PDA

View Full Version : Petition: Red Arrows banned from 2012 Olympics

2little2late
31-Jul-08, 23:26
Please sign this petition. (I have).

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed 'too British'. Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be 'offensive' to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team 'too militaristically British'.

Red Arrows pilots were said to be 'outraged', as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being 'too British' is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails, so if you disagree with this decision, please sign the petition on the link.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012

Tubthumper
31-Jul-08, 23:34
Might be an idea to wait until the BAe/Saudi international bribes sensation is sorted out.
Or maybe the Red Arrows in their BAe Hawk aircraft could stand as one more example symbol of all that's solid and trustworthy about British industry and business.
Mind you, most of it is owned by China anyway...
*Edit - no reflection on the pilots, their skills or the British Forces - it's just a shame that excellence in such fields gets lost in the morass of big business.*

grumpyhippo
31-Jul-08, 23:39
This is what could be missing in 2012, seen at Tain a couple of years ago

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0041a.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0052a.jpg

DeHaviLand
31-Jul-08, 23:41
Just another stupid internet hoax. Can you people not learn to check first?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/26/red_arrows_olympics/

Tubthumper
31-Jul-08, 23:43
Just another stupid internet hoax. Can you people not learn to check first?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/26/red_arrows_olympics/
Whoops - Caught!

TBH
31-Jul-08, 23:53
How do we know it really was a hoax, they could be lying, it has been known.

Anne x
01-Aug-08, 00:46
better to be supporting the duala9campaign petition and get it up to some sort of standard with all the accidents lately than this load of codswallop about the red arrows the pollution at the olympics probably no one will see them any way with the smog:cool:

TBH
01-Aug-08, 00:48
better to be supporting the duala9campaign petition and get it up to some sort of standard with all the accidents lately than this load of codswallop about the red arrows the pollution at the olympics probably no one will see them any way with the smog:cool:They should definitely make the A9 dual carriage way all the way to Wick.

DeHaviLand
01-Aug-08, 00:48
better to be supporting the duala9campaign petition and get it up to some sort of standard with all the accidents lately than this load of codswallop about the red arrows the pollution at the olympics probably no one will see them any way with the smog:cool:

There is smog in London? First I heard! Anyway, it might be gone by 2012. Or perhaps you just didnt read the thread right?

TBH
01-Aug-08, 00:49
There is smog in London? First I heard! Anyway, it might be gone by 2012. Or perhaps you just didnt read the thread right?Do the people in london not go about with masks on their faces due to the noxious gases.

Anne x
01-Aug-08, 00:52
There is smog in London? First I heard! Anyway, it might be gone by 2012. Or perhaps you just didnt read the thread right?

Sincere apologies no I didnt read it properly sorry Dual the A9 Campaign still a better campaign than any olympics 2008 or 2012 and worrying why the red arrows are going to appear or not all for 3mins of there show
ps have you all signed the petition to upgrade the A9

Cattach
02-Aug-08, 10:04
They should definitely make the A9 dual carriage way all the way to Wick.

Bit difficult since the A9 does not go to Wick. It goes to Scrabster across the Causwaymire. Wick is on a side road off the A9.

TBH
02-Aug-08, 16:51
Bit difficult since the A9 does not go to Wick. It goes to Scrabster across the Causwaymire. Wick is on a side road off the A9.
What I mean is, the A9 should be re-re-designated back to Wick, it's only right and proper instead of going to the Backwater that is Thurso and scrabster.

teenybash
02-Aug-08, 17:11
What I mean is, the A9 should be re-re-designated back to Wick, it's only right and proper instead of going to the Backwater that is Thurso and scrabster.

You've got it right...Bring the A9 back to Wick..:D

Anne x
02-Aug-08, 20:29
Apologies to 2little2late did not mean to highjack your thread
has everyone signed the duala9campaign in light of all the recent carnage on the A9
A) didnt want to post link cos I can't thick or what !! maybe a nice person who knows how to do it will oblige !!!
B) Loads of Thurso Signatures already on it so someone knows how to do it properly I just followed the link typing in duala9campaign

Anne x
02-Aug-08, 20:36
Thank you now please all sign
Make my day a long overdue cause

TBH
02-Aug-08, 20:37
Apologies to 2little2late did not mean to highjack your thread
has everyone signed the duala9campaign in light of all the recent carnage on the A9
A) didnt want to post link cos I can't thick or what !! maybe a nice person who knows how to do it will oblige !!!
B) Loads of Thurso Signatures already on it so someone knows how to do it properly I just followed the link typing in duala9campaignHere you go Anne:

dualthea9 campaign petition (http://www.dualthea9.com/).

Tubthumper
02-Aug-08, 22:28
Do I detect a wee hint of something there TBH?

TBH
02-Aug-08, 23:02
Do I detect a wee hint of something there TBH?A wee hint of peed offidness perhaps?

Errogie
03-Aug-08, 10:15
Come on folks if the A9 is to terminate in Wick this will sink all the good attempts to get popular support to have it improved!

Alex. Sutherland

wifie
03-Aug-08, 10:54
Love this place - from the Red Arrows (amazing btw!!!) to hoaxes to smog to the A9 and then finally the great Wick/Thurso divide! Who said some of the threads on here had nothing to do wi Caithness! [lol]
Sign, Sign, Sign by the way! That road needs changin! I know this is the sooth bit I am talkin about but what a difference Perth to Aberdeen - dual carriage way (bliss) and then Perth to Inverness - life in yer hands stuff! :eek:

Welcomefamily
03-Aug-08, 11:44
Talking about roads, (I ve sign the petition) and moving on from the slightly negative point of ending the A9 as far south as Wick. ;) What do people think about the new piece of road at Helmsdale??