PDA

View Full Version : Capital Punishment.

teenybash
31-Jul-08, 19:37
In the light of recent mindless/atrocious murders, throughout the UK, is there case to consider bringing back Capital punishment or or not.

gollach
31-Jul-08, 20:21
Not voting on your own poll?

lynne duncan
31-Jul-08, 20:30
yes it should be brought back
and a prison stint should be for the length of time that the judge laid down and not cut for good behaviour because if your behaviour was good then you wouldn't have been in there in the first place

teenybash
31-Jul-08, 20:59
When I started this thread I was thinking of the sensless killings that are taking place in Britain today. I thought of those who had already lost their lives to the madness of others and then I thought of those who are yet to die. I came to the conclusion that within our present laws there is nothing to deter therefore, the killing will go on and on and on................So, I took a deep breath and voted 'yes' Capital Punishment should be brought back and my reason....to protect the future of the nameless people who will succumb to death at the hands of another and to protect those, who without a risk to their own life, would turn killer.
If such an ultimate penalty were in place it just might prevent that fatal blow..............................

TRUCKER
31-Jul-08, 21:31
it should be brought back there is no deterent nowadays for serious crime. Something needs to be done britian is getting so out of control.

northener
31-Jul-08, 21:32
Senseless killings have always been with us.

I'd sooner walk down a city street on a night in this day and age rather than walk through, say, the stews of Southwark in London in the C16th.

And they executed a lot of people back then.

I voted 'undecided'.

I'd much prefer life sentance to mean exactly that. No remission = no recidivism.

Tubthumper
31-Jul-08, 22:37
A number of countries, including certain states in the US, have retained the death penalty as a deterrent to murder.

Strangely enough they keep having to use it. If it's an effective deterrent why should this be the case?

We hear many instances in this country of miscarriage of justice. A single instance of a person being put to death by the state in error is one instance too many.

Or perhaps it's a price worth paying to deter murderers...

I wouldn't like to be the one paying the price. How about you?

percy toboggan
31-Jul-08, 23:11
It should be restored for certain categories of murder. Including:
Slaying of Police or Prison Officers
Child Killers when there is a sexual motive
Premeditated Murder for material gain
Mass murder
Anyone who murders me

This short list is not exhaustive and reliance should never be placed upon DNA evidence alone.
The means should be the rope - hanging has few equals as a potent symbol for the ultimate justice.

TBH
31-Jul-08, 23:15
You forgot honour killings, that's so backward they deserve the noose for it.
Perhaps Mr Brown would like the death penalty for anyone that has been unemployed for two years, that'll bring the votes in.

Tubthumper
31-Jul-08, 23:20
How about a sub-poll...

How do you view Capital Punishment:

Deterrent for a range of horrible crimes
Revenge by the state
Removal of undesirable elements
Cheap entertainment for the masses
Make the population feel more secure/superior
Appropriate punishment for dispatcher of Percy
Vote now!

Whitewater
31-Jul-08, 23:27
When I started this thread I was thinking of the sensless killings that are taking place in Britain today. I thought of those who had already lost their lives to the madness of others and then I thought of those who are yet to die. I came to the conclusion that within our present laws there is nothing to deter therefore, the killing will go on and on and on................So, I took a deep breath and voted 'yes' Capital Punishment should be brought back and my reason....to protect the future of the nameless people who will succumb to death at the hands of another and to protect those, who without a risk to their own life, would turn killer.
If such an ultimate penalty were in place it just might prevent that fatal blow..............................

Good point, good post and I agree that in the situations where guilt has been proven without doubt the death penalty should be invoked. However, in the past many innocent people have been hung in this country, some because all the evidence was not presented at the trial. Sometimes the police are rather too keen to get a conviction so some vital informatioin has been forgotten about/mislaid or lost, and unfortuately in some cases manufactured. Murder has now become an easy option, if you are caught and convicted the prison term does not reflect the severity of the crime and serious offenders obtain parole far too easily and quickly. Unfortunately the world is now full of people who place no value on life, and others who are too keen to reform deadly killers by psychology. I'm sure that after a few sessions they will inform their psychologist that they are completely reformed and will never behave in that manner again. Their sentence gets reduced, they get out on parole and in next to no time they are back in jail convicted of the same offence. The sad thing is that the death penalty was withdrawn simply because our law enforcement officers were too keen to convict, particularly when horrific crimes were committed. They were just too keen and too sure that they had the right person.

