PDA

View Full Version : Blue Monday Meeting

Reev
15-Dec-05, 01:20
Hey,

Ok where to start, we had the meeting earlier this evening in the Pentland hotel (no smoking room, DAMMIT)

Good points where put across, mainly about how to expand the music scene, expand on the ERC concerts, expand on events and where they can be held,

all in all, we talked about making things big, lots of good ideas

and getting a PROPER PA system (which is a big WIN in my books)

i could get into detail, but thats it in a nut shell,

next meeting is on January the 11th at the youth club (once again a no smoking venue AARRGGHH)

cheers

Uppiebalad
15-Dec-05, 01:44
and getting a PROPER PA system (which is a big WIN in my books)

That sound's like a good idea and it would be appropriate for Blue Monday to set up as a charitable company (if not already) with full inclusion poilicy, child protection policy (essential) and the rest. Then it would be in a position to apply for grants from the Scottish Arts Council (although you won't have much longer to do so- changes are coming), Lottery Arts funding, Awards For All, Highland Council, Highland Year Of Culture, CASE and a host of other arts funding sources to pay for the PA system that can then be used as a community resource.

Hows' about putting a bandstand back in Sir John's Square?

i could get into detail, but thats it in a nut shell,

Any chance of getting a bit more of the nut?
Obviously no dicissions will have been made as to the groups' future policies but what about office barers, committee members, who came on board and who left in disgust? (speculating) More please!

Reev
15-Dec-05, 01:51
The committee members, as of yet have not been finalised

Lottery Arts funding, Awards For All, Highland Council, Highland Year Of Culture, CASE and a host of other arts funding sources to pay for the PA system that can then be used as a community resource.

yeah, apologies for not mentioning this, but these were also discussed, well the lottery and Case aspect, i do believe

in attendance were: (apologies if i miss spell any names, my spelling & Grammer sucks)

Myself (obviously)

James Sutherland

Both Ian Sinclairs

Darren and Kevin Macload (dammit, how do you spell it, ive had a blank)

Ellen Allan & Shona Macdonald

Stuart Maitland

Jamie Reid (Jeid)

as for who came on board and left in disgust, thats not for me to say,

but as far as i know no one left in disgust, i left with ideas, as im sure everyone did

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Dec-05, 01:58
Why weren't you at the meeting, Uppie? I thought you, of all people, a perennial thorn in the side of artistic bueraucracy, would be down there waving the flag for us all. No? Set up a weblink next time, Blue Monday'ers, and I'll throw my weight behind it. Aye, all 11 stone of it, too. Glad to see it went ahead, and that something positive, anything, might come from it. Awrabest!

Reev
15-Dec-05, 02:06
Hopefully it takes off in a big way this time, hopefully

Uppiebalad
15-Dec-05, 02:20
Well you know as I'm in London, it's not easy getting about to the Pentland.
As the thorn in the side I know from the list of names above whom I wouldn't want there but it wouldn't be prudant or professional to say directly (or indirectly- so don't ask). However I feel certain that although there would have been a posative vibe about the meeting, later meetings may reveal a negative aspect which may inhibit the groups activities to the detrement of music in Caithness. The parents aren't always the right people to bring up their children!
It is down to all the musicians of Caithness who want things to improve to prove me wrong and I really do hope you will.
Sorry for not being very posative here but alas that is the scenario that presents itself to my viewpoint.

Reev
15-Dec-05, 02:26
That is your viewpoint, and thats fine,

In life differant people want differant things,

Whatever comes from this hopefully will once again breath life into what so many people seem to see as a dieing music scene

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Dec-05, 02:30
Let bygones be bygones, uppie. Stand taller than them - they're on an equal playing surface. I'm not a fan of the eye-for-an-eye foundation - it leaves everyone truly blind and crawling in the shadows.

Uppiebalad
15-Dec-05, 03:00
I am standing taller, that's why I work in London. There's no grudge, it's just an opinion- things the way I see them whether regarded as blinkered or otherwise. You'll see where I'm coming from as time passes.

Reev
15-Dec-05, 03:12
standing taller?!?!?!?!?!?, what are you guys talking about

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Dec-05, 03:38
I am standing taller, that's why I work in London.

I don't understand this comment. What are you implying?

nutty da drummer
15-Dec-05, 17:06
what happened at the pentland? whats the word? i tried to go then got stuck looking after family. total unfair!

Uppiebalad
15-Dec-05, 20:59
Will there be an article in tomorrows' Groat, perhaps that will shed some more light on this thing. It would be really helpful if the interested public could get to know what happened especially for myself and Nutty who weren't able to be there.

theboss
15-Dec-05, 21:29
There will not be an article in the paper tomorrow Uppy. Last nights meeting turned out to be an EGM rather than an AGM. This was because the group had not had a meeting within 18 months therefore making there constitution useless.

