudd
01-Aug-08, 21:34
Hi ya Have you looked at the wedding collection that evans do. Go to their web site. They have some really lovely stuff on there.:D

henry20
02-Aug-08, 00:37
I bought my flower girl dresses from china/hong kong on ebay and they were made to measure - I asked them to make them slightly larger to allow for any growth spurts and got them adjusted locally.

One of the dresses arrived with a wee dirty mark on it and I contacted and asked if they were ok to machine wash if it didn't come out by hand washing. They said they would just replace the dress, but I said to wait until we'd tried to wash it. The mark came out no problem and the dresses were perfect - much nicer than I expected.

Doolally
02-Aug-08, 22:05
Hi i got married last year and i bought my wedding dress, 3 bride maid dresses 3 flower girl dresses and my mums outfit all from aboard and everything was great, well worth the money

ber219
02-Aug-08, 22:12
Belissima Brides in Inverness deal with the fuller figure, I got my dress from there and Hilda was fantastic and knew exactly what would look right on me.

Angel
02-Aug-08, 22:14
Hiya There.. Just to let you know that I have bought several things from hong kong via ebay... and they have all arrived in perfect condition and quicker that most european countries...

Angel

BRIE
03-Aug-08, 09:04
I bought a dress for a wedding from hong kong off ebay & would never chance it again! dress was really small compaired to our sizes so didnt fit ,Had to wait weeks for it to arrive & could of probably made better myself! plus the postage was extortionate.:(

ashaw1
03-Aug-08, 14:56
hi i am trying to buy a wedding dress from ebay but the only problem is most of them is over in hong kong and china, i am just woundering if anyone has ever bought anything from over there and how good are they that sending things over.
Hi! I own the bridal shop in Dempster Street and i have in the shop right now a dress that i am selling on behalf of someone else, this dress was made in China. I looked into getting some of my dresses from there but after seeing the quality of the dresses i decided not to bother. From my experience i have found the dresses to be of very poor quality in both material and workmanship, the sizing can be very inconsistent too. If you were to buy a dress from abroad i would probably recommend America as this is where most of the large bridal retailers source their dresses anyway. Most reputable bridal retailers would have no problem getting dresses in larger sizes but as i have found out you are much better to try before you buy, especially with something as important as a wedding dress. If you want to come into the shop and have a look at the chinese dress feel free.

Angela
02-Sep-08, 19:37
My future daughter in law is thinking of ordering dresses for her bridesmaids and flower girls from a Chinese supplier.

She's a bit worried about import tax though. I've never bought anything from China - can anyone tell me if import tax is applied to all orders, even quite modest ones? :confused and if so, how much it is?

Venture
02-Sep-08, 19:50
Here is a link to a bride who bought her wedding dress from ebay for 5p. The designer was from Singapore.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1051516/Delighted-bride-spots-dream-dress-eBay--buys-just-pence.html

Bad Manners
02-Sep-08, 20:12
Its the power of world wide web we have purchase many items from overseas and we have only had one treansaction that went wrong however we did recieve our money back so treat the web like a great big shopping centre and have fun

teenybash
02-Sep-08, 20:20
I have bought beads and bits and pieces for jewellery and horse rhythm beads and didn't pay any extra for import. I know you can check through Customs and Excise on the net..but I have a feeling clothing does not incur charges......:D

dragonfly
02-Sep-08, 20:31
I bought a prom dress for my daughter from a dealer in china and had no problems.

when it came back it was too tight so I contacted them and they exchanged it for me - had to send the original to a UK address along with a cheque for £10 to cover the postage and a new one was sent that was correct fit. I was a bit doubtful at first but found them perfect to deal with

the sizes do tend to be neat so if you are seriously looking at ebay look for a dealer who wants you to send your exact measurements and be exact with them, don't cheat by pulling tape in a bit :eek: ;)

Angela
02-Sep-08, 20:37
Thank you all for your replies. I think with the flowergirls' dresses we'd need to allow a bit of room of growth and be prepared to make adjustments. I can sew...just nothing fancy!;)

I seem to have been co-opted as Associate Wedding Planner (not that I mind, I'm pleased to be asked) so this won't be the last you'll be hearing from me! :roll:

sweetpea
02-Sep-08, 22:42

as long as you don't overestimate the size you really are then it shouldn't be a problem. I'd allow up to 12 days for delivery. 8-10 really means 12-14.

Welcomefamily
03-Sep-08, 07:18
make sure you use paypal to pay, I have had no problems, just watch out for the postage costs.

ashaw1
03-Sep-08, 10:12
make sure you use paypal to pay, I have had no problems, just watch out for the postage costs.
Also watch out for import duty etc, if the sender marks the customs label as a gift then you will not need to pay import duty and vat when it enters this country. I currently have dresses stuck in customs and am being charged 12% import tax and 17.5% v.a.t (also adds extra time onto the delivery time) so it's worth being very well informed before ordering.

Birdie Wife
03-Sep-08, 13:10
I bought my wedding dress from ebay but it wasn't what you'd call a traditional dress - I looked at vintage pieces and ended up getting a stunning 1940s original ball dress. It's an usual colour (pale turquoise!) but I didn't want to get something that would only be worn once in my lifetime and then put to the back of the cupboard. It cost £80 and was really well packaged.

Have you tried Oxfam? They have a really great bridal section that a freidn recommended to me. In fact, they have Bridal shops in certain places. There is also Preloved.com which is a bit like ebay but just stuff from Britain.

The macs
03-Sep-08, 13:24
Hi I got my wedding dress designed by a girl in Glasgow.
Rubenesque Designs. 120 Sydney St., Glasgow : 0141 550 4994
She was fab, did the dress to my design and wasn't that expensive. She's a bigger girl herself so understood what suits etc :)

Thumper
03-Sep-08, 13:29
I bought a ballgown from ebay,it was made in china but was delivered from the UK,it only cost me £25 on a buy it now or best offer deal!The workmanship wasnt brilliant,but for what I paid it was a steal! x