PDA

View Full Version : rabbits & guinea pigs?

stroma88
01-Aug-08, 15:05
hey, i was just wondering if anybody has both rabbits and guinea pigs? we have a wee 3 month old house rabbit at the mo and we were thinking about getting a guinea pig to keep her company when i go back to college.

i thought it was common for them to get along well however ive read up online that its usually a bad idea as rabbits are very territorial and could also easly kill a guinea pig with its hind legs!

weve read up on how to introduce them if we did decide to get one, i was just wondering if anybody here has had any problems?

thanks!

x

unicorn
01-Aug-08, 15:27
I absolutely would not keep both together.
For one they have totally different dietary needs.
A guinea pig can give a nasty bite to a rabbit if they fight and a rabbit can easily kill a guinea pig. The main problem would arise when the rabbit got hormal and started to mount the guinea pig leading to a possible broken back in the Guinea pig and an all round miserable life. I keep both rabbits and guinea pigs and would never dream of putting them together.

stroma88
01-Aug-08, 16:01
thanks for your help.

our rabbits a girl so i dont need to worry about that!
i know that their diet is different as guinea pigs cant make their own vitamin c. we wouldnt be keeping them in the same cage so they wouldnt get into each others food.

unicorn
01-Aug-08, 16:11
Female rabbits do mount and become quite aggressive when they want mated.