On a lighter note, my wife has often said that if she murdered me instead of married me she would have been free long ago.

gollach
01-Aug-08, 01:01
I voted no. I don't believe I am soft on crime by rejecting capital punishment as I agree with other sentiments expressed here that any sentence handed down by a judge or sheriff should be served in full.

I would actually like to see prisoners put to work. Bring in the orange boiler suits and get them to do hard manual labour, get school kids to visit them as they graft to dig a new road, etc. If you break the law, your ass should belong to society until such time as your sentence is served. If you commit a crime that brings a statutory life sentence, that should mean life and you should work for the benefit of society for the rest of your life.

The idea of a punishment tariff and subsequent early release is disgusting.

Oddquine
01-Aug-08, 02:49
I voted no because I think that there have been too many cases where there have been miscarriages of justice..........both before the removal of the death penalty...........and since the removal in cases where the death penalty would have been an option if it still existed.

Once we can prove guilt as a certainty, rather than beyond a reasonable doubt..........then I'd go for bringing it back.

hotrod4
01-Aug-08, 08:48
Technically you can still be executed for treason against the crown, but it never happens.
I voted yes as I feel that child killers,murderers,etc deserve the punishment.It would save us the expense of having to pay for the likes of huntley,hindley.brady etc who are a drain on the system. That way it would free up the jails for more prisoners that use knives etc and for paedos that get away with suspended sentences. If their is more room for the crims that are getting off lightly it may deter other would be crims. and so would(hopefully)reduce crime overall as crims would see that they WILL get time for their crime.

it will never happen but i think it should be brought back for specific crimes that have been found 100% guilty after a trial and maybe looked over for fairness by a panel of judges to ensure it is the correct conviction, that way their would be no miscarriages of justice.

Angela
01-Aug-08, 08:57
It doesn't seem that long since we had a thread on this subject -doesn't time fly?:confused

I said no then and voted no again this time, because of the possibility of getting it wrong and an innocent person being executed. It would be dreadful to serve on the jury at a murder trial, reach a guilty verdict, the defendant to be executed, and then to discover later that they hadn't committed the crime.

However, I do find myself moving more towards the position of feeling it would be right for at least some murders, if we could be 100% certain of the person's guilt.

honey
01-Aug-08, 09:18
absolutely. Im just reading the story of the Soham murders. It makes me sick to know that evil monster is still breathing when Holly and Jessica had that taken away from them.

I think it should only be used in extreme circumstances though. Like child murders for example.

golach
01-Aug-08, 09:30
Personally, I think this subject has been covered more than enough on the Org over the years, so I will not bother to vote, my views are well known

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=41510&highlight=capital+punishment&page=2

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4808&highlight=capital+punishment&page=4

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=41510&highlight=capital+punishment&page=2

The Angel Of Death
01-Aug-08, 09:53
An eye for an eye that's what I say we have gone to PC if your in jail you don't have the right to TV playstation exercise equipment etc your there for a reason and that is to pay a debt to society and having all those luxury's plus 3 square meals a day shouldn't come into the equation

Plus this getting money for slopping out because it contravenes your human rights if your in jail you shouldn't have anything but absolute basic human rights what about the human rights of the victims

Get them out chain gang style

Satcomguy333
01-Aug-08, 15:43
I used to think that it would be a good and necessary thing, but I have changed my mind over the last few years. I think that there is a confusion in the system of the purpose of prison: punishment or rehabilitation. I am in agreement with other posters here that a sentence handed down should be served in full, but perhaps the first half (or some portion of it dependent upon the severity of the crime) should be HARD labor, with the remainder spent on rehabilitation, education, skills-training, etc.

TBH
01-Aug-08, 16:24
Just read on the BBC website that Barry George has been found not guilty.
The man has spent the last 8 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.
Makes a bit of a mockery of those calling for a return of the death penalty as this man may have been executed by now and for a crime he didn't commit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7536815.stm

teenybash
01-Aug-08, 17:17
Makes a bit of a mockery of those calling for a return of the death penalty as this man may have been executed by now and for a crime he didn't commit.