Last night it was pretty much decided that something does need to be done for the Thurso musical community and an official AGM will be held on the 11th of January to choose office bearers and decide on a direction for the group to aim towards.

There will be notices in the paper and posts on Caithness.Org nearer the time of the AGM so anyone interested can come along.

Cheers,
Darren

Uppiebalad
15-Dec-05, 21:42
Thank you Darren. Now the situation is clear. There was an outcome from the meeting and as a result actions will be carried forward. This may be progress.

Jeid
15-Dec-05, 23:51
Uppie, you seem to be really interested in setting up a scene, how about you try making it along?

You seem to be all talk, but not willing to take any action. You live in London, but there's plenty of notice given here. Come up.

You seem to be able to talk the talk, but can you walk the walk

Reev
16-Dec-05, 00:29
OK Uppie, what darren said, i do believe i clarified

once again, you single me out

like jeid said, rather than talk the talk, come up and walk the walk

MagicalTrevor
16-Dec-05, 13:47
Proper PA and being listed as a Charity would be awesome. However is the bandstand really necessary? Surely pubs across caithness can supply venues easily?

(note I am new to all this but offering my 5 cents regardless)

BustedShoe2
16-Dec-05, 19:23
I reckon the bandstand idea would be ace. It gives people the choice of environment they can enjoy performances in. Also gives the possibility of bigger gigs through the summer but space might make that impossible for that area of town.

I'm glad to see that everything has started movng and hope it works out well for everyone involved

Uppiebalad
16-Dec-05, 21:12
Well yes I think the Bandstand idea would be something of a luxury item on the shopping list but lets look at the variety of music in Thurso.
Thurso Pipe Band, Thurso Accordian & Fiddle Club, Thurso & Dounreay Strathspey & Reel Society (mouthful), Caithness Orchestra, Caithness Big Band, Pentland Brass Band, Salvation Army Band, various Folk musicians and a good many other bands.

Additionally Sir John's Square is used for Thurso Gala, Christmas Lighting & Fun Day and this year a Hogmany Celebration.

Next time your crossing the bridge into town take a good look at what is facing you. The bridge onto Sir Georges Street and Sir John' Square with St Peter's Church as backdrop, is a space with huge potential for public performance.

Sure there are plenty of good venues but what about Saturday afternoons and summer evenings. live music in public spaces often creates a very posative aspect within a town. What better way to create a vibrant music scene than a serries of concerts and gigs throughout the summer months and tourist season. The Pipe band are out every summer so let's think about it.
There was a bandstand in Sir John's Square for many years from around the early 1900s to 1975. I remember it there as a schoolboy although it was the tourist info quiosk by then. The stone plinth of the bandstand remains in the square, you know the raised octagonal flower bed at the Prince's Street end?

As for me doing anything for Thurso, I'm doing my bit from my end but what you need to realise is something in yourselves. You live in Thurso, in Caithness, it is your place and it will only be what you make it to be. If you want things to improve or you want a new fasility you have to make the noise, bang the drums and all the rest. You can sing so use your voice. Don't sit waiting for anyone else to take the initiative.

Your own local film group were the ones who campaigned for many years to bring cinema back to Thurso and they were ultimately successful twice in their aims. It's not going to be an overnight process.

So yes, make good PA systems your first priority, there's no point playing a tune if it can't be heard, but do consider a bandstand because it wouldn't just benefit you, it would boost the cultural quality of life for everyone in the area. (and besides you could get a maximum crowd of 5000 into the Sir John's Sqare viewable area)

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Dec-05, 01:36
I totally support uppie on this 100%. Reinstating the bandstand would not only be a tremendously positive move forward, it would provide a focal point, actively encourage community spirit (aye, remember that stuff?), and would reinstate a certain historical part of Thurso that was treasured by so many of its denizens. (Note: The Bandstand was torn down by Thurso Council as an "improvement." Yeah, right, like, whatever, man...)

Still not convinced? Take a look at the Ross Bandstand, in Edinburgh - it's used all year round for a variety of purposes. It presents a unique atmosphere all of its own, has a stunning backdrop (just like the one uppie mentioned), and has all the best bands (Blondie, Franz Ferdinand, The Proclaimers etc.) wanting to use it. In fact, Franz are campaigning to retain and renovate a small local bandstand in a suburb of Glasgow. They see sense in such things too, and they haven't put much of a foot wrong lately.

I'm all for the bandstand - even a new one - being put back in place in Sir John's Square: it's rightful home. Try telling that, though, to the guidedogs whose masters blow a lot of how air round the local council offices. I won't be holding my breath.