Good news indeed as anyone with half a brain could see from the start Barry George was not capable of Jill Dandos' murder.

However, I think it would be highly unlikely that someone would be taken straight from the dock and executed, after a guilty verdict.

There would be the appeals procedures which can and do span a length of time.........I don't think Barry George can be used as an argument against.....

Tubthumper
01-Aug-08, 17:23
Good news indeed. Raises a couple of question though, doesn't it? For instance who DID kill Jill Dando, also how did the investigation go so wrong?
Cast your minds back a few months - on this very community website the McCanns were tried and found guilty by some, based on the overwhelming evidence presented in the press. And we all know how that turned out. Just as well we weren't voting for their necks to be stretched, eh?

There are too many uncertainties associated with the investigation of crimes for there to be no way back: The punishment should be commensurate with the crime yes, but a categoric NO to the return of CP!

EDDIE
01-Aug-08, 17:30
Never in a million years should it be brought back you have to think about the people that are wrongly convicted thats why its wrong to hang people

TBH
01-Aug-08, 17:31
Good news indeed as anyone with half a brain could see from the start Barry George was not capable of Jill Dandos' murder.

However, I think it would be highly unlikely that someone would be taken straight from the dock and executed, after a guilty verdict.

There would be the appeals procedures which can and do span a length of time.........I don't think Barry George can be used as an argument against.....I never said that he would have been executed immediately, I meant that as he has been incarcerated for 8 years and if we had a death penalty, he would either have been executed by now or it wouldn't be long before he was. Inmates in the states have been known to spend six years on death row before being executed.

danc1ngwitch
01-Aug-08, 18:14
I voted no. I don't believe I am soft on crime by rejecting capital punishment as I agree with other sentiments expressed here that any sentence handed down by a judge or sheriff should be served in full.

I would actually like to see prisoners put to work. Bring in the orange boiler suits and get them to do hard manual labour, get school kids to visit them as they graft to dig a new road, etc. If you break the law, your ass should belong to society until such time as your sentence is served. If you commit a crime that brings a statutory life sentence, that should mean life and you should work for the benefit of society for the rest of your life.

The idea of a punishment tariff and subsequent early release is disgusting.
I also voted no, i agree.

percy toboggan
01-Aug-08, 19:49

No.
The man obviously had a mental problem - though not insane - he would not have been executed in my opinion. I'm glad he is out.

TBH
01-Aug-08, 19:51
No.
The man obviously had a mental problem - though not insane - he would not have been executed in my opinion. I'm glad he is out.I can dispell that myth with one name:
Derek Bentley.

golach
01-Aug-08, 19:55

Exactly!! TBH, shoots the "Hang them High" crowd's theory out of the water.

Gizmo
01-Aug-08, 21:23
Definately not, way to many miscarriages of justice for it to be brought back.

percy toboggan
01-Aug-08, 21:44
The doubt around Bentley's guilt as , at the very least an accomplice to the murder of a Police Officer, and his subsequent execution ought not to prevent the use by society of this ultimate sanction against some murderers.

My 'list' did not include accomplices, nor the mentally challenged.
Golach: Your choice of terminology makes the 'Hang 'em High' crowd sound like a group of bloodlusting vigilatnes when basically they just seek justice, and an element of revenge and retiribution...which any reasonable persons idea of justice would include.

I neither want them to hang particularly high, nor for very long, and in my world the majority of murderers would not be executed. You distort the views of others to serve your own preferences by using this rather odd collective.

percy toboggan
01-Aug-08, 21:48
Definately not, way to many miscarriages of justice for it to be brought back.

Pre the days of DNA evidence, which admittedly is not foolproof, and MUST be augmented with other non-circumstantial evidence, but it's a huge step forward.

Gizmo
01-Aug-08, 21:53
I can dispell that myth with one name:
Derek Bentley.

Agreed, my first brief post was done before reading all the replies and after reading a few of the pro death penalty posts one name kept popping into my head...Derek Bentley, for those who don't know the case it can be read here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley

percy toboggan
01-Aug-08, 22:02
Agreed, my first brief post was done before reading all the replies and after reading a few of the pro death penalty posts one name kept popping into my head...Derek Bentley, for those who don't know the case it can be read here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley

This case was more than half a century ago in a very different Britain.
Very few people who advocate capital punishment nowasays would want the likes of Bentley hung, I therefore fail to see it's relevance in any current debate on the matter

Gizmo
01-Aug-08, 22:13
Very few people who advocate capital punishment nowasays would want the likes of Bentley hung, I therefore fail to see it's relevance in any current debate on the matter

You make a fair point, but even with todays highly advanced investigation techniques there are still miscarriages of justice happening, the Barry George case is a prime example, you can say that there is little chance that he would have been executed in the 8 years he has been locked up for, but what if it had been another four years before his conviction had been quashed, there is every chance he may have been executed by then.

Tubthumper
01-Aug-08, 22:19
The picture of Barry George painted (which must have originated from the Police/CPS/prosecuting Lawyers) was of a psychotic gun-wielding loner, dangerously obsessed with celebrity and (most unforgivable in our tolerant society) 'seriously weird'.
Now we find he was a sad loner who was not capable of the crime.
So who's been lying? More to the point, now that the Met's case is in ruins, who is getting the blame for pinning the rap on a saddo? Who in the media is going to get the sack for misleading us all?
And most important, who the hell actually murdered Jill, what other evidence & leads do the Met have?
Or did they just not bother once they nailed the guilty man...

martin macdonald
01-Aug-08, 22:20
huntly, myra hindlay and ian brady should have all swung and many more for the ferocity of ther evil.

Tubthumper
01-Aug-08, 22:22
huntly, myra hindlay and ian brady should have all swung and many more for the ferocity of ther evil.
Fred West, Rose West, Colin Stagg, that GP who did 250 old folk in...? How about them?
What about this Slobodan Milosevich chap?

TBH
01-Aug-08, 22:50
huntly, myra hindlay and ian brady should have all swung and many more for the ferocity of ther evil.And you proclaim yourself to be a Christian?

Tubthumper
01-Aug-08, 22:51
Gimme that real Old Testament religion...

TBH
01-Aug-08, 22:52
Very few people who advocate capital punishment nowasays would want the likes of Bentley hung, I therefore fail to see it's relevance in any current debate on the matterOr the likes of Timothy Evans?

TBH
01-Aug-08, 22:53
Gimme that real Old Testament religion...Well tubs, when you look at the old testament, God was realy a murderous, evil god.

Tubthumper
01-Aug-08, 23:17
Revenge was right up there, wasn't it? Very violent in many ways too -knocked a guy's house down with a trumpet if I remember right. I can't remember why though...

Kevin Milkins
02-Aug-08, 00:40
Timothy Evans went through school with my late farther in law and I always remember him saying that he was the biggest porky pie teller of all time.
What he also told us is that he would not hurt a fly.
10 Rillington Place is one of my all time favourite films and Richard Attinbrough as Mr Christie and John Hurt as Timothy Evans are just the best.
It is proberbly one of the best examples of a miscaridge of justice but I still voted yes as I feel it is not in the best interest of the country or the murderer to keep some people alive just for the sake of it.
If it is done humanly and for the right reasons ,lets crack on.

Welcomefamily
02-Aug-08, 08:04
Bring it back in cases where there is no doubt.

Tubthumper
02-Aug-08, 10:33
If it is done humanly and for the right reasons ,lets crack on.

How can you 'humanely' kill a human being?? And what are the right reasons? Revenge? To satisfy our bloodlust?
Barry George would have been 'humanely' killed for all the 'right' reasons years ago, because (a) we (especially the media) were outraged that a white, pretty TV celebrity was shot on her doorstep in broad daylight and (b) BG was a psycho killer stalker weirdo who obviously deserved to be guilty of this 'professional hit'. In the absence of any clues, the police were happy it must have been him and the authorities bummed up the evidence to ensure he went down. Now we find it wasn't him. And they probably will never find the killer.
If he'd been killed, how would we be feeling now? Or would the org members think one dead weirdo was a price worth paying?
I'm losing faith in TV series and films about crimebusting