MagicalTrevor
20-Dec-05, 03:05
There was a band stand set up in WIck perpendicular to JD Weatherspoons - the times I was down the street on a saturday afternoon this summer yes there were often bands there but the timid caithness public often found it difficult to stand and watch from directly in front of the stand, instead opting to sit outside of the crown, or by Woolies.

I agree with whoever said the band stand is a luxury item considering many young bands don't have access to big decent PA systems so utilising a Blue Monday one would be awesome..

Uppiebalad
20-Dec-05, 20:42
The bandstand location at Sir John's Square is ideal in many respects. A few years back a study was carried out by my friends at CFT which looked particularly at safety aspects around the square as well as the running of a petition which has a broad cross section of ages on it. School kids who never knew of such a thing all the way up to Lady Thurso signed it.
The college did a gig there a few years back and this was filmed by CFT as reference for how the public would use the space during a gig.
The findings were very posative. Note this was a sunny summer afternoon but it was a Sunday.
A: Health and safety issues raised against the proposal by Thurso Community Council proved unfounded.

B: Public movement was mostly towards the enclosed area of the square. Very few remained on the path around the railings outside the square.

C: The average length of stay by the public was 40 minutes from a 3 hour session.

D: The static audience at any given time was between 50 to 60 people.

E: The audience sat at closest a mere 10ft from the bands. People also made use of the seats on the upper terraces.

Overal the nature of the square as a raised terraced enclosure in the centre of town presents a natural platform for performance. The ground in the square is dry and firm and there is a suitable mains supply for pa systems (see that big metal box to the left as you go in the bottom gate- it doesn't just control the street lights) for public performance in the square. Even the raised flower bed on the remains of the old bandstand has a mains supply. That's part of why the idea was motioned by Cinema For Thurso Group 7 or 8 years ago. CFT have just recently mentioned to the organisers of the Hogmany Street party that a bandstand would be an ideal destination for the proceeds.
With Blue Monday and it's hoped for new PA (make it bigger than your likely to need just in case you need it to be) and a parmanent bandstand in Sir John's Square there would be an excellent oportunity to develope a mainstream cultural focus not just on music but other performing arts. Make no bones if you go for it this has to be about more than just the interests of musicians, it has to be for all manner of live performing arts. Once you have that in your proposal money will be available through grants. You have to think bigger than you want to get what you need and you need a bandstand as well as a PA system.

Just a thought- don't go trying this but you know how Thurso cemetary has those terraces in the oldest bit. If the band were on the bottom terrace you could put the audience on all the other platforms and have an arena gig. Don't worry about the neigbours, they're dead to the world! (sick yes, but you know it's funny):eek:

nutty da drummer
22-Dec-05, 10:38
i couldnt make the meeting at the pentland, had to look after my brother, but do you have to go to the first meeting to go to the second? like would i be able to go to the meeting in january? even thugh i didnt make the first meeting?

Jeid
22-Dec-05, 11:30
Its open to everyone nutty, there will be a post on here to remind you nearer the time and you can come along. Gimme a shout if you go and you can come with me if you wanna?

jalna
08-Jan-06, 01:02
Wee problem with Sir John's Square, Brilliant venue right enough but the majority of it is a public highway. Okay for special occasions but you can't expect the city fathers (local councillors and police) to be willing to have the roads closed on a regular basis for anything more than about an hour at a time. A good concert needs to be a decent length of time.

Thurso and Wick and many of the towns and villages have good pubic areas, like the fields at Veiwfirth (how long before they disappear), the football pitches and loads of other outside venues that a concert could be organised in. A decent custom made (not temporary builders scaffolding) bandstand that could be erected anywhere and stored until needed and a good PA system to go with it. This could be made available to promoters and bands in the county.

To get that you need a committee with a constitution and charitable status would be an advantage. Then you need a good fundraiser who will access all the grant bodies and funders in the county, the region and the country.
You need to have a plan that explains what you are aiming for and why you think that what you want will benefit the county culturally and economically and personally I think it would.
You have to prove that all forms of Arts in this case Music want this to happen and that in doing it you will not only improve the Music Scene (All sorts) in Caithness for the local community but you will also be able to encourage outside artists to consider Caithness the Place to come to.

Sorry get carried away some times.

Caithness has been floating too long. It needs to make itself the (sorry for the cliché) the 'In Place to Be'.

Reev
11-Jan-06, 09:42
im not going to be able to make the meeting guys due to work, ugh

ive already told some of the guys, so if you could make my apologies for me

thanks

Reev
11-Jan-06, 09:44
oh yeah, a reminder, the meetings tonight, 7:30 at the youth club

Gleber2
15-Jan-06, 18:37
Just wanted to know what went down at the Blue Monday AGM??