Kevin Milkins
02-Aug-08, 10:48
How can you 'humanely' kill a human being?? And what are the right reasons? Revenge? To satisfy our bloodlust?
Barry George would have been 'humanely' killed for all the 'right' reasons years ago, because (a) we (especially the media) were outraged that a white, pretty TV celebrity was shot on her doorstep in broad daylight and (b) BG was a psycho killer stalker weirdo who obviously deserved to be guilty of this 'professional hit'. In the absence of any clues, the police were happy it must have been him and the authorities bummed up the evidence to ensure he went down. Now we find it wasn't him. And they probably will never find the killer.
If he'd been killed, how would we be feeling now? Or would the org members think one dead weirdo was a price worth paying?

You can humanely kill somone in the same way as I had to have one of my dogs put to sleep,with an injection.
It certainly has nothing to do with vengance.
When you look at people like Bradey and Ian Huntley that would take there own lives at any oppotunity, what is the point of burdening a system with them ,that is at break point.
As Blackadder said " They are as guilty as sticky the stick insect stuck to a sticky bun".

Tubthumper
02-Aug-08, 10:57
Re Brady & Huntley - Why not just let them top themselves then? That would solve the burden.

Kevin Milkins
02-Aug-08, 11:08
Re Brady & Huntley - Why not just let them top themselves then? That would solve the burden.

Well thats somthing we can agree on.:confused

Tubthumper
02-Aug-08, 19:50
...If he'd been killed, how would we be feeling now? Or would the org members think one dead weirdo was a price worth paying?

No-one actually answered my query about how we'd be feeling if BG had been frogmarched, shackled, hooded, noosed, placed and dropped through a hatch, his neck snapped (and hopefully his head not flying off like that Iraqui bloke) and left to dangle until all signs of quaking and dribbling had ceased.
Lots of folk willing to squawk about how we should hang 'em high - not so many ready to confront the consequences, eh?

golach
02-Aug-08, 20:09
No-one actually answered my query about how we'd be feeling if BG had been frogmarched, shackled, hooded, noosed, placed and dropped through a hatch, his neck snapped (and hopefully his head not flying off like that Iraqui bloke) and left to dangle until all signs of quaking and dribbling had ceased.
Lots of folk willing to squawk about how we should hang 'em high - not so many ready to confront the consequences, eh?
I certainly would not like to be a member of his origional trial jury at the moment. They must be glad we abolished Capital Punishment.

TBH
02-Aug-08, 20:13
Lots of folk willing to squawk about how we should hang 'em high - not so many ready to confront the consequences, eh?Very Few, (in this country at least), could deal with the consequences of finding they had executed an innocent man.

martin macdonald
02-Aug-08, 22:20
Re Brady & Huntley - Why not just let them top themselves then? That would solve the burden.why not let the parents of the murderd children do the hanging if they wanted to?

Tubthumper
02-Aug-08, 22:24
why not let the parents of the murderd children do the hanging if they wanted to?

A fair point in that case. So MM, how would YOU be feeling if Barry George had been frogmarched, shackled, hooded, noosed, placed on and dropped through a hatch, his neck snapped and left to dangle until all signs of quaking and dribbling had ceased?

teenybash
02-Aug-08, 22:46

Anyone with any feelings would be hanging their head in shame at an innocent life being taken in the name of justice.
Were the death penalty brought back, changes would have to be made to the existing laws where, a jury finds guilt based on 'beyond a reasonable doubt.' This would need to be 'guilty beyond doubt.' and fully backed up with hard substantiated evidence. It would be less likely someone like BG would be given the ultimate punishment.
You also ask ' how can you 'humanely' kill a human being...before that is answered perhaps a more important question should be considered. 'How much humanity was shown to the victim who was murdered?'
Was any humanity shown to poor Laura Milne brutally murdered by Stuart Jack.................................

Tubthumper
02-Aug-08, 22:53
Anyone with any feelings would be hanging their head in shame at an innocent life being taken in the name of justice.
Were the death penalty brought back, changes would have to be made to the existing laws where, a jury finds guilt based on 'beyond a reasonable doubt.' This would need to be 'guilty beyond doubt.' and fully backed up with hard substantiated evidence. It would be less likely someone like BG would be given the ultimate punishment.
Or where the accused pleaded guilty (without being coerced) perhaps? I still think there is likely to be a tendency amongst those who are seeking a murderer to find an answer - after all society, and the relations of the victim, will demand it.

You also ask ' how can you 'humanely' kill a human being...before that is answered perhaps a more important question should be considered. 'How much humanity was shown to the victim who was murdered?'
Was any humanity shown to poor Laura Milne brutally murdered by Stuart Jack.................................
A truly horrible case. Do two wrongs make a right though? Do we reduce ourselves to the level of the murderer? should we be dealing, as a society, with the causes of such situations, like drug abuse, mental health support etc.?

Tubthumper
02-Aug-08, 22:55
And two girls as well, Laura Buchan & Leigh Mackenzie, the horrible murdering swine...

teenybash
02-Aug-08, 23:04
Tubs, I don't think the law would be reducing itself to murder by imposing Capital punishment....it would be carrying out justice and justice has no heart. We, Joe public are the ones with the heart and we, through governments, allow society and its structures to be destroyed because of the softly. softly approach with a therapy for this and a therapy for that which have been proved not to work...the child molester will always take advantage.....somewhere at sometime someone needs the ba**s to stand up and do the job of cleaning up this country.......

TBH
02-Aug-08, 23:08
Was any humanity shown to poor Laura Milne brutally murdered by Stuart Jack.................................I have to disagree, Barry George would have swung the same as Timothy Evans and Derek Bentley before him.

Welcomefamily
03-Aug-08, 08:06
What about capital punishment for man slaughter where the person has admitted the killing?

rob murray
04-Aug-08, 09:28
I have to disagree, Barry George would have swung the same as Timothy Evans and Derek Bentley before him.

Add the Birmingham 6 and The Guildford 4..all innocent people.

teenybash
04-Aug-08, 11:16
What seems to have appeared throughout this thread is inadequate investigations and an element of sheer imcompetence on the part of the police and the courts that have led to wong convictions............
I wonder what the figures are for those convicted of murder and presently are in prison or those who have already served time.............

Kevin Milkins
07-Aug-08, 01:05
In the early 1920 a 15 year old shop boy Harold Jones murdered a young girl aged about 8 Freda Burnell in South Wales.
It took a few months for him to be found not guilty and he was wellcomed back into the community in party fasion as it was inconceivable that a young boy could do such a thing.
Two weeks after being released from remand he murdered 12 year old Florence Litttle and her body was found in the attic of his house.
Because he was under 16 years old he was sentanced to 21years in prison and did not hang.
My brothers recently released book on the murders (Every Mothers Night Mare) has thrown up all sorts of questions as a result of his 16 years investigative work for material.
It now seem fairly certain that he may have murderd several times after being released from prison and Scotland Yard are now looking at some unsolved murders in the Ealing area of London of prostitutes in the early 1960 that could have been attributed to Harold Jones. To find out more on the story type Neil Milkins into your search bar and follow the links.

Margaret M.
07-Aug-08, 02:00
Great accomplishment on your brother's part, Kevin. Hopefully his hard work will result in answers for at least one family whose loved one's murder has never been solved.

Jones sounds like a despicable monster -- so young, yet so evil.

It took a few months for him to be found not guilty and he was wellcomed back into the community in party fasion as it was inconceivable that a young boy could do such a thing.

From: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2007/11/25/author-names-new-killer-in-drinkwater-case-91466-20159249/

“One of the first men to greet him back into his street was neighbour George Little who told him, ‘Well done son, we knew you didn’t do it’.”

Fifteen days later, Jones murdered Little’s 11-year-old daughter Florence, too, hiding her body in the attic of his parents’ home.

Kevin Milkins
07-Aug-08, 02:26
The more recent link that is being investigated by Scotland yard is the so called (Jack the stripper murders) Author's murder mystery claims - WalesOnline (http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A1f4cfczTppIqgEAVwxLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE0aHI2c21 zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA1VLQzAwMl8xM w--/SIG=14e4sli4v/EXP=1218158515/**http%3A//www.walesonline.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/blaenau-gwent/2008/08/07/author-s-murder-mystery-claims-91466-21463059